JF-17 Asia's best fighter aircraft

blackadam

So how good is Pakistan’s JF-17 fighter? Analysis from RUSI think-tank’s Justin Bronk

Pakistan_Air_Force_JF-17_Thunder_flies_in_front_of_the_26,660_ft_high_Nanga_Parbat.jpg

Created in China, perhaps based on an Russian idea, the JF-17 is solely in service with the Pakistan Air Force. Comparable in thrust and weight levels to the Swedish Gripen, the JF-17 is an intriguing design, but how effective is it? We asked Justin Bronk, from the Royal United Services Institute for his opinion.

jf-17-thunder-dubai-air-show-pakistan-aeronautical-complex-pacpakistan-and-china-aviation-technology-import-export-corporation-catic-paris-air-show-siplay-pakistan-air-force-paf-plaa.jpg?w=830

“The JF-17 as an airframe is certainly competitive with the F-16, being slightly aerodynamically cleaner, with a lower wing loading but a less efficient engine than the F-16s latest F110-GE-129/132 engine options. In terms of pilot interface, sensor suite and weapon flexibility, the JF-17 is roughly at a par with 1990s-vintage F-16 Block 40/42 and could be close to the USAF-standard Block 50/52, although without the conformal fuel tanks, JHMCS helmet sighting system and radar upgrades which distinguish the later Block 50/52+ and AESA which equips the UAE’s Block 60/61s.”

jf-17_thunder-planform_view.jpg

How would you rate the JF-17 in terms of within-visual range (WVR) and beyond-visual range (BVR) fighter capabilities?

“WVR, equipped with the MAA-1 Piranha missile, the small and agile JF-17 will be a dangerous but not exactly world-beating opponent for existing fourth generation fighters. It is limited to +8/-3g and the current block 1 and 2 fighters do not yet have a helmet mounted sight system as standard (this is promised for block 3). The JF-17 also doesn’t have a greater than 1:1 thrust to weight ratio so would be at a significant disadvantage in terms of energy management against opponents such as the F-15C, Typhoon or Su-35. BVR, the KLJ-7 radar is significantly out-ranged by the F-16’s AN/APG-68 and completely outclassed by the Rafale’s AESA array, Typhoon’s CAPTOR-M and the Su-35’s monstrously powerful Irbis-E. The JF-17s small wing area and lightweight also limit its missile-carrying capacity which further disadvantages it in BVR engagements. However, it is worth remembering that the JF-17 is not really intended to take on Typhoons, Rafales, F-15s or Su-35s. It is meant to be a cheap and cheerful light multirole fighter and configured accordingly.”

JF-17 Thunder Dubai air show Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC)Pakistan and China Aviation Technology Import-Export Corporation (CATIC) Paris Air Show siplay pakistan air force paf plaaf sd10pl1210 c802ls56ft562missile.jpg

https://hushkit.net/2018/01/25/so-how-good-is-pakistans-jf-17-fighter-analysis-from-rusi-think-tanks-justin-bronk/

Interesting read! :thumbup:

This sentence had me wondering however:

However, it is worth remembering that the JF-17 is not really intended to take on Typhoons, Rafales, F-15s or Su-35s. It is meant to be a cheap and cheerful light multirole fighter and configured accordingly.”

Since Pakistan's arch enemy is India, and India obviously operates the Su-30 as well as Rafale in the future. The JF-17 on the other hand, is Pakistan's most modern fighter with, as per this article, comparable capabilities as Pakistan's F-16. So there are two options:

1) The JF-17 is the best aircraft that Pakistan can afford

2) The PAF thinks that the JF-17 is actually capable enough to stand a chance against the Rafale and Su-30

These two don't have to be mutually exclusive of course. But the JF-17 *is* *obviously* intended to take on Rafales and Su-30's.

I think another interesting comparison would be JF-17 vs. Gripen as both are relatively cost-effective aircraft.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

Arguably the best comparison is JF-17 vs HAL Tejas really, since they are in pretty much every sense competitors to each other. I wouldn't be surprised if the Gripen was a step above both in many ways (e.g. ECM), especially the E version.

Given all of that, I would be hesitant to call the JF-17 the best fighter in Asia. Even excluding Russian aircraft, there are plenty of other Chinese aircraft that are likely more capable (and of course more expensive).

Edited by TLTeo

Arguably the best comparison is JF-17 vs HAL Tejas really, since they are in pretty much every sense competitors to each other.

Except that the JF-17 is the best (alongside F-16) and soon most numerous fighter (surpassing J-7/MiG-21) in the PAF. The Tejas on the other hand is still both numerically and operationally much inferior to Su-30. So the Tejas can be a "cheap and cheerful" aircraft because the IAF has different aircraft which can do the heavy lifting, namely the Rafale and Su-30 and to a lesser extent the Mirage 2000 and the MiG-29. The PAF does not have that luxury.

Regarding the Gripen, I think it's probably much superior to both the JF-17 and the Tejas in a lot of ways, including build quality and design maturity. But that's hard to quantify or prove without actually having them side-by-side.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

Yea I suppose it depends on what your metric for comparison is.

What I meant is that if you look at things like price, configuration, payload or range they are comparable, but as you say the Indian Air Force will have more complex aircraft in its inventory while the Pakistani one won't.

Yea I suppose it depends on what your metric for comparison is.

What I meant is that if you look at things like price, configuration, payload or range they are comparable, but as you say the Indian Air Force will have more complex aircraft in its inventory while the Pakistani one won't.

Yes, it's more complicated than that.

If you compare an Audi A4 vs. a Kia Ceed, I'd rather have the Audi. But (given a similarly strong engine) they are comparable in performance, size, payload, fuel consumption etc. The Kia is not bad though. You can also compare the Kia to some Chinese brand that won't even be allowed on the road in Europe, and still find it comparable in performance, size, payload, fuel consumption etc. I'd still rather have the Audi. Or the Saab Gripen, as the case may be. You still need to (be able to) pay for it though. ;)