What's the best anti torque pedals for a heli sim these days?

d0ppler

The Thrustmaster Pendular are insanely expensive, but do they serve good for a Huey?

What about Thrustmaster TFRP T.Flight?

Or the Logitech G Pro?

Your comments and views are greatly appreciated.

A-10C, AV-8B, Ka-50, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F/A-18C, L-39, Mi-8, MiG-21, MiG-29, SA34, Spitfire, Su-27, Su-33, UH-1H

For helos , check the VKB rudder pedals .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

The Komodo Simulations pedals are also good and I have used them but do not own them.

They are smooth and realistic for the chopper simmer.

https://komodosimulations.co.uk/

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I have the tpr pedals from thrustmaster you might to do the dampners mod and remove the springs that is what I’m using

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

For helos , check the VKB rudder pedals .

I can second the VKB T-rudder Mk.IV pedals. I have used them for, like, 3.5 years at this point? They are excellent for helicopters which is why I bought them. They are precise and quite small, so they fit everywhere. Downside is of course the lack of toe brakes, but if your focus is helicopters, then they are perfect.

MFG crosswinds are good for jumping between helicopters and jets. because you can easily unhook the spring to fly springless for helicopters.

then re hook for fixed wing.

they are also nice and wide apart for good control.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

I've ordered the VKB rudders now, and looking forward to try them! The MFG looks cool, but I really loved the simplicity of the VKBs. Thanks again for your advice <3

Edited by d0ppler

A-10C, AV-8B, Ka-50, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F/A-18C, L-39, Mi-8, MiG-21, MiG-29, SA34, Spitfire, Su-27, Su-33, UH-1H

The VKB is great as you don't think them in flight. The soft spring setting is so smooth and soft that you just fly and you don't think what your feets are doing as you just naturally use pedals without thinking.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

While I haven’t tested the MFG Crosswinds, I’d say that rudder pedals made to have the whole foot on need you to control the yaw by bending the knee.

Most of us do not have very good precision in our knee bending.

Almost every modern aircraft have pedals made so you have the heel on the floor and bend your ankle for control. This give you a much precise control over yaw.

In older aircrafts there was the ”whole foot on the plate” systems, but the foot plate had in all cases I have seen a much steeper angle so you push in the direktion of the foot blade, not forward/rearward as in the MFG(and others) case. These aircrafts had return/centering springs that together with air- and propeller slip stream made the force to move the rudder quite high and the rudder control was more a question of how much force you used than the position of the pedals.

No helicopters I know of have anything other than heel on the floor/bend-ankle systems. In general, you need much more precise control of yaw for flying a helo and as the ”correct” position of the pedals change much more there is no spring force involved in (most) helo pedals.

Knee bender pedals without strong pedal forces offer a not optimal control.

I would not get MFG with that construction. Quality looks really good though.

I did buy the Thrustmaster TFRP when I started gaming VR. They where recently released an I didnt find any review. Thrustmasters info said that there was an option to make them heel on floor /ankle bending which was really bullshit.

They cannot be used with the heels on the floor. They have very high internal friction and a very weak spring force. They are also very light with bad friction to the floor making the whole base turn instead of pedals moving.

These are really bad on almost every important aspect listed above. I do not even recommend them to the enemy.

I will build my own pedals as there really arent that much options. Almost all manufacturer seems not to know what is important.

Slaw device F16 looks quite ok.

Thrustmaster TPR may be ok also, but the disappointing TFRP make me wonder.

Neither is cheap and both these looks like the pedal sits a bit to low over the floor.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

The vkb pedals are somewhat different than most the others. You press down instead of forward or sliding them..I’ve tried the older Tm combat pedals from the 90s, saitek’s combat pedals, vkb Mikva, and the Tm tpr pendulum pedals I prefer the later the best

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

The vkb pedals are somewhat different than most the others. You press down instead of forward or sliding them..I’ve tried the older Tm combat pedals from the 90s, saitek’s combat pedals, vkb Mikva, and the Tm tpr pendulum pedals I prefer the later the best

That is the default. But if you extend the bolts, you get the pendulum behavior, it just is then so that the axis point is not above the pedal but below it.

But from point of view that you are very low in the cockpit and you want to keep heels on floor and push forward/backward with toes, that is then how you operate it when you adjust the bolts.

You can raise the VKB pedals as much you want, as there is nothing stopping that than the two bolts lengths.

But same time you need to get something below your heels as the pedals does get high. That you could actually change by modifying the pedals by drilling an additional attachment hole to closer to lower state (and avoid warranty and structural strength for up/down position).

VKB looks ok if you raise them, no brakes though. Not a problem for skid helos, if you only are into that.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

TPR: Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder, are these better than mfg? are more precise?

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

how do the brakes work on VKB?

Not by default, as it has only one axis. But in VKB software you can program the blackbox (VKB own computer) to input simultaneous virtual buttons on any range of the axis. And so on you can set the pedals have separate breaking when you squeeze the MCG breaking lever.

So you do it like in real Soviet aircraft, you fully push pedal down that you want to break and then you start to squeeze the breaking lever to apply the strength.

Works wonderfully. And then without pedals your lever applies both breaks.

I believe that you can do it otherwise as well. You can make the lever in stick to act in start of the range as a modifier that turns then the pedals axis to split axis, so you can have left/right breaking with pedals when you just slightly apply the breaking.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a set of TPR pedals. They are great. I have the springs set to the the lower position, but both still on the pedals. The pedals have more feedback than a Kiowa, but feel a lot like the Blackhawk. The accuracy is amazing and I love flying with them.

Add a dampner to the tpr pedals said to be a great mod for authentic feel. I’m still need to pickup the mounting hardware for mine haven’t been feeling well lately.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB