Tacca's NVG mod for 2.5+

VR USERS - I DONT HAVE A VR HEADSET, I cant troubleshot any of your problems. Other people might be able to support you but please stop asking me

nvg-mod.jpg

Tacca's NVG mod for DCS 2.8

Version 1.4 - 22 March 2023

Features:

NEW - Change colour, noise levels or contrast

NEW - Ring/tubes/google number option - simulate monocular/biocular/quadocular NVGs - THANKS TO RYUK47 for this code addition

Set NVG center point, size and ring dimensions

Black ring effect with adjustable thickness settings.

Variable render mode options

Fixed folder naming issue to be truly OVGME ready

Download here. OVGME read.

As per old mod, change settings BEFORE APPLYING MOD

Instructions

1. Extract from .rar to JSGME mod folder

2. Adjust variables as per guide below in “JSGME MOD FOLDER/Tacca's NVG mod 1.3.1/Bazar/shaders/common/MOD_nvg.hlsl” to change shape etc. You MUST change the variables before applying the mod in JSGME

3. Apply Mod in JSGME

Variables Guide

Render Mode:

0 = full screen,

1 = NVG with no ring,

2 = NVG with Ring,

3 = NVG with ring and slight zoom (not functional)

render-modes.jpg

Eye Size and position:

EYE_CENTER = sets center point of NVG effect on screen as percentage of X and Y starting at bottom left corner. eg (0.5f, 0.655f) = 50% across and 65.5% up.

EYE_SIZE = Sets X and Y diameter of NVG as percentage of screen size. eg (0.47f, 0.75f) = 47% of width of screen and 75% of screen height. Since most monitors aren’t square the y value will have to be larger than the x value to make a perfect circle; the ratio between the two numbers will be the same as your monitor aspect ratio

Ring Thickness:

Note – if using render mode 1 nvg will only be size of RInner. ie size = RInner(percentage) * Eye_Size = actual size.

ROFade = % radius of circle where black ring starts to fade out to regular view

RMerge = % radius of circle where black ring becomes 100% black on inside edge

RInner = % radius of circle where green NVG lens start to transition to black ring

I personally prefer a thin ring and this mod is released as such but some real world users (thank you Giaco) recommend the following ring sizes (that you need to set yourself):

static const float ROFade = 0.90f;

static const float RMerge = 0.65f;
static const float RInner = 0.63f;

Screen_151105_131232.jpg

TUBES - New!!!!: ONLY WORKS IF RENDERMODE=2

Tubes = sets which type of goggle/rings to use. 1 = Monocular, 2 = Biocular and 3=quad

Bioffset = distance between center of biocular tubes

Quadoffset = offset between center of quad outer tubes

image.jpeg

Screen_230322_233117.jpg

Gain/Color/Noise controls - NOW WORKING!!!!:

NVG_LIFT = gain multiplication value (50 for A10 and 40 for KA50 are good starting points)

Collorize_COLOR = hue of NVG color as a percentage of 360 degrees when using a HSL color wheel (eg divide Hue value by 360)

NVG_NOISE = noise division value, larger value means MORE noise (0.2 for A10 and 0.4 for KA50 are good starting points)

Version 1.4 - 22 March 2023

Change log

Added noise, color and gain controls

Added ocular/tubes number options - thanks Ryuk47

Refinement of comments and default values - thanks Ryuk47

Simplification of calculations - thanks Ryuk47

Removed nvd2.2 file as it is obsolute

Version 1.3.1 - 15 March 2023

Change log

Fixed for to work with DCS 2.8 and Multi threading versions.

Removed noise files as DCS incoportates simplex and perlin noise calculation .lua's

Version 1.2.0 - 27 March 2018

Change log

Added ability to change rendermode. 0 = full screen NVG, 1 = NVG without black ring and 2 = NVG with black ring. Default is set to Rendermode = 2

Version 1.1.0 - 26 March 2018

Change log

Added black ring effect with adjustable thickness settings.

Fixed folder naming issue to be truly OVGME ready

Version 1.0.0 - 25 March 2018

Only includes working option for NVG center and size (like old mod)

Does not include Black Ring

Cannot currently change colour, noise levels or contrast

ED has finally implemented a new NVG. I must say it looks mighty familiar to what myself and nrgized before we were working towards (in particular the DOF). As of at this moment I dont feel the need to make changes unless the community provides consistent feedback on changes they want. You can still use the mod below but I would go with stock for now.

Frenchy

Edited by tacca
V1.4 update for DCS 2.8
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

thanks!! Looking really good. One thing though. The mask that now is on horizontal makes the image looks like this, as in not centered. Also maybe it was set on vertical for VR headsets users?

(the green line, I draw it)

MEswZ2p.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

thanks!! Looking really good. One thing though. The mask that now is on horizontal makes the image looks like this, as in not centered. Also maybe it was set on vertical for VR headsets users?

(the green line, I draw it)

Hi Zaelu, Im guessing being from Nice English isnt your first language?? As in the description it is very wide (horizontal) for this version because it was easy. I am working on it to make it like the old modification where you can make the size and shape to whatever you like. It will be a few days before I achieve this though.

If anyone has screen shots of how the old mod looked in the KA-50 and MI-8 can you please post them; I dont own either of them so Im not exactly sure what they looked like shape wise.

Thanks

Hey tacca, yes I am living in Nice, France but english I know better than french... it was just fast diagonal reading... sorry :) . I like it like it is on horizontal better than round like it looks if old mask is used and also like in the nrgized mod.

as for how it looked in old mod on mi-8 you can see here:

ajJtODVdm1E

I think it will be beter to have option to have it horizontal oval or round. Also a bit more centered to the screen.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

With the frame missing, this is already a huge improvement!

Do you mean you like it without the dark rim around the NVG circle??

Hey tacca, yes I am living in Nice, France but english I know better than french... it was just fast diagonal reading... sorry :) . I like it like it is on horizontal better than round like it looks if old mask is used and also like in the nrgized mod.

as for how it looked in old mod on mi-8 you can see here:

I think it will be beter to have option to have it horizontal oval or round. Also a bit more centered to the screen.

Thanks Zaelu, I get what you mean now about wanting it more centered vertically. The MI-8 cockpit is definitely a bit different to the huey. The huey/a10 panels take up alot more of the bottom half of the screen compared to MI8 hence my my higher nvg placement.

Im going to make it so that (by default but people can change if they want) for NATO craft it stays at the higher location but for russian aircraft it is more centered.

Got user defined parametric masks working this morning (ie in laymans terms the shape isnt defined by a picture, it is defined by numbers that every person can change to what they want). I will refine it a little before I release the next version

here is a quick example.

shape-comparison.jpg

What I meant earlier is that even without the frame border, the fact that you managed to get rid of the vanilla DCS green is a huge improvement IMO.

Keep up the good work! I'm surprised your progress comes at such a fast pace, currently we see updates every day!

What I meant earlier is that even without the frame border, the fact that you managed to get rid of the vanilla DCS green is a huge improvement IMO.

Keep up the good work! I'm surprised your progress comes at such a fast pace, currently we see updates every day!

Thanks Grand, when you come off full time 3rd and 4th year uni maths study (exams last week) while also working 4 days a week the brain is pretty well primed and ready to do stuff like this.

I have an idea, why do we bother to reduce that much the already reduced FOV? I mean the game has it maxed at 135° and is very ugly... most of people play with far less... I have it locked in most planes at 90° and very few at 105°. That is far less that +180° we have in real life and while the NVG systems do reduce that field FOV... if we add the fact the details are also reduced in the game... I think a mask that looks more like a vignette would be better suited... like the default one only larger. Something like this:

1zAnhvo.jpg

What do you say?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have an idea, why do we bother to reduce that much the already reduced FOV? I mean the game has it maxed at 135° and is very ugly... most of people play with far less... I have it locked in most planes at 90° and very few at 105°. That is far less that +180° we have in real life and while the NVG systems do reduce that field FOV... if we add the fact the details are also reduced in the game... I think a mask that looks more like a vignette would be better suited... like the default one only larger. Something like this:

What do you say?

I dont recommend having the nvg view take up the whole space. As per real life we can easily look under and to the sides beyond the nvgs when needing to see things not under nvg. This is something that was so great with the 1.2 nvg mod as i could easily look at mfds or whatnot while still having a nvg point of view outside of the pit. Downside to the whole screen being a nvg view is you wont have that realistic view point.

Hey guys,

thanks for the input. The reason why the original mod was so great that with the change of a few numbers anyone can achieve the size and position they want. This is now already implemented in my version 2.0.2 and within the next couple of releases I will include full instructions

Edited by tacca
clarification

Thank you for this!!

One problem though,

I have a 4th monitor for MFD extraction,

And when I turn on NVG - the 4th screen turns white/very bright...

How can it be constrained only to the main monitor??

Thanks!

Callsign   SETUP

Thank you for this!!

One problem though,

I have a 4th monitor for MFD extraction,

And when I turn on NVG - the 4th screen turns white/very bright...

How can it be constrained only to the main monitor??

Thanks!

Hey ron, not 100% sure how that is happening. Im a poor uni student with a single 1650 * 1080 monitor so not sure how to recreate the problem. It will most likely have to do with the perceived position of the MFD when you capture/export the data.

1st I want you to check what happens as you turn the nvg gain down, im hoping the MFD will become visible and eventually turn black as the gain goes to 0. If it does then its a mask problem.

The NVG use a mask to apply the effect (like photoshop layers) that is calculated procedurally. ie if this pixel (x,y) is inside this area (defined using equations for ellipses) then apply the effect, if outside this area do nothing. It will be a matter of figuring out why the mask is getting applied....

Frenchy, if I understand you correctly there are 3 variables in play here:

- Size

- Shape (circle vs oval)

- X, Y position of the center

Could you give us a quick explanation where to alter them? I'm especially interested in keeping it circular but increasing the size of the circle and if needed reposition the center of the circle.

edit: OOOOPS!

I just read the comments in the files. :)

Edited by Grand

Frenchy, if I understand you correctly there are 3 variables in play here:

- Size

- Shape (circle vs oval)

- X, Y position of the center

Could you give us a quick explanation where to alter them? I'm especially interested in keeping it circular but increasing the size of the circle and if needed reposition the center of the circle.

edit: OOOOPS!

I just read the comments in the files. :)

Glad you found the comments within the file. For other people, written in the first post

Adjust variables in "\Frenchys NVG Mod 2.0.1\Bazar\Effects\common\MOD_nvg.hlsl" to change shape etc.

and this post from the original version still applies pretty accurately

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1654769&postcount=12

the thing to keep in mind is that nvg size is a percentage of screen width and height, and since our monitors aren't square if we want to keep the nvg as a circle the width percentage will be less than that of the height percentage by something similar to the aspect ratio of the monitor

Edited by tacca