=BURNING SKIES= WWII Server

eekz

I had two strange phenomenons yesterday:

1. after the return from my mission I was strafed on the ground, so I went into a hangar. I requested rearm & re-fuel and that was executed. I suspected I had incurred some damage (couldn't see any) because the engine wouldn't start. So I requested repair. When the repair was completed, my Bf-109 rose from the ground magically and ended up sitting on the roof of the hangar. The ground crew did not respond to my request to crank up the engine, so I could not try to get off in helicopter mode. I exited from the BS server but staid in MP.

2. When I tried to get back into the BS server I got an IC failure. The files listed as culprits were modified cockpit files for the F/A-18, so they were totally irrelevant for a mission where you cannot fly a F/A-18.

My Bf-109 has a cockpit mod as well, and that caused no problem.

Also, why did my system pass IC the first time I joined BS? There may be good reasons for the IC, but the way it works is a pain in he butt.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

The best option for ID at close range is to bind a button to toggle the labels on and off. I did this with the old and new labels.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

I had two strange phenomenons yesterday:

1. after the return from my mission I was strafed on the ground, so I went into a hangar. I requested rearm & re-fuel and that was executed. I suspected I had incurred some damage (couldn't see any) because the engine wouldn't start. So I requested repair. When the repair was completed, my Bf-109 rose from the ground magically and ended up sitting on the roof of the hangar. The ground crew did not respond to my request to crank up the engine, so I could not try to get off in helicopter mode. I exited from the BS server but staid in MP.

2. When I tried to get back into the BS server I got an IC failure. The files listed as culprits were modified cockpit files for the F/A-18, so they were totally irrelevant for a mission where you cannot fly a F/A-18.

My Bf-109 has a cockpit mod as well, and that caused no problem.

Also, why did my system pass IC the first time I joined BS? There may be good reasons for the IC, but the way it works is a pain in he butt.

I’m afraid this issues should be addressed to ED

Куплю B-17, можно B-24. B-29 не предлагать!

Burning Skies

=Burning Skies= @ Facebook

OK, here we go, a quick video of trying to ID an aircraft in VR on the Burning Skies server.

Please excuse the first 45 seconds, I'm not that familiar with the recording software.

Note the following:

- This is a recording from what is displayed on my Gsync monitor, meaning that it's actually slightly clearer than actually visible in my Rift

- I've dem'd the VR zoom. As you can see, it's frankly rubbish when compared to what monitor users get

In short, right now, you basically need to be virtually on top of the other aircraft to ID it.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

After trying the new visual mod today, I agree, Id’ing is very difficult in VR, it was with the old visual mod and still is with the current visual mod. 2d and zoom simply have the advantage due to sharpness, there’s nothing that has changed! As was stated you need to turn the labels off to id, I don’t think there’s any way around that at the moment. While the mod is better then no mod, I didn’t find that it really does much in the way of spotting. It’s set to activate so close that I’m picking planes up with my eyes before it renders. I think it needs to be set to render out to at least 5 nm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Campbell

Made some adjustments

Any chance of saying what the changes are?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

I see you replaced the dot (square) with a horizontal line. Problem is ,it makes IDing even more difficult, and now it makes it very hard to judge the other guy's flying attitude too. It can be mistaken for his wings. I'd bring the dot back and play around with the opacity. You can also try my label mod perhaps? not sure how it looks in 2D though.

I see you replaced the dot (square) with a horizontal line. Problem is ,it makes IDing even more difficult, and now it makes it very hard to judge the other guy's flying attitude too. It can be mistaken for his wings. I'd bring the dot back and play around with the opacity. You can also try my label mod perhaps? not sure how it looks in 2D though.

Checked your variant. I will adjust further to look labels like yours. Thanks :)

Edited by eekz

Burning Skies

communication

Hi

I have just started flying in burning Skies but have not been able to communicate with anyone over the radio, I am clearly doing something wrong. Can anyone advise please?

Neal

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

Hi

I have just started flying in burning Skies but have not been able to communicate with anyone over the radio, I am clearly doing something wrong. Can anyone advise please?

Neal

Nope your doing nothing wrong, there is no radio to communicate over.

Most flyers use third party comms programs like Discord or Team Speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I believe that there is an associated Teamspeak server, though it would be rather useful to mention its details in the briefing.

Just logged into the server. Couldn't see any obvious label on the friendly that was sat on my base.

Seems that if people use an older version of DCS where mission labels enforcement hasn't been fixed yet they see default labels but not those that is forced by the mission.

That is why I'll disable labels on the server for at least the time when older versions of DCS will not be compatible with the latest one.

Edited by eekz

Burning Skies

Whatever change was made to the labels since last time I flew, the ones that were in use tonight were totally useless for VR.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Last night I saw stock "dot only" labels. Not very helpful in VR, I agree.

Dot only works fine for me on own PC, but only when they're coloured, i.e. blue for friendlies, red for enemies.

Labels again disabled why? why we can not go with the old one? and not everyone is flying 2 hours around with 0 Sight?

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Labels again disabled why? why we can not go with the old one? and not everyone is flying 2 hours around with 0 Sight?

Because if someone uses older version of the game where labels enforcement was broken then he'll get default colored labels. It gives unfair advantage. Labels will be disabled for the moment when those older versions will not be online-compatible with the latest one.

Edited by eekz

Burning Skies

Unfair advantage?

The reason I’ve asked for coloured labels is precisely because of the current unfair advantage as held by monitor users when compared to VR pilots. I did upload a vid to demonstrate just how hard accurate aircraft identification is in VR.