[REPORTED] JDAMs miss in case of crosswind

abak

Hi,

I noticed that accuracy of JDAMs gets significantly worse if there is wind in the mission. I am attaching two tracks. I drop GBU-38 with approximately the same parameters: 18k feet, 265 knots, 6.5nm to target. The only difference is wind. In one track it is zero, in another it is 12 knots on ground level. In the first case JDAM is accurate. When there is wind, JDAM misses by tens of meters.

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or not. I can imagine that smart munitions are not all-mighty.

This is open beta 31.03.2020.

jdam_test_no_wind.trk

jdam_test_wind_12_knots.trk

What do you mean? JDAMs are also dropped in AUTO.
When you're dropping GBU-12s, there's that long vertical drop line. It is wind-adjusted, and if you put total velocity vector on that line, then you effectively turn into the wind. Have a look at my screenshot please. Target "diamond" is on heading 200, vertical line makes me fly effective heading 210. My hypothesis is that this allows accurate delivery of GBUs in windy weather. I would appreciate of someone from ED could comment though.

Screen_200404_220449.png.cf950b7b4cc3a5cfa08979968c890ec3.png

When you're dropping GBU-12s, there's that long vertical drop line. It is wind-adjusted, and if you put total velocity vector on that line, then you effectively turn into the wind. Have a look at my screenshot please. Target "diamond" is on heading 200, vertical line makes me fly effective heading 210. My hypothesis is that this allows accurate delivery of GBUs in windy weather. I would appreciate of someone from ED could comment though.

Oh yeah, that's has nothing to do with the lack of accuracy of JDAMs in windy conditions IMHO. Only ED know.

Stay safe

I've attached the gbu-38 track to the already existing gbu-38 accuracy bug report, thanks.

Is there one? The reports from last year were all discarded by ED saying "Not a Bug" so I assumed there was none. In fact, when ED says something like that I tend to say "ok, then there is no bug". So now I'm confused: Do we have an accuracy bug in JDAMs in DCS World?? Sorry for the continuous appearances here. ED must hate me for sure by now :)

Stay safe

Is there one? The reports from last year were all discarded by ED saying "Not a Bug" so I assumed there was none. In fact, when ED says something like that I tend to say "ok, then there is no bug". So now I'm confused: Do we have an accuracy bug in JDAMs in DCS World?? Sorry for the continuous appearances here. ED must hate me for sure by now :)

Yes, though it is generic to the gbu-38 and not specific to an airframe.

Yes, though it is generic to the gbu-38 and not specific to an airframe.
Thank you, this is really an issue for GBU-38 only. I've just tried my mission with GBU-31, and it was pretty accurate. Who says that killing a BMP with 2000 lbs bomb is an overkill?!

Thank you, this is really an issue for GBU-38 only. I've just tried my mission with GBU-31, and it was pretty accurate. Who says that killing a BMP with 2000 lbs bomb is an overkill?!

I tried GBU 31 with wind and it was as inaccurate as the 38. Curious.

Stay safe