Chuck's Guides - DCS Tutorial Library

Charly_Owl

Has anyone contacted Chuck about this issue? It's not just a matter of bad links: those of us who had added these documents to our Google Drive accounts (so that we would automatically get updated versions) no longer show them at all. It looks as though the documents have either been deleted, or perhaps there was some sort of error with document sharing permissions.

Has anyone contacted Chuck about this issue? It's not just a matter of bad links: those of us who had added these documents to our Google Drive accounts (so that we would automatically get updated versions) no longer show them at all. It looks as though the documents have either been deleted, or perhaps there was some sort of error with document sharing permissions.

I sent him a PM, but I am sure a lot of people probably did the same. I will avoid speculation as to why he may be gone since he hasn't said anything yet...

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

I will avoid speculation as to why he may be gone since he hasn't said anything yet...

He was hit pretty hard on Hoggit by a bunch of 4-chan like trolls in the P-40 thread. Wouldn't blame him one bit for rage quitting and give all of us the finger.

Please don't focus on a bunch of ungrateful trolls when there are this many people who appreciate and follow your work, Mr Chuck.

Can anybody email me up-to-date F-86 and L-39 documents if possible? Mines are outdated... susuwatari.tr (at) gmail

Edited by susuwatari

He was hit pretty hard on Hoggit by a bunch of 4-chan like trolls in the P-40 thread. Wouldn't blame him one bit for rage quitting and give all of us the finger.

Yea, that is my guess... happened a few times to him and it may have finally caused him to say forget this community. In my PM to him I mentioned that it's just a vocal minority and that his guides helped many get into DCS.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

I love how these turd-burglars hide behind their "rights" to post something without consideration for their responsibilities to improving the community rather than turning it into a cesspool of vitriol. It's the same reason I rarely contribute to SimHQ anymore; the same few people bitching about the same things and blasting anybody who questions the prudence of their "contributions".

Come back, Chuck. Your fans are in the silent majority!

Yea, that is my guess... happened a few times to him and it may have finally caused him to say forget this community. In my PM to him I mentioned that it's just a vocal minority and that his guides helped many get into DCS.

If he really did that, then it's not the first time. Weird approach to internet arguments, but it's his work after all, he can do what he wants with it.

Maybe he'll reconsider.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I doubt that it is the reason, the timing doesn't really match up. I waded through the raw sewage of Hoggit to find the thread that people are talking about, and Chuck only said that he was taking a vacation from Hoggit (which can only be a good thing. Given the median age of Hoggit posters, I suspect that it will only get worse as their schools let out for the summer), and that appears to have been 12 days ago. The guides only disappeared on the 22nd, I know for a fact that they were available in the days immediately prior to that because I was using them.

I also seriously doubt that Hoggit represents the majority of DCS users. It's on Reddit, which means that it's likely mostly high school and college students and dropouts. Not exactly the demographic that will pay $50-60 for a module, or who would be likely to have the time and patience to learn how to use one. There are exceptions, of course, and those individuals are unlikely to be using Reddit either.

I still think that the most likely cause is some sort of error. I know that Google Drive recently changed how they handle the upload of a file if there is already a file of the same name in your Drive, so perhaps something like that occurred, where Google wound up treating updated versions of his guides as new files?

It really wasn't that bad.

Seriously, it's the internet. What could they have done beside call him names and insult his mother. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Here's another bunch of Chuck's guides for download. I'll leave them there for a while.

chucks-guides.jpg

Download URL: https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/lucifah/chucks-guides.zip (207 MB)

• Like 2

My humble rig: Windows 10 pro 64bit; i7-6700k on Gigabyte Z170X G7; 32GB; MSI 980ti Twin Frozr; 512GB Samsung 950 Pro (NVMe/PCIe x4); 1TB Samsung 850 Pro; Komplete Audio 6; TrackIR 5 Pro;

DCS 2.5 with almost all modules; favourites: Shark, Mi-8, Harrier, Viggen, Mirage, Hornet

Well I for one would like to say a big thanks to Chuck for all he's done for the community over the years. Not just DCS, but CLoD and BoS as well. Salute and all the best, Chuck.

As for the trolls, whatever. If he has decided to call it quits, I certainly wouldn't blame him....some people are simply unhappy, ungrateful dungheads who get a kick out of picking apart stuff like these FREe guides. Don't like what he's done? Fine....take the time to develop some of your own? What that? You don't have the time, creativity or knowledge to do so? Then do us all a favor...shut up and enjoy work freely given.

• Like 1

Don't like what he's done? Fine....take the time to develop some of your own? What that? You don't have the time, creativity or knowledge to do so? Then do us all a favor...shut up and enjoy work freely given].

I wouldn't have been so nice. :D

Edited by NineLine
Removed the 1.2 content, please be nice.

Here's another bunch of Chuck's guides for download. I'll leave them there for a while.

I also have them stored on my PC, but I dont feel right sharing them without consent from the author :(

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

As for the trolls, whatever. If he has decided to call it quits, I certainly wouldn't blame him....some people are simply unhappy, ungrateful dungheads who get a kick out of picking apart stuff like these FREe guides. Don't like what he's done? Fine....take the time to develop some of your own? What that? You don't have the time, creativity or knowledge to do so? Then do us all a favor...shut up and enjoy work freely given.

Guys, before this gets out of hand. Haven't seen Chuck being attacked personally on Reddit or criticized for his work on the tutorials series. He got involved in the recurring argument of "is it allowed to criticize DCS developers or not", and eventually decided to take a break from Reddit. Maybe that was the last straw, as he is working closely with Veao and those guys are the usual target of critique and jokes outside this forum.

Besides, we don't really know what have happened with the tutorials as there was no official word from Chuck. So before you start calling people names and vent your frustration on the forum, at least wait to see if your anger is justified.

Anyway, the VEAO Hawk tutorial is still there as well as the tutorials for other simulators. Only the rest of the DCS modules are missing.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

What Chuck does is fantastic across the Flightsim community, first thing I download to really start getting to know an aircraft or for a quick refresher.

I don't understand some of the mentality in the niche, I was doing some research about some of these things quite a while ago and these responses really did surprised me.

I did offer to buy these guys a module for posting, they turn it down. Many including these guys stay in silence at this particular forum / section, because of the constant negativity.

To me it's a game that simulates flying an aircraft.It can't be 100% realistic and we shouldn't expect that simulation to mirror the RL aircraft for $39.99. That's my opinion anyway.

If this was a multi-million dollar simulator to train real pilots then yes,it needs to be as accurate as possible.

When I look back over the years at the flight sim community and how they react to what they are given,the massive arguments,the fallout etc,I can't see why anyone would want to keep developing these games for us,I really don't.

Flight sims always attract a lot of "attention to detail" & other passionate commentary. It is part of what makes it a great community and a place where I learn new things every day. But there needs to be a balance of respect between developers & community & too often both parties fall short of this.

Developers need to recognize the passion, embrace open discussion + implement changes to address negative feedback. But they should also not allow attention to detail to distract from the bigger goals of expanding the sim and making a profit. Without a viable business there will be no flight sims & we will all be poorer.

Community members need to contain their passion - to avoid being so negative & repetitive that it puts new members off buying the sim & joining the community. ED "utter ineptitude & incompetence" did not deliver the greatest modern jet flight sim we have today. No-one should lose perspective on this.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

what happened on that site_? can you give a link?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

what happened on that site_? can you give a link?

Try this link,is my google drive,at moment some link of Chuck guide dont work,i dont know why..https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxTqXFGlBzrpNlhaZ1E4X21xUms?usp=sharing

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]My dream: DCS Tornado

I will say that I do hope Chuck is okay, and just taking a break. I know I anxiously await the release of each of his guides as more often than not, they are far superior to anything the developers include with a module.

Edited by CrimsonGhost
typo

i7-7700K @ 5.2Ghz

SLI 1080Ti

64GB GSkill Trident Z RGB 4133

Asus Maximus IX Extreme

Custom Water Cooling Loop

TM Warthog/ MFG Crosswind

I do understand what your trying to say here CrimsonGhost, I would not say superior to developers tho, Chuck's are better for the simmer to get going with and limit some frustration, a big yes.

Chuck's guides help us bypass years of basic training for the aircraft that you would normally have already at this level of simulation, Chuck does an awesome job here breaking down the manuals for us to quickly get up to speed with the aircraft(s).

Developers do the BIG heavy lifting, you know the PC in a PC things such as the CDU for the A10. Then write the manual for something like this...Hard to breakdown and to what level and spend how much time on doing this.

Still, much better than military manuals.

1) Get up to speed quickly with the aircraft(s) using Chuck's guides.

2) Dig a little deep into systems with the developers manual.

3) If available, study deeper still into understanding the systems using the military manuals, as you would only have, if in the military.

The breaking down of instruction into guides should be left to the community using manuals and video and in the very very capable hands of guy’s such as Chuck.:thumbup:

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Chuck's guide certainly helped me a lot specially with Mig-21 and F-5E, and I hope to see them again sooner or later.

Arguments and attracting negativity are the part of the life. Don't let them take you down. Can't say about reddit (since I also got a lot of down votes in another topic like extreme punishments for drunk drivers and corrupt politicians), but this community is certainly thankful for your work. Hell, we might even welcome you back with virtual coke and strippers ;)

Edited by muamshai

This space is available for your advertisement

• ED Team
Seriously, it's the internet. What could they have done beside call him names and insult his mother. ;)

Sometimes it goes too far, and being one of their favorite targets I wouldnt wish their abuse on anyone. Too bad, another site lost to the winds...

That said, lets keep the discussion of Hoggit and their posts off this site. I dont want to bring that spite and venom over here. I am more worried about what is up with Chuck, and have reached out to him.

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png