Belsimtek AH-1G Cobra questions. - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
Stratos

Default Belsimtek AH-1G Cobra questions.

If I understood correctly, the next Belsimtek project after the Sabre is the G model of the Bell Cobra helicopter right? I'm not a expert in the Cobra so I have some doubts regarding the capabilities, armament (as our G Cobras had 20mm cannon, but can't find what the US ones had) and specially how it works as a combat chopper, so hope this post will help to clarify some of the features this chopper had back in the day. My main doubt is how the pilot and copilot interact between them, what's the role of the Copilot and If he had direct control over the weapons and the chin turret. For last being the first real combat chopper with two seats, my doubt is, how the AI copilot will interact with the human pilot. What we know and what we can guess?
Old 06-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
Flagrum
Veteran

I would expect it working similar to what we have and what we can do with the Huey atm. If you sit in the back, you fly the helo and can fire the rockets and the fixed, pylon mounted 20 mm cannon. If you sit in the front seat, you can probably fire those, too, and additionally use the turret sighting to fire the turret gun - while the AI pilot flies "straight and level" or "orbits" (or does some silly stunts :o).

Flagrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
Stratos

Sounds good. Any place I can learn about weaponry used by this mark?
Old 06-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
Flagrum
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
Sounds good. Any place I can learn about weaponry used by this mark?
There were some discussions of what "our" cobra will be able to carry (and in comparisation to what the Huey can). I think, it was somewhere in these threads:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=118514
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=117580

My understanding so far is, it can carry essentially the same loadout as the Huey with the exceptions of
- no (dual) flex mount miniguns, but instead a minigun in the chin turret
- a (single) pylon mounted, fixed 20 mm cannon

The chin turret could be equipped with one or two miniguns OR one minigun and one 40mm grenade launcher OR two grenade launchers. Two miniguns were unreliable and had feeding problems, though.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
Sceptre

I believe the engine is the same as the huey also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagrum View Post
My understanding so far is, it can carry essentially the same loadout as the Huey with the exceptions of
- no (dual) flex mount miniguns, but instead a minigun in the chin turret
- a (single) pylon mounted, fixed 20 mm cannon

The chin turret could be equipped with one or two miniguns OR one minigun and one 40mm grenade launcher OR two grenade launchers. Two miniguns were unreliable and had feeding problems, though.
That's a shame, I was hoping to tear up stuff with a chin mounted cannon, it would be a nice change from the Ka-50's limited movement on the gun.

I don't understand why they don't do an AH-1F. It's got the same avionics as the G pretty much, but it can fire TOWs and has 20mm chin gun.
I'll still buy the G model and I am glad they are making a Cobra, but an F would be a lot more fun IMO.

Last edited by Sceptre; 06-28-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Sceptre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
Stratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagrum View Post
What exactly is a mingun concerning the Cobra? A MG? Like the Yak 12.7mm of the Hind?
Old 06-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
WinterH

Quote:
What exactly is a mingun concerning the Cobra? A MG? Like the Yak 12.7mm of the Hind?
More or less, (minigun = gatling gun) but if I'm not mistaken, Cobra's miniguns are 7.62 mm, rifle caliber, unlike 12.7 of YakB gun on Mi-24.

Edit : Like mentioned above in this thread, 20mm gatlings can be mounted on stub wings, I was referring to chin turret mounted ones in above sentence.
WinterH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
Flagrum
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptre View Post
I believe the engine is the same as the huey also.

That's a shame, I was hoping to tear up stuff with a chin mounted cannon, it would be a nice change from the Ka-50's limited movement on the gun.

I don't understand why they don't do an AH-1F. It's got the same avionics as the G pretty much, but it can fire TOWs and has 20mm chin gun.
I'll still buy the G model and I am glad they are making a Cobra, but an F would be a lot more fun IMO.
Considering how much fun the Huey is to fly, the Cobra will probably be even more fun - even if the armarment options are not that much better than of the Huey.

But I am totaly with you here - a decent movable cannon would be my priority but I wouldn't reject some ATGM either ... :o)

Quote:
Dillon M134- the same thing that we use on the Huey.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:42 PM   #9
Dudikoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptre View Post
How you figure that? The G is the initial model and it has pretty much the same avionics as the Huey, but different cockpit of course. The F is the ultimate Army model with various WCS and sighting systems which would have to be modeled, not to mention the TOW missiles.
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are absolutely useless. Just passing time till DCS: F-14..

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
Stratos

Have been reading about variants, I agree with others that a variant with a 20mm cannon and TOW capable would have been (in my opinion) more capable and adjustable into the current game we have, where infantry is poorly portrayed and APC and armour reign supreme. Anyway, hope in the future we can see such capable variant.

Thanks.