Passive Span Always on?

DarkStar79

I am no expert, so I hope to be corrected if wrong.

The passive span basically turns off the radar emitter, but keeps the receiver on to detect "incoming" radar signals. By turning off the emitter there is a reduced risk of being detected while still having an idea where other radars are located.

Turning passive span off returns the radar to its full functionality. You should get the warnings in both modes.

When you turn it off, does the radar work as intended?

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

The passive span basically turns off the radar emitter, but keeps the receiver on to detect "incoming" radar signals. By turning off the emitter there is a reduced risk of being detected while still having an idea where other radars are located.

This is correct, as long as the receiver is on you will see interference from other radars. Since the receiver is on in both active as well as passive mode, you will never get rid off the interference from the other radars.

This is correct, as long as the receiver is on you will see interference from other radars. Since the receiver is on in both active as well as passive mode, you will never get rid off the interference from the other radars.
But I just read in the manual, it implies the passive mode can be turned on while in A0 (radar off). Maybe that is what OP means? That it doesn't tur off from that configuration?

Not at home to test it myself at the moment.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Is it me, or is the passive span bugged? When i turn it on, I cant turn it off again. It always shows directions to radar signals?

Put in A0 and than flip passiv switch on, its all gonna work. If you put radar on and passiv is still switch on, its gonna override passiv switch.

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

Ok, i thougt that you could turn off the passive span so you dint get any radar interference on the radar scope?? So you say that you cant do that? It enoying sometimes when you looking for a ship over sea and you get that black interference right over the ship.

Ok, i thougt that you could turn off the passive span so you dint get any radar interference on the radar scope?? So you say that you cant do that? It enoying sometimes when you looking for a ship over sea and you get that black interference right over the ship.

If the ship has a track radar on you (or a jammer) you will receive radiation pretty much continuously. If the frequency band of the ship's radar (jammer) matches the frequency band of the radar of the Viggen then there will be some interference. There is not much you can do about it. It is like something is pointing a flashlight at your eyes: you will be bothered.

The passive mode of the Viggen's radar does not turn on something, instead it turns something off (the transmitter).