Pulling 9G

ClearDark

Hey folks.

Been a while since I messed with the Hornet, took one for a spin the other day, flew some aerobatics, decided to check the air frame stress, but for the life of me could not get the bird to pull more than 8.1G

I did use the paddle switch for the G override, (hence the 8.1) but IIRC, back in the day of release, I swear I could of turned that Hornet around in 9G.

What am I doing wrong?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

The Hornet is not the f16...its limit are 7.5g with no loadout.

The paddle switch is an emergency switch for when you are going towards the ground.

Theoretically you can pull 9g pressing the override but you need to be quite fast

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I think this proof is enough ;). Maximum G achieved 9.9, full fuel, no load. Also, even tho you override G limit with the paddle switch, there is still some kind of limit due to the forces pushing on the airframe.

I know it's NOT what we want to achieve (because we are not gonna use it anyhow in a fight), but try to do this. Go about 600kts (or faster), override G limit, pull the stick, when you reach the limit, ease off and pull back on the stick immediately.

2hrzr4n.png

On the screen you can see 9.9, but in the end I was able to pull 10.8G.

The override switch is not an 'emergency' switch. The nominal 7.5g limit is here to preserve airframe hours. Overriding this specific limit doesn't mean you can pull as much as you want: The computer will let you pull up to the allowable airframe limit which is based on loadout and gross weight ... meaning in a heavy jet, you'll never reach 9g.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The override switch is not an 'emergency' switch. The nominal 7.5g limit is here to preserve airframe hours. Overriding this specific limit doesn't mean you can pull as much as you want: The computer will let you pull up to the allowable airframe limit which is based on loadout and gross weight ... meaning in a heavy jet, you'll never reach 9g.

I don't believe you are correct. Natops 2.8.2.3 "A g limiter override feature allows an increase in the command limit g for

emergency use." i.e. You can certainly overstress the airframe.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

The Hornet, at its lightest, is limited to 7.5g. When you start loading stores you can get down to 5 or 6. The emergency paddle will allow you to pull an extra 33% (this is bad for the airframe), so you'll need a normal G-limit of at least 6.8 to get 9G with the emergency paddle.

I've gotten to 9.9G's by the paddle switch going 400-500something knots. Real hornet pilots would only use in for emergency's such as not smacking into the earth, dogfighting or maybe to get out of the way from a missile.

Heatblur F-14 Tomcat | DCS F/A-18C Hornet | DCS A-10C II Warthog | BelSimTek UH-1H

RTX 2080 Super, i7 8700K @ 4.9Ghz, 16gb 2400Mhz DDR4, Asus Z370F, Corsair H115i Pro

It's literally your 'I'm now in a turning fight' switch, and it allows use up to the full rating of the airframe. This is a reduction of airframe flight hours remaining compared to peace-time operations.

The only possible overstress here, if any, will happen because the safety margins are gone and you might momentarily defeat the limiter with sudden control changes, but you won't be able to maintain that sort of thing.

I don't believe you are correct. Natops 2.8.2.3 "A g limiter override feature allows an increase in the command limit g for

emergency use." i.e. You can certainly overstress the airframe.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

It's literally your 'I'm now in a turning fight' switch, and it allows use up to the full rating of the airframe. This is a reduction of airframe flight hours remaining compared to peace-time operations.

The only possible overstress here, if any, will happen because the safety margins are gone and you might momentarily defeat the limiter with sudden control changes, but you won't be able to maintain that sort of thing.

That’s not really correct either. We have lots of discussions clearing up misconceptions on Discord. Feel free to join here: https://discord.gg/aQ7aqT

The jet will pull 7.5 Gs completely independent of the paddle switch, depending on weight yes. In the rare cases the aircraft is maxed out on weight, you may see a max G limiter of about 6.something. But this burns off quickly returning the jet to its full 7.5 glory in just about every circumstance . And without the paddle switch. If you simply pull too abruptly on the stuck, you can exceed what the flight computer can manage and exceed the 7.5 limiter. This is why we are taught to pull smoothly and deliberately.

In reality, if you hit the paddle switch and start pulling, you can start expecting things to break as you are now asking the jet to ignore the 7.5 limiter and can exceed it. You should not have to use the paddle switch to max perform this aircraft.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Lex Talionis

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

Where are you getting this information from?

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

If worse case in an (emergency), you can press your picky paddle which will override the 7.5G limit. it's not recommended tho, only for emergency purposes only. A friend of mine over stressed a hornet to 8.1G's, sadly he's flight ended sooner

My system specification

i7 13700KF/ Z690 Aorus Elite/ 32GB/ Galax 4080/ ViewSonic Elite XG320Q 32/ Next level racing - Sim cockpit - Boeing editing / 3x MFD's, Trackir 5/ TPR/ Orion2 F/A-18 Throttle/VPC WarBRD Base/ Hornet grip/F-16 grip/ HP Reverb G2

:thumbup:

You should not have to use the paddle switch to max perform this aircraft.

This, really can’t think of any situation where more then 7.5 might give you an advantage in the hornet. Pulling that hard will dump all your energy real quick.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

This, really can’t think of any situation where more then 7.5 might give you an advantage in the hornet. Pulling that hard will dump all your energy real quick.

I think that’s why it’s really not the advantage in ACM people really thought it would be initially and get exploited. If you go fast enough to sustain the higher G, your turn radias is going to be so large that someone flying the aircraft properly is still going to beat you if they are better than you anyway. Maybe you can gain a smidge on the initial break turn if you are both doing 500 knts over the other guy? If that was the case, maybe you shouldn’t be at the merge at that energy anyway if you intend on going into a horizontal turning fight to begin with?

and to unload the jet..pull yellow handle between legs ;)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are we talking Real Life or DCS?

Because i can routinely get the Hornet to 14G's without breaking a sweat, all time max was 19.1 G's (although my engines did stall, not sure if G related or lack of fuel). Low Fuel, unloaded, and wings folded does the trick.

I think that’s why it’s really not the advantage in ACM people really thought it would be initially and get exploited. If you go fast enough to sustain the higher G, your turn radias is going to be so large that someone flying the aircraft properly is still going to beat you if they are better than you anyway. Maybe you can gain a smidge on the initial break turn if you are both doing 500 knts over the other guy? If that was the case, maybe you shouldn’t be at the merge at that energy anyway if you intend on going into a horizontal turning fight to begin with?

Yeah n I’d also be worried about his wingman, You would never want to sacrifice all your energy for a quick kill that would lead you into a bad position afterwards. In my experience even 7+ Gs is enough to get you in trouble with those little 404s

Once you lose speed in the hornet you just can’t get it back quick enough.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

Log that bug :D

Because i can routinely get the Hornet to 14G's without breaking a sweat, all time max was 19.1 G's (although my engines did stall, not sure if G related or lack of fuel). Low Fuel, unloaded, and wings folded does the trick.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice, but I beat you by a few "hemorrhoidal" G's with the wings spread: over 21g:music_whistling:

Couple of things I noticed: My paddle switch got stuck after holding it through these insane maneuvers and I had to tap it to disengage it (that could be my Warthog button getting stuck) and it was cool to discover that the sim didn't care about my Warthog throttles being pulled back to idle after I'd blacked out. The in-game throttles were still at the mill stops after I woke up... makes sense :D

Edited by Gripes323

Things need to start "properly" breaking when the aircraft is over G-ed. On all aircraft, all limits, Over G-ed, over speed, excessive VSI on landings, fly in engagements, etc ....

This all needs to be modeled correctly or the lack there of will be exploited by gamers. The very difference between a "game" and a "SIM" ;)

p.s. on some aircraft, one of the most susceptible systems to G is the gun. May be a deterrent if ya lose your gun during BFM.

Edited by Lex Talionis

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg