Bug reporting

rba100
Go to solution Solved by Wags,

Hi Community,

I’m not on the beta; is it worth me reporting bugs? Do the developers appreciate this?

I sent two crash reports and both times someone got back to me with comments - which is great - but I can’t tell if they actually care or go beyond support.

As a software engineer myself I know the value of getting stack traces and steps for reproduction, but I’m not in the games industry so have no idea if they will just get lost in the noise of angry gamers! :)

Thanks

Robin

• ED Team
  • Solution

Certainly, but there are good reports and not-so-helpful ones. For a truly helpful report, we MUST be able to recreate the issue, or have proper logging to find the root of the problem. So, a report should include:

1- System specifications and settings

2- Crash log files in case of a crash

3- Short, to-the-point track file

4- Step by step process to create the issue

5- A report should be based on verifiable facts, not conjecture

6- Place your report in the proper sub forum. We generally have sub forums for bug and problem reporting re most projects, please use them. Don't just throw a bug or problem on to the General DCS World 2.5 forum

7- Stay on topic and don't hijack report threads

Additionally, it's very important to first check (use the search function) to see if a report has already been submitted. Try to avoid duplicate reports. Additionally, "+1" and "me too" reports really don't help, but only add clutter.

A big benefit of the Open Beta process is that it allows us to test the software on a immensely broader set of hardware than we can do otherwise, and this is very valuable. However, Open Beta is certainly not everyone and it might be best for some to wait until the product is finalized.

Thanks!

Edited by Wags

• ED Team

You can find some helpful links in my signature below

including how to find your logs and attach them to a post

also a cleanup and repair which should also be the first thing to try

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2