Oculus Rift and USB 3.1 only Mainboards

MemphisBelle

Hey there,

I´ve got a short question concerning Oculus Rift Connection to USB 3.1 only Mainboards just like the Asrock Z370 Extreme 4. This is the one that I purchased (not yet delivered) and now I wonder if the Rift/Sensors will even work on USB 3.1 ports as there are no USB 3.0 or even USB 2.0 Ports anymore. I also googled around a Little and stumbled about some Posts where Users told that it would work with 3.1 only, thus I would like to know if some of you guys have particular experiences with this may be with the Z370 Extreme Board as well.

Thanks

regards

Memphis

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Hey there,

I´ve got a short question concerning Oculus Rift Connection to USB 3.1 only Mainboards just like the Asrock Z370 Extreme 4. This is the one that I purchased (not yet delivered) and now I wonder if the Rift/Sensors will even work on USB 3.1 ports as there are no USB 3.0 or even USB 2.0 Ports anymore. I also googled around a Little and stumbled about some Posts where Users told that it would work with 3.1 only, thus I would like to know if some of you guys have particular experiences with this may be with the Z370 Extreme Board as well.

Thanks

regards

Memphis

When I had a motherboard with built-in USB 3.0 ports, even with a self-powered USB hub, sometimes I had trouble with the HMD going dark, or my HOTAS being intermittent. So, I bought a dedicated USB 3.0 card with 5 ports on it made by Inateck, and those problems went away. I recently got an ASRock Z370 motherboard with 3.1 ports only and moved the Inateck card over to that. It still works perfectly with no dropouts. I know that doesn't quite address your question, but if the 3.1 ports on the mobo don't work, this is a good fallback option for you. The Rift pulls a lot of juice on the USB interface, so its usually best to have it on an independently powered USB port/hub/card anyway.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

So, I bought a dedicated USB 3.0 card with 5 ports on it made by Inateck, and those problems went away.

Thanks for your reply, luckily this Card sits in my PC right now as well. But I never have used it so far, so I´ll give it a try. That sounds all pretty promissing, I really hope that it will all work well. The Impression that I had today when I was VR in the Hornet was simply a blast. I´m so exited what it will look like when I have proper VR ready Hardware...currently its not :)

Edited by MemphisBelle

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

The Innatek powered USB 3.0 card has been working great for me also, got it from the start when I got the Rift. Have two sensors and Rift plugged into it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Have two sensors and Rift plugged into it.

How have you placed the two sensors to provide 360 degree capturing? Next to each other ( facing both Sensors the Gaming Area) or in front of each other (both sensors facing against each other accross the Gaming Area)?

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

How have you placed the two sensors to provide 360 degree capturing? Next to each other ( facing both Sensors the Gaming Area) or in front of each other (both sensors facing against each other accross the Gaming Area)?

My two sensors are on my desk app 5 ft apart angled slightly in facing me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|