asynchronous reprojection weird problem

Wolf8312

In game it seems to be falling below the needed 45-90- fps target, however everything seems to be running OK with very smooth head tracking and general gameplay. Also if I turn off asynchronous reprojection it turns into a judder fest which would seem to suggest its working as it should. Why then am I getting such terrible readings?

It seems to hit 45 but then drop and then rise back to 45 again.

Edited by Wolf8312

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Your settings have to give a minimum of 45 fps otherwise it will not enable ASW AFAIK

I know but it seems to be running fine but if I disable ASW the frame rate goes into a juddering mess.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

The point is it reads as not working but seems to be working, for example the steam VR fps monitor reports no missed frames when AR is on turn it off however and it tanks!

------------

In game it seems to be falling below the needed 45-90- fps target, however everything seems to be running OK with very smooth head tracking and general gameplay. Also if I turn off asynchronous reprojection it turns into a judder fest which would seem to suggest its working as it should. Why then am I getting such terrible readings?

It seems to hit 45 but then drop and then rise back to 45 again.

I've asked a similar question elsewhere. With "asynchronous reprojection" on, I never see more than 40fps in DCS in VR using the DCS frame rate shortcut. However flight is smooth and fluid, no judder or ghosting - as you would expect. Turn it off and its a mess. I have no explanation why I'm not seeing the sorts of framerates others are seeing 45+. But mine seems to work ok even if it is showing no frame loss with DCS reporting lower than 45 fps - so happy for now.

Edited by zafgev

Yeah the thing is I rememeber back when we didnt have the steam update it was always showing a consistent 45-90 except whent their were bombings when it would go nuts. Glad you chipped in because I think I rememebr seeing you post something similar but wasnt sure if it was just wishful thinking on my part.

Dont think I'm gonna worry myself now lol! I was just worried maybe that even though it seems to be better than its ever been maybe for others it was maybe even better! Best thing to go by right now is the steam VR missed frames counter I think. What graphics card are you on dude? Myself 980 TI

------------

Yeah the thing is I rememeber back when we didnt have the steam update it was always showing a consistent 45-90 except whent their were bombings when it would go nuts. Glad you chipped in because I think I rememebr seeing you post something similar but wasnt sure if it was just wishful thinking on my part.

Dont think I'm gonna worry myself now lol! I was just worried maybe that even though it seems to be better than its ever been maybe for others it was maybe even better! Best thing to go by right now is the steam VR missed frames counter I think. What graphics card are you on dude? Myself 980 TI

I was running a GTX980 before. I upgraded to a 1080 about a month ago. Things are more fluid looking out to the side but I don't see anything in VR above 40fps except in the menus where its capped at 90 - this is in multiplayer where I fly mostly formation and where smooth flying is a must. But like you said I'm not going to worry about it as it runs smooth for me. I think they should disable FPS counters as they drive people to paranoia :)

I was running a GTX980 before. I upgraded to a 1080 about a month ago. Things are more fluid looking out to the side but I don't see anything in VR above 40fps except in the menus where its capped at 90 - this is in multiplayer where I fly mostly formation and where smooth flying is a must. But like you said I'm not going to worry about it as it runs smooth for me. I think they should disable FPS counters as they drive people to paranoia :)

lol I know what you mean I really don't want to turn into one of those guys who can't sleep at night because is fps isn't where he thinks it should be!

------------

The point is it reads as not working but seems to be working, for example the steam VR fps monitor reports no missed frames when AR is on turn it off however and it tanks!

I realy cant figure out, what he ment by this:cry:

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

I realy cant figure out, what he ment by this:cry:

Steam VR has a little green bar which measures your frame rate and lets you know if you are missing frames or not and staying within the required 45-90 fps, if not it will show you by giving 'missed frames' warnings which are represented by red flashing lines. The 1.5 1.5.6 versions of the game however are reporting frame rates of often way below 45 fps even though steam VR is not reporting any missed frame warnings. 2.04 is hitting the target 45-90 both in game and in steam. 1.5 was not and 1.56 is not hitting the required fps though both seem to be doing so based on performance and steam VR readings.

Edited by Wolf8312

------------

What you're experiencing is literally the point of Reprojection. The game is only running at 45fps or so, but SteamVR is running outside of the game and based on the frames that it is getting is creating new frames in between to keep your head movements appearing smooth.

The thing is DCS is only running at 45fps (or whatever it shows), but because SteamVR is what is actually running your headset, it's creating extra frames so that your headset runs at 90fps. They're not perfect representations of what you should be seeing, there are artifacts even if they're difficult to see. DCS isn't able to and doesn't need to do that on its own, so DCS won't report on the frames that isn't creating.

Yes but in 2.04 DCS does indeed report a solid 45-90 fps, and 1.5.5 and 6 do not. I think when DCS is working as it should it should be reporting 45-90 though don't quote me on that. Also for simple peace of mind and to know reprojection is actually working and it's nice to see the 45-90 fps! With 1.5.6 for me at least I'm really not sure it was hitting the required target.

------------