Interrogating bogeys

Direwolf

Quick technical question - when trying to interrogate a contact, how does it work?

I mean - your transponder unit should send a "question" to "the world"(It should be like a 'ping' in an analogy to the sonar world). It's should not a be sent to a particular contact (right?). Then, every unit that got a receiver should "see" the "question" and respond if it can . If it respond the correct code - It's a friend. If it fails to respond (need Mode 4 for instance) - the contact should be considered as "unknown".

So, if a friendly aircraft shutdown it's transponder - it's also should get an "unknown" state.

Additional question, if I send an interrogating request - should not the "other" side get a notification that It was interrogated?

Thanks.

Hi guys, I hoped that Wags's vid would shed light on this, but not really yet.

Does anyone know how hostiles are determined by NCTR if Mode 4 is negative? Is it purely based on foreign vs US aircraft types? Will foes using western origin planes ever be classified as hostile (if Mode 4 is negative) based on NCTR print?

Somehow I always assumed that a 'hostile' determination would be largely a pilot decision based on ROE (e.g. if both the foe as neighboring countries operate similar planes, one would expect perhaps visual ID would be required to determine hostile/unkown).

Thanks!

Hi guys, I hoped that Wags's vid would shed light on this, but not really yet.

Does anyone know how hostiles are determined by NCTR if Mode 4 is negative? Is it purely based on foreign vs US aircraft types? Will foes using western origin planes ever be classified as hostile (if Mode 4 is negative) based on NCTR print?

Somehow I always assumed that a 'hostile' determination would be largely a pilot decision based on ROE (e.g. if both the foe as neighboring countries operate similar planes, one would expect perhaps visual ID would be required to determine hostile/unkown).

Thanks!

Non Cooperative Target Recognition IDs a specific aircraft type based on the radar return. The radar will try to identify the specific signature of the intake turbines and other features and reference a database to see what it is.

In theory, a hostile flying a western plane would not be classed as hostile because the NCTR system should not recognize anything beyond aircraft type.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Quick technical question - when trying to interrogate a contact, how does it work?

I mean - your transponder unit should send a "question" to "the world"(It should be like a 'ping' in an analogy to the sonar world). It's should not a be sent to a particular contact (right?). Then, every unit that got a receiver should "see" the "question" and respond if it can . If it respond the correct code - It's a friend. If it fails to respond (need Mode 4 for instance) - the contact should be considered as "unknown".

So, if a friendly aircraft shutdown it's transponder - it's also should get an "unknown" state.

Additional question, if I send an interrogating request - should not the "other" side get a notification that It was interrogated?

Thanks.

IFF interrogation is broadcast, you are correct. What happens beyond that is dependent upon aircraft capability. Some can correlate one or just a few tracks vs contacts, some can do more. The radar modes in which the aircraft can interrogate is also a factor, some need more limited radar modes than others.

A transponder that is turned off would give a negative reply, yes.

Notification are aircraft dependent, some will, some wont. Some give audible cues in the headset and some will give advisory cautions upon being interrogated. I dont personally know if the f/a-18 can, or if it will be implemented at some point.

Is there a way to IFF in ACM within a merge? Last night online I went into a merge with a mix of red and blue F14 and F18 so visually identifying was impossible.

I locked a target with vertical scan and hit SSS depress like usual (Yes IFF was turned on) and it I had no friendly return. Fired a 9X and killed the target only to find out they were friendly (F18)

Did I do something wrong or is it a limitation of the current OB build?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Is there a way to IFF in ACM within a merge? Last night online I went into a merge with a mix of red and blue F14 and F18 so visually identifying was impossible.

I locked a target with vertical scan and hit SSS depress like usual (Yes IFF was turned on) and it I had no friendly return. Fired a 9X and killed the target only to find out they were friendly (F18)

Did I do something wrong or is it a limitation of the current OB build?

No, right now there is no way to IFF target locked by ACM. Its not yet implemented hopefully this Wednesday. The only option available is to IFF in RWS mode before you lock the target in ACM. Its huge disadvantage in merge situation right now.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

No, right now there is no way to IFF target locked by ACM. Its not yet implemented hopefully this Wednesday. The only option available is to IFF in RWS mode before you lock the target in ACM. Its huge disadvantage in merge situation right now.
Agreed a massive disadvantage for sure as there was no way at all I would have been able to operate the radar whilst flying like I was.

Oh well fingers crossed for the update tomorrow fixing it as like you say, unless it's dissimilar aircraft types to visually ID then its impossible currently.

Awesome! Thanks, Matt, for all your passion and hard work! Question for you or someone with more time on their hands: :-)

Is Mode 4 just a selection of the UFC that is 'on' once turned on and only 'off' once turned off? (i.e. - On the UFC, I press "IFF," then "on," then select "Mode 4" menu button option)

Thanks, again!

I don't see a "Mode 4" menu button on the UFC, I do see a Mode 4 switch, see photo. I thought this is what you were referring to:

Capture.JPG

What are the different switch options?

Capture.thumb.JPG.8019966fc9d178b6baeb7117cf6f777c.JPG