IFF Diamond Top-Corner Marker missing

-Painter-

The IFF foe-indicator in the HUD (diamond) should have the top-corner marked.

Otherwise you mix up diamond ./. box very easy in a 45°-bank, since the diamond/box stays aligned to the true horizont - a diamond becomes visually a box when you bank.

Reallife-video where you can see that diamond-top-corner-marker:

Regards

REAPER 31 | Painter

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is no top corner marking in this video:

Maybe this feature has been introduced in some later models and was not there in the early models of the Hornet?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Today I had a WP as a target with also a bandit locked, it looked weird seeing two diamonds next to each other, one bigger than the other, in the corner of the HUD. It seems that older blocks of Hornet didn't have the marking on top of the diamond, but if the real lot 20 has it then I don't see why DCS's shouldn't.

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

Today I had a WP as a target with also a bandit locked, it looked weird seeing two diamonds next to each other, one bigger than the other, in the corner of the HUD. It seems that older blocks of Hornet didn't have the marking on top of the diamond, but if the real lot 20 has it then I don't see why DCS's shouldn't.

Yes, exactly, but the question is: Did the lot 20 had the marker already?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

...Otherwise you mix up diamond ./. box very easy in a 45°-bank, since the diamond/box stays aligned to the true horizont - a diamond becomes visually a box when you bank...

That is a statement that i saw a couple times on this forum but it is NOT true!

On the left HUD is a friendly aircraft - myself in a left turn - and on the right HUD is an enemy aircraft - myself again in a left turn! They are aligned with your heading tape so the box stays a box and the diamond stays a diamond!

attachment.php?attachmentid=188078&d=1529598424

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Hey Mr. Unknown,

obviously you do not get the point:

Your example is the best example to show how easy it is to mix it up (maybe even worse in VR) - you need to know and you need to remember in the current situation, if the diamond/box is aligned to the true horizon or if it is aligned to the acft. (obviously 2nd is the case). When you look at your 2nd picture on the first look at it that thing appears as a diamond, on the 2nd look it could well be that it is a box if it would be aligned to the true-horizon-line on the HUD - and that is what can potentionally confuse the pilot. Prob. that is the reason they introduced the diamond-upside-corner-marker in reallife.

Edit: the reason for the confusion is most likely because the other lines in the HUD are true-horizon-lines and at least me as a pilot tend to combine that the box must be locked to that lines.

Edited by -Painter-

Regards

REAPER 31 | Painter

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey Mr. Unknown,

Your example is the best example to show how easy it is to mix it up (maybe even worse in VR) - you need to know and you need to remember in the current situation, if the diamond/box is aligned to the true horizon or if it is aligned to the acft. (obviously 2nd is the case). When you look at your 2nd picture on the first look at it that thing appears as a diamond, on the 2nd look it could well be that it is a box if it would be aligned to the true-horizon-line on the HUD - and that is what can potentionally confuse the pilot. Prob. that is the reason they introduced the diamond-upside-corner-marker in reallife.

Edit: the reason for the confusion is most likely because the other lines in the HUD are true-horizon-lines and at least me as a pilot tend to combine that the box must be locked to that lines.

Hey Mr. -Painter-,

is the corner of the "diamond/box" looking to your heading tape it's a diamond and never a box no matter your bank angle. :P :smilewink:

But seriously now, i had the same thougt like you as they implemented the iff box/diamond. That was the reason i tried it and in my opinion it is more obvious in motion than on picture.

But my point is only that the claim box will look like diamond and vice versa if you bank your FA-18 is wrong. Yes you can mix them up in the heat of the moment, no question. If the real FA-18C Lot 20 had the extra marker on the diamond i'm all for it to implement it in DCS. :thumbup:

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings