[REPORTED]P-51 gun dispersion after shooting and repairs

Dirkan

Bugs:

-Too large of a dispersion after you've been shooting until the outboard guns run out of ammo

-Dispersion cannot be reset unless you respawn in a new P-51. It's unrepairable.

I'm not joking when I say the dispersion can become as large as the entire gunsight, ring included, even after you've shot all the bullets. Controlled bursts doesn't matter.

That alone though seems overdone. There's no way you'd get that much dispersion out of a M2 browning that has shot 400 or 270 rounds.

Noticed that too. Someone stated on the forum that DCS simulates gun barrel overheat due to prolonged fire affecting the dispersion. And that, after some time without firing, the barrel will cool down and dispersion will return to normal.

I was never able to replicate this cool down effect. The more rounds you fire the more gun dispersion increases regardless of cool down periods. Once I spent all ammo in multiple short bursts observing deteriorating accuracy with each burst. Then left the plane sitting on the ground for more than 30 minutes to allow barrels cool down. When I re-armed the dispersion was still much higher than if you re-spawn in a fresh plane (like there was no cool down at all).

Edited by do.st

Noticed that too. Someone stated on the forum that DCS simulates gun barrel overheat due to prolonged fire affecting the dispersion. And that, after some time without firing, the barrel will cool down and dispersion will return to normal.

I was never able to replicate this cool down effect. The more rounds you fire the more gun dispersion increases regardless of cool down periods. Once I spent all ammo in multiple short bursts observing deteriorating accuracy with each burst. Then left the plane sitting on the ground for more than 30 minutes to allow barrels cool down. When I re-armed the dispersion was still much higher than if you re-spawn in a fresh plane (like there was no cool down at all).

That is my experience also. The effect does not go away even after you try and let them cool down. It has been like this from very early on.

It is also grotesquely over-simulated. Even with the light-barrel guns, the only way you'd get dispersion THAT wide is if you heated the guns until the barrels' steel softened; practically melting the gun.

And I was wondering why do I only hit well with first half of my ammo. I though my aim is getting worse with flight time xD

It also seems that only .50cal is experiencing the problem, even though it is not set in a small space over a hot engine... I have certainly not seen it on my jet modules.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Seems like yet another reason to not bother to get too involved with the WWII project modules yet.

Feeling a bit depressed about the whole thing. I feel like it could be another 5 years before WWII is going to be viable in terms of a quality experience across the board.

Oh well, I shall continue to keep a watching brief :(

Happy landings,

Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

Seems like yet another reason to not bother to get too involved with the WWII project modules yet.

Feeling a bit depressed about the whole thing. I feel like it could be another 5 years before WWII is going to be viable in terms of a quality experience across the board.

Oh well, I shall continue to keep a watching brief :(

Happy landings,

Talisman

It's not as bad as all that. It's not so terrible that you cannot use the plane effectively. I often go through complete missions and dispense all of my ammo without any real problems. You do notice it. Especially in prolonged air battles when you spend too much time on a target. I tend to use short bursts and that keeps it from happening. And it's really not too bad when you are strafing ground targets (less noticeable IMO).

So it's just an issue, like any other issue with any other module. I wouldn't say its something to keep anyone away from the WWII planes. I still have a lot of fun flying the P-51. :pilotfly:

Love the P51D and this is a cool detail feature to model...

But unless it is planned to be fixed and rather it Stays broken, maybe it shouldn't be there at all.

Would not bother me if it wasn't there really.

One less thing for the nitpickers to cry about.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
It is also grotesquely over-simulated. Even with the light-barrel guns, the only way you'd get dispersion THAT wide is if you heated the guns until the barrels' steel softened; practically melting the gun.

This is still an issue. The degree of dispersion is still over-modelled combined with a lack of barrel cooling. Any official word from ED?

Taken from a set of 20th AF B-29 crew notes talking about the AN/M2:

"There are several factors to consider in arriving at an answer to the question of how long a burst it is practical to fire. The ammunition has a high degree of accuracy. At 600 yards, when fired from an accuracy rifle held in a V-block, it will group in a circle 18″ in diameter. When fired single shot, using an aircraft machine gun on a tripod mount, tests have shown a 20″ circle of fire."

And

"In a burst of 10 or 12 on the same mount the group was approximately five feet."

• 2 years later...

Bump.

The issue is most probably still there.

- I have to ask for repair aircraft to fix this problem. This seems correct.

But

- with the "unlimited ammo" gameplay option simultaneously with the "immortal" gameplay option, the range is still shorting and the dispersion is still increasing.

Also

- It seems still does not matter on burst lenght or cooldown time.

Edited by AJaromir