F/A-18C Hornet LCD MDIs and grayscale FLIR/MAV/AG radar picture

How do I modify the files so they only the AMPCD is updated? Basically keep the top 2 CRTs unmodified, but update the AMPCD?

I like the legacy aspect of the F/A-18, but as i fly VR the AMPCD is completely useless. Your mod makes it readable. I think this way it works be a compromise.

Use only the file named "f18c_cpt-tex03.dds" and its Roughmet file and place them in the zip file named FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip.

If you want to use the AMPCD brightness tweak, use the AMPCD_init.lua file and place it in Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\AMPCD\indicator\

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I posted this question in the user files thread, before I found this forum thread. So please excuse the duplication.

Love this mod and really helping with the overly aggressive lighting and reflections that seem to be present in the current OB. One question I have, is there any way of integrating this with say the "Clean and Dark" or "Dusty" cockpit mods, if they are enabled via OVGME they overwrite the LCD's added by this mod and I'm back to the "super shiny" CRT's. I have tried manually merging the mods but not found a solution as yet, I will keep trying in the meantime. Just to add, OVGME doesn't actually state there is a conflict with any files, so I'm guessing something in the file hierachy is overwriting the MFD's.

Regards,

Z

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Hi,

I posted this question in the user files thread, before I found this forum thread. So please excuse the duplication.

Love this mod and really helping with the overly aggressive lighting and reflections that seem to be present in the current OB. One question I have, is there any way of integrating this with say the "Clean and Dark" or "Dusty" cockpit mods, if they are enabled via OVGME they overwrite the LCD's added by this mod and I'm back to the "super shiny" CRT's. I have tried manually merging the mods but not found a solution as yet, I will keep trying in the meantime. Just to add, OVGME doesn't actually state there is a conflict with any files, so I'm guessing something in the file hierachy is overwriting the MFD's.

Regards,

Z

If the mods are placed in the installation directory (DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Textures) in a zip, then all you have to do is to replace the files in the zip with my files (and add the extra Roughmet file) and then activate the mod normally via OVGME. If you use OVGME separately, you end up with a zip and my files in the directory. So there is no conflict, but also my files won't work that way.

Keep in mind that the file containing the AMPCD change (f18c_cpt-tex03.dds) also contains other stuff, such as the IFEI display, the RWR etc. If you want to keep everything else there as they appear in the mod, I'd suggest that you skip the f18c_cpt-tex03.dds and its roughmet altogether and just use my other files.

Let me know if this helps.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

Hi Harker,

Thanks for the quick response. I am using OVGME. For the cockpit mods there are no zip files in the OVGME source path, just files in the path

"G:\DCS World\_MODS\Clean&Dark-Cockpit\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Liveries\Cockpit_F-18C\FA-18C_Dark_Clean_001

Perhaps I have misunderstood the"zip" file reference?

Regards,

Z

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Hi Harker,

Thanks for the quick response. I am using OVGME. For the cockpit mods there are no zip files in the OVGME source path, just files in the path

"G:\DCS World\_MODS\Clean&Dark-Cockpit\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Liveries\Cockpit_F-18C\FA-18C_Dark_Clean_001

Perhaps I have misunderstood the"zip" file reference?

Regards,

Z

Sorry for the late response, I've been busy these last few days.

First, how are you activating the cockpit mod? Via a) Saved Games or via b) replacing FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip in the installation directory?

If a), paste f18c_cpt-displayglass_refl.dds and f18c_cpt-displayglass_refl_RoughMet.tga in the mod folder and overwrite when prompted. Then take the description.lua that comes with the mod and add

{"f18c_cpt-displayglass", 13, "f18c_cpt-displayglass_refl_Roughmet", false};

to it. Then, activate the mod normally, in the Special Options.

If b), paste f18c_cpt-displayglass_refl.dds and f18c_cpt-displayglass_refl_RoughMet.tga in the zip folder and overwrite when prompted. Then, you're good to go.

Use the Static Reflections option for MFD reflections, in the F/A-18C Special Options. My files replace those files, not the ones for "None".

Let me know how this goes.

-

No worries.

Well that's the thing neither of the cockpit mods use any zip files they both have their files dropped into "DCSDIR\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Liveries\Cockpit_F-18C\CockpitMODName

I'm using OVGME to activate the MOD, there are no zips at all.

Regards,

Z

No worries.

Well that's the thing neither of the cockpit mods use any zip files they both have their files dropped into "DCSDIR\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Liveries\Cockpit_F-18C\CockpitMODName

I'm using OVGME to activate the MOD, there are no zips at all.

Regards,

Z

Ah, I've never used that method. I think that, as long as they use a description.lua file, the Saved Games solution in the previous post still stands. If that doesn't work, I'm afraid I don't know how else to help.

Worst case scenario, you can always convert the cockpit mod to one of the two methods I describe.

-

Hi Harker,

No worries, I'll have a play around over the weekend, would be great to get them coexisting. Appreciate your help :thumbup:

Thanks,

Z

Ah, I've never used that method. I think that, as long as they use a description.lua file, the Saved Games solution in the previous post still stands. If that doesn't work, I'm afraid I don't know how else to help.

Worst case scenario, you can always convert the cockpit mod to one of the two methods I describe.

OK, so I basically seem to have managed to "merge" both mods, and looks fine thus far :thumbup: Thanks for the pointers and guidance. I still have some tweaking to do as currently I still need two mods enabled in OVGME to achieve the result, but I can live with that :smilewink:

OK, so I basically seem to have managed to "merge" both mods, and looks fine thus far Thanks for the pointers and guidance. I still have some tweaking to do as currently I still need two mods enabled in OVGME to achieve the result, but I can live with that :smilewink:
Cool, glad to hear it

-

I'm sure this is mostly due to my being a complete noob when it comes to User Mods and OvGME. But here goes...

What purpose did it serve to copy the FA18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip file from my game installation directory and paste it into your Mod...Textures folder? By leaving it in your textures folder, will DCS reference it instead of the zip file in its own textures folder? Because I'm using OvGME?

Sorry for the basic question, but I'm not really comfortable with the whole Mods process yet. And OvGME is like witchcraft to me. I see it working, but I don't know why. And I hate that. :smilewink:

When I dragged your Mods folder (with the updated zip file) into my 'OvGME Mods' I was able to enable it, and it looks great!

ETA - I disabled your Mod and things went back to the fat fuzzy green. So I guess I answered my own question. OvGME essential 'forces' DCS to use certain files.

Edited by eracer1111

I'm sure this is mostly due to my being a complete noob when it comes to User Mods and OvGME. But here goes...

What purpose did it serve to copy the FA18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip file from my game installation directory and paste it into your Mod...Textures folder? By leaving it in your textures folder, will DCS reference it instead of the zip file in its own textures folder? Because I'm using OvGME?

Sorry for the basic question, but I'm not really comfortable with the whole Mods process yet. And OvGME is like witchcraft to me. I see it working, but I don't know why. And I hate that. :smilewink:

When I dragged your Mods folder (with the updated zip file) into my 'OvGME Mods' I was able to enable it, and it looks great!

ETA - I disabled your Mod and things went back to the fat fuzzy green. So I guess I answered my own question. OvGME essential 'forces' DCS to use certain files.

So you got it working, right?

You can look at what OVGME does as simply overwriting files, while keeping the original file "hidden" and restoring it when you uninstall the mod.

The reason that you need to take the original zip and place my files inside is that DCS will look for that zip and then use the files inside of it. The reason why I say that you need to copy it for your OVGME mod is that you still need to provide a zip file that contains the textures for the entire cockpit.

-

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add it seems the latest OB breaks this mod. However, as I had effectively copied these textures into my existing cockpit mods I can still use the LCD panels, but of course the text is standard green.

Just to add it seems the latest OB breaks this mod. However, as I had effectively copied these textures into my existing cockpit mods I can still use the LCD panels, but of course the text is standard green.

New version is up and should be fixed for the latest OB. It also installs via the Saved Games folder now (thanks ED!).

-

New version is up and should be fixed for the latest OB. It also installs via the Saved Games folder now (thanks ED!).

:thumbup:

Mod disabled by today's update, waiting on hotfix, love the mod sir it is buttah!

I'm replying here too. First of all, thanks for the kind words. What is the exact issue? Everything works fine on my end, when I tested it. There haven't been any changes to the relevant files with the new OB. Keep in mind that you'll need to manually replace flir_texture.dds and materials.lua after each update or repair, as the updater will overwrite them with the default files. Alternatively, you can use a mod manager, disable the mods before an update and enable them after. The files placed on Saved Games should be working fine, without any changes.

-

Love the Mod, absolute must for me

Couple of things the AMPCD titles are all but unreadable with the map on and is dim compared to the MFDs with the map off.

Anyway either of these 2 problems could be addressed?

Many thanks either way as it makes a huge difference to the Hornet pit

I'm replying here too. First of all, thanks for the kind words. What is the exact issue? Everything works fine on my end, when I tested it. There haven't been any changes to the relevant files with the new OB. Keep in mind that you'll need to manually replace flir_texture.dds and materials.lua after each update or repair, as the updater will overwrite them with the default files. Alternatively, you can use a mod manager, disable the mods before an update and enable them after. The files placed on Saved Games should be working fine, without any changes.

Apologies for the delay in response, I replaced the files as suggested in your post and once again my Hornet pit is buttah! Great work on this mod sir, salute!!

Apologies for the delay in response, I replaced the files as suggested in your post and once again my Hornet pit is buttah! Great work on this mod sir, salute!!

Good to hear!

-

Love the Mod, absolute must for me

Couple of things the AMPCD titles are all but unreadable with the map on and is dim compared to the MFDs with the map off.

Anyway either of these 2 problems could be addressed?

Many thanks either way as it makes a huge difference to the Hornet pit

It's because ED changed the way the AMPCD font behaves with the map on, nothing to do with my mod. You can reduce the map's brightness with the GAIN rocker switch on the AMPCD.

If you want, you can also change the display font, either for all displays or for the AMPCD individually. If you open the materials.lua file, on line 28, you will find

MDG_materials[MDG_SELF_IDS.LMDI]     = {255, 255, 170, 255} -- White  font

. This line controls the MDI display font and its format is

{R, G,  B, Transparency}

. You can try increasing the B value from 170 to 255 to make the font completely white, for example or increase the transparency above 255 and that might help by making the font brighter.

If you want to change the font for the AMPCD individually, go to line 30 and change

MDG_materials[MDG_SELF_IDS.HI] 

to your desired values. By default, it's the same as

[MDG_SELF_IDS.LMDI] 

Let me know if that helped.

I also plan on tweaking some options specific to the AMPCD in the future, but that will be a part of a future update and assuming ED does not address the issue themselves.

-

Thanks so much for the response I'll certainly give it a go

I noticed before the AMPCD was great and legible.

I thought it might have been ED as I was running a Red display mod prior to yours and BOOM update arrived and it stopped working