CAS Page Coordinate Entry Inquiry

Shadow_1stVFW

I posted this on discord and didn't want it to get buried, so I'll do it here. I'm sure there are people with knowledge of the system, but I feel like there should be a way to A) change the coordinate system entry on the scratchpad from DDMMSS, I know UTM is coming, but there should be something. and B) the CAS page should be able to populate the lat, long and elevation from T0. I could be wrong, it's a gut feeling.

I was digging into the CAS page functionality and came across a question. First, there is a lot more in there than I thought was editable, which is nice. But where we can run into issues is the coordinate entry. Currently, it seems everything inside the jet uses degrees minutes decimal, or even MGRS (both are displayed in the CAS page and inside the EHSD>DATA pages, and just the degrees minutes decimal in the TPOD). But any time we enter this information it is in degrees minutes seconds, not an issue for navigation, that's plenty accurate, but not for weapons employment. So as of right now, we have to pull that coordinate from the TPOD in degrees minute decimal, convert it into degrees minutes seconds, then the jet uses degrees minutes decimal for the target point it's creating, which causes just enough error in those two conversions to render the JDAM useless when used like this.

My question is, is there planned in the future to be a method to change the coordinate entry method while in flight? Something similar to what the hornet uses for it's precise waypoint entry. I feel like it should be an option in the EHSD>Data sub page. I've attached a couple pictures below.

Screen_200405_000343.png

Screen_200405_000409.png

I came across this using the jet as an AFAC platform. The CAS page would be awesome for storing information. (And markpoints).

I put some more thought into it, and I have a hard time believing the jet can't pull the coordinates/elevation from T0 for this purpose. I don't know if it actually does in the real jet, but, the information it's looking for is on the other display. The CAS page has access to the mission computer, we know this because it knows out waypoints we have store and can use those for ingress and egress. Not only that, we can use this function to push the coordinates and elevation into T1-T10. So it can push data to the same database T0 is stored, I wouldn't see it not being able to pull that information into the CAS page. Not to mention it would be loads faster than transferring it by hand, and less prone to errors.

In the short term it solves the coordinate system switching issue I brought up earlier. But I think long term it's still something to look at. Plus it makes my AFAC a lot easier. Just a thought.

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

No, on page 1-254 of NATOPS AV-8 TACTICAL MANUAL, NWP 3-22.5-AV8B, VOLUME 1, A1-AV8BB-TAC-000, CHANGE 2, AUGUST 2002, it states that you can enter lat/long in 6 different formats, and UTM as 15 digits (ODU has an indicator to select if UTM is being entered):

All entries must begin with N or S for a Latitude, or E or W for a Longitude Coordinate.

DD = degrees

MM = minutes

SS = seconds

m, mm, and mmm = tenths, hundreds, and thousandths of minutes repectively

s = tenths of a second

NDDMM

NDDMM.m

NDDMM.mm

NDDMM.mmm

NDDMMSS

NDDMMSS.s

The length of the entry before and after the decimal point determines which format is being entered, and it is therefore superfluous to require setting and entry format.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1