OK TRACK WHT/BLK is for symbology....

Alphamale

and not polarity...BUT will the reversion to WHITE symbology from BLACK after each launch be fixed??? Plus holding the TDC while slewing sounds cumbersome...is this a workaround for Force Correlate? Meaning: When we let go of the TDC, will the seeker lock onto whatever it's pointed at? Including neutral TOOs? AND, can the MAVF be used against land based targets as well as ships? Otherwise, we have nothing in the A2G missile category that we can launch autonomously (F&F)

Edited by Alphamale

...holding the TDC while slewing sounds cumbersome...is this a workaround for Force Correlate?

This is my question. Is that a WIP thing or a permanent, realistic implementation of MAV functionality?

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

This is my question. Is that a WIP thing or a permanent, realistic implementation of MAV functionality?

Good question...holding the TDC while slewing seems impossible with my X-55 HOTAS. I am trying to figure out a possible solution but cannot come up with anything that that wouldn't be unrealistic and dysfunctional and also significantly mess up my current control mappings.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

will the release of the TDC be forgiving enough to lock them while they are moving?

In the absence of an answer from Wags/ED, I would hazard a guess that... probably? Mavericks work by keeping the contrast of the target point, plus it'd be crazy if the Hornet couldn't engage moving targets with Maverick while its contemporaries (F-16, A-10C, AV-8B) can.

i7-4770k | EVGA GTX 980 SC | 16GB DDR3 | TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, AV-8B, FC3, A-10C, Black Shark II, UH-1H, F-86F, MiG-21bis, Mirage 2000C, AJS-37, F-5E :pilotfly:

In the absence of an answer from Wags/ED, I would hazard a guess that... probably? Mavericks work by keeping the contrast of the target point, plus it'd be crazy if the Hornet couldn't engage moving targets with Maverick while its contemporaries (F-16, A-10C, AV-8B) can.

Care to hazard another guess? :) What is meant by this statement exactly? "TRACK does NOT indicate seeker tracking state." Does this mean that we cannot be sure if we locked onto a tank or a piece of ground besides it? So when the tank moves, we miss? Am I reading that correctly?

I think that just means that the seeker is biased towards locking points that are either white (WHT) or black (BLK).

If you watch the example video Wags linked, you can see the crosshairs change noticeably when it locks (seeker tracking state) a target ("shaking" for want of a better word!).

i7-4770k | EVGA GTX 980 SC | 16GB DDR3 | TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, AV-8B, FC3, A-10C, Black Shark II, UH-1H, F-86F, MiG-21bis, Mirage 2000C, AJS-37, F-5E :pilotfly:

I think that just means that the seeker is biased towards locking points that are either white (WHT) or black (BLK).

If you watch the example video Wags linked, you can see the crosshairs change noticeably when it locks (seeker tracking state) a target ("shaking" for want of a better word!).

And that means? Could you explain WHT locking points as opposed to BLK locking points? What are these points? Points of contrast? Where are they located? If so, then for all I know I could be locking onto a big boulder instead of a tank.

Edited by Alphamale

And that means? Could you explain WHT locking points as opposed to BLK locking points? What are these points? Points of contrast? Where are they located? If so, then for all I know I could be locking onto a big boulder instead of a tank.

A boulder would likely be close to ambient temperature and should not be picked up by the Maverick seeker. The idea is that tanks and other vehicles are hot and thus will contrast against the colder surrounding environment. In WHT(white = hot)mode the tanks will be white against the dark surroundings. And vice versa in BHT mode.

A boulder would likely be close to ambient temperature and should not be picked up by the Maverick seeker. The idea is that tanks and other vehicles are hot and thus will contrast against the colder surrounding environment. In WHT(white = hot)mode the tanks will be white against the dark surroundings. And vice versa in BHT mode.

Ok, so the points of contrast are based on heat and not color...so why would we not have the option to use polarity in getting a better picture of our potential target? Wags already said that the Hornet does not use White Hot or Black Hot polarity displays...;but I know other platforms use them

Wags already said that the Hornet does not use White Hot or Black Hot polarity displays...;but I know other platforms use them

Not for the maverick. It is not capable of BHot/WHot display. All the polarity switch does is determine what contrast the seeker looks for, be it lighter or darker than the background. The symbology colour change is merely an indication of which is selected.

The IIR/TV Maverick neither knows nor cares what is is tracking, as long as there is sufficien contrast it’ll track, be it a tank, car, or bush. In DCS, as modelled today, Mavericks will track any unit/static model with a hit box.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

• ED Team
Good question...holding the TDC while slewing seems impossible with my X-55 HOTAS. I am trying to figure out a possible solution but cannot come up with anything that that wouldn't be unrealistic and dysfunctional and also significantly mess up my current control mappings.

You will be able to assign TDC depress to something else if you like, in testing I used the TDC depress on my throttle, using a different button on my HOTAS, and using a keyboard command. SO there should be something you can work with, especially with the X-55 which has a lot of options for commands.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Not for the maverick. It is not capable of BHot/WHot display. All the polarity switch does is determine what contrast the seeker looks for, be it lighter or darker than the background. The symbology colour change is merely an indication of which is selected.

The IIR/TV Maverick neither knows nor cares what is is tracking, as long as there is sufficien contrast it’ll track, be it a tank, car, or bush. In DCS, as modelled today, Mavericks will track any unit/static model with a hit box.

So the Longbow doesn't use its WHOT/BHOT for tgt acquisition with MAVs or Hellfires? And let me just clarify this. Are you saying that the IR MAV is not capable of locking a target that has been acquired via a BHOT/WHOT system? Or can it use such a system, but it just happens that the Hornet does not use a display to show you BHOT vs WHOT environs?

Edited by Alphamale

So the Longbow doesn't use its WHOT/BHOT for tgt acquisition with MAVs or Hellfires?

It does. But that comes from the aircraft systems not the weapon seeker.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

2 questions:

* Slewing by holding depress button: is it realistic? sounds hard to me

* Does it mean that we don't need to wait for a contrast catch for the seeker? will it lock anything as soon as we release the button?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

• ED Team
2 questions:

* Slewing by holding depress button: is it realistic? sounds hard to me

* Does it mean that we don't need to wait for a contrast catch for the seeker? will it lock anything as soon as we release the button?

Yes, and Yes if there is a valid target.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Another question while we're on this topic...Wags, last statement on Basic Operation : "If a TGT point is set, the seeker will auto-Slave to the location. Once slaved, press the HOTAS undesignate button to allow manual slew." Does this mean that once the Undesignate is pushed, will the TDC slew back up to the Velocity Vector or will it just stay in the area that the TGT was previously locked...hopefully the latter, that way we can quickly lock a specific target in that area rather than slewing it all the way back down from the VV indicator...designated WPTs can then be used to lock a point on the ground and we can quickly fine tune the lock as we approach the targeted WPT...is that possible?

Damn, I really like using a display that shows targets as white dots against a black background on occasions...:(

Once ATFLIR is implemented, I'm sure you'll be able to do this.

Re the "undesignate" function with WPDSG waypoints, I'm not sure. I believe the -65E currently slews to the velocity vector, but the way this is worded sounds like we'll be able to slew around the target waypoint.