Rudder pedals recommendation/advice

Hi all, like the title says. I'm looking to buy some rudder pedals. I want to upgrade to the Warthog so I need a way to use the rudders. I don't want to spend more than £200 so the Crosswinds are out (anyway they're too big to fit under my desk even when narrowed).

I've heard good and bad things about the Thrustmaster entry level pedals but the narrowness is a concern because I can be flying for hours and that apparently gets uncomfortable. I've looked at the Saitek but the reviews aren't great and I don't know whether they would be compatible with the Warthog or my current T16000m.

In short, I'd be grateful for any input (no pun intended) from any of you that have experience with the pedals I've mentioned or have any other relevant experience or recommendations.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i5 8600K CPU @ 3.6GHz, 32GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 500GB SSD (Exclusively for DCS World), Thrustmaster Warthog, Logitech G Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals. Track IR 5 with Pro Clip. Vaicom Pro.

EASA PPL(A), Glider Aerobatics. Modules: A-10C, F/A-18C, F-5E, Mirage 2000C, AV-8B N/A, Yak 52, Flaming Cliffs 3, Heatblur F14B/A, UH-1H Huey, SA342 Gazelle and all but one of the warbirds. Caucuses, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, Channel and Syria.

I would recommend Saitek Pedals (https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-PRO-Flight-Rudder-Pedals/dp/B01LYPMTPT) - the only ones that positioned wide enough. All other entry level peds are too narrow, not very comfortable if you have a stick in between your legs.

Thanks ruskybeaver. Actually I don’t have the stick between my legs, it’s on the desk in front of me. Also, is the Saitek compatible with Thrustmaster stuff?

Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i5 8600K CPU @ 3.6GHz, 32GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 500GB SSD (Exclusively for DCS World), Thrustmaster Warthog, Logitech G Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals. Track IR 5 with Pro Clip. Vaicom Pro.

EASA PPL(A), Glider Aerobatics. Modules: A-10C, F/A-18C, F-5E, Mirage 2000C, AV-8B N/A, Yak 52, Flaming Cliffs 3, Heatblur F14B/A, UH-1H Huey, SA342 Gazelle and all but one of the warbirds. Caucuses, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, Channel and Syria.

Thanks ruskybeaver. Actually I don’t have the stick between my legs, it’s on the desk in front of me. Also, is the Saitek compatible with Thrustmaster stuff?

sure, it is like any other usb controller, no conflicts with other devices. For the width - it does not matter where your joystick is, it is always more natural/comfortable to have peds more away than close to each other.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

I have the thrustmaster pedals and I wouldn’t recommend them, but not because of how narrow they are (you get used to that really quick), but poor build quality and stiction issues I’ve had. They don’t move very smoothly when I have my feet sitting on them (with weight) and nothing I’ve done has helped much. I’ve had some of the plastic parts break and so I’ve had to use elastics to make the toe brakes return to off when my foot isn’t pushing them.

Oh, and they are only a year old.

Having said all that they are the cheapest and get you into the rudder game so it might still be worth it to you, just don’t expect them to last more than a year or 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd love to have a set of those with toe-brakes !

OP , you may wish to consider CH . The pedals run on rollers so they'll never be the smoothest , but the design and costruction ensure they will last forever . Not bad for a less-costly option .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I had a pair of pedals that lasted quite a long time, I flew Falcon 4 with them back when it came out. I have just a few days ago replaced them with the TPR which is hugely better in every way. I do have to wonder if it will last the more than ten years my previous pedals lasted? *Hmmmm*

I've been in your shoes very recently and my last paragraph was the preface for where I'm headed. Rudder pedals can last a long time. Even crappy pedals that were fairly poor on day one. I have the feeling you may want to consider opening up your budget a little. You are probably going to have these things for a while and you're not far below the Slav's, TPR, etc. Just something to think about. It's always cheaper to do it right the first time than the second time.

I had the Saiteks for several years and they were ok. Not great, but comfortable enough to be used on regular basis.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Hi all, like the title says. I'm looking to buy some rudder pedals. I want to upgrade to the Warthog so I need a way to use the rudders. I don't want to spend more than £200 so the Crosswinds are out (anyway they're too big to fit under my desk even when narrowed).

I've heard good and bad things about the Thrustmaster entry level pedals but the narrowness is a concern because I can be flying for hours and that apparently gets uncomfortable. I've looked at the Saitek but the reviews aren't great and I don't know whether they would be compatible with the Warthog or my current T16000m.

In short, I'd be grateful for any input (no pun intended) from any of you that have experience with the pedals I've mentioned or have any other relevant experience or recommendations.

If you have any relatives up here in Yorkshire willing to pick them up and get them to you, I can give you a set of Saiteks for free. They are just gathering dust in my man cave.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Thanks all for the recommendations. I should have added that toe brakes are part of the spec I would be looking for. Not to mention that the VKBs are rarely in stock.

Tinkickef, I'm afraid I don't have any relatives in Yorkshire and it's a bit far to drive. I would be happy to pay for P&P if you don't mind the hassle? Either way, thank you for the offer!

I know that this is a niche market so the range of options isn't great but there seems to be two categories: Cheap & Cheerful or Bloody Expensive and nothing in-between.

Well, if "toe brakes" are more important than precision, contactless sensor, sturdy construction, longevity, ... up do 200 you are limited to:

CH PRO Pedals

Saitek PRO Pedals

Thrustmaster TFRP

I suggest CH PRO - despise their obsolete 8 bits electronics, because have durable construction and (theoretically) you have chance in obtain replacement pot's (or at least used to be possible) - what is not possible case buy Thrustmaster or Saitek. Pot' will worm out and fail soon or latter.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Well, if "toe brakes" are more important than precision, contactless sensor, sturdy construction, longevity, ... up do 200 you are limited to:

CH PRO Pedals

Saitek PRO Pedals

Thrustmaster TFRP

I suggest CH PRO - despise their obsolete 8 bits electronics, because have durable construction and (theoretically) you have chance in obtain replacement pot's (or at least used to be possible) - what is not possible case buy Thrustmaster or Saitek. Pot' will worm out and fail soon or latter.

There are also the thrustmaster TPR.

But pricy.

http://mobile.thrustmaster.com/node/8207#

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

I have a set of Crosswinds, CH Pro pedals and Saitek Combat Flite a pedals nd extensive experience with all of them. I have found the Saiteks the best overall mix of performance adjustable and price. They are on my main rig.

I have a set of Crosswinds, CH Pro pedals and Saitek Combat Flite a pedals nd extensive experience with all of them. I have found the Saiteks the best overall mix of performance adjustable and price. They are on my main rig.

Unfortunately, those Saitek's aren't available anymore.

Well, if "toe brakes" are more important than precision, contactless sensor, sturdy construction, longevity, ... up do 200 you are limited to...

There really isn't any need for that sort of attitude. Toe brakes aren't more important than anything, they are simply a feature I would like on the product I want to buy.

The Crosswinds and the Thrustmaster TMR are too big to fit in the footwell on my desk. So I have to look for something smaller. So cost isn't the real issue here.

As it turns out, the Warthog may not work for me after all because my setup makes it rather cumbersome (the palm rest is 15cm up so my stick hand will be set very high on my desk which is very uncomfortable) so rudder pedals may also have to wait until I can figure out how to get it to work.

Edited by Phil73805

Thanks all for the recommendations. I should have added that toe brakes are part of the spec I would be looking for. Not to mention that the VKBs are rarely in stock.

Tinkickef, I'm afraid I don't have any relatives in Yorkshire and it's a bit far to drive. I would be happy to pay for P&P if you don't mind the hassle? Either way, thank you for the offer!

I know that this is a niche market so the range of options isn't great but there seems to be two categories: Cheap & Cheerful or Bloody Expensive and nothing in-between.

Toe brakes required... Avoid Saiteks then, they don't work in DCS for many people, me included. I once got a single side working for a brief moment despite hours of tinkering and researching various threads on the subject.

It's a known Saitek issue and a major factor in retiring them.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

You must be jokng. Crosswinds are another dimension from plastic crap of CH and saitek. Not only in durability, feeling and precision but in customization also.

I'm curious as to why so many people are recommending the Saitek Combat Pro Pedals when they aren't available any more? And I've looked, a lot.

Had Saitek Combat Pro and wasn´t very happy with them.

And shortly after I ran out of warranty I had an issue - the left toe brake was no longer working.

In my oppinion, Saitek has a very poor build quality and also precision wasn´t too good either.

A wire was broken and I was able to fix it - still went for Crosswinds soon after and never looked back to the Saiteks.

There is a topic somewhere on issues with Saitek rudder pedals as I wasn´t the only one - so regarding my own experience and reading from other people having the same or similiar issues I would advice against Saitek.

I'd say if you can afford them, go for the TM Pendular pedals. I got mine the other day direct from TM (had a huge 23% off Black Friday sale) and couldn't be happier with them. They're expensive (even on sale) but when compared to what I previously had (TM T-flight), its a night and day difference and worth the money

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

I'd say if you can afford them, go for the TM Pendular pedals. I got mine the other day direct from TM (had a huge 23% off Black Friday sale) and couldn't be happier with them. They're expensive (even on sale) but when compared to what I previously had (TM T-flight), its a night and day difference and worth the money

I was seriously considering them but if I recall they are very wide, 53cm wide to be precise which is too big to fit under my desk. I think I'm going to go with the Thrustmaster TFRP for now. They aren't great but then again they aren't expensive and they are quite compact so space won't be an issue. Plus Thrustmaster has significantly better quality control than Saitek so at least I'll have somewhere to go if they break down.

It isn't a perfect solution to my rudder needs but, for now, I don't think there is a perfect solution.

Edited by Phil73805

I have both an old set of Ch pedals and a relatively new set of the TM TFRP. After using both sets, I have gone back to CH. Just better control and feel.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I'm curious as to why so many people are recommending the Saitek Combat Pro Pedals when they aren't available any more? And I've looked, a lot.

Saitek has been brought under the roof of Logitech recently.

And since that time only the "cessna" style pedals are being made, the combat style pedals are discontinued unfortunately.