What is your primary DCS flight controller?

Wags

What is your primary DCS flight controller?  

2863 members have voted

1. 1. What is your primary DCS flight controller?

• Thrustmaster Warthog
    • Thrustmaster Cougar
    • Thrustmaster T. Flight
    • Thrustmaster T.16000M
    • VKB MCG Grip
    • VKB KG12 Grip
    • Virpil T-50 Grip
    • CH Products Fighterstick
    • Saitek X52
    • Saitek X55 or X56

• MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2
  • a converted "Thrustmaster Cougar" with its own USB controller card and self-built Collective
  • Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals "Cessna"

Simpit Software by SDA "SIMPIT DEVELOPER ASSOCIATION"

• DCS ExportScript
  • D.A.C. DCS to Arcaze Communicator
  • Ikarus a new Virtual Cockpit Software

Deutscher Forums Thread

English Forums Thread

Hard/Software: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 32 GiB RAM, extra SSD for Windows 10 and DCS World, AMD Vega Frontier Edition with 16 GiB VRAM

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 year old Saitek Cyborg Evo - due for upgrade. Personally I prefer a stick mounted throttle. I've tried a Thrustmaster T flight but found my arm was aching holding the throttle. I need to look at my ergonomics and setup but I'm limited for space.

It's funny but I've spent so much on modules but I've really overlooked one of the most important bits of interacting with them.

Thank you Wags for tackling this barrier to entry into this awesome flight sim title.

I have a VKB base with the warthog stick and throttle (Most likely I'm in the minority here).

Would it also be possible to correct the bug that requires me to rename every controller profile in the inputs file folder to match the new controller file name when I re-load windows? I know this only happens once or twice a year but having to spend 2-3 hours renaming the files so that I can use the control profiles that I created (which as I'm sure you know takes hours) would be awesome.

One last thing to consider: I'm not sure the weight for priority should be based just on percentages, as again this is a barrier to entry, and new flight simmers, I would image are the most likely to be deterred by having to create custom profiles. So focusing on the entry level controllers especially for lock on and flaming cliff would seem to make the most sense for a good return on investment.

Thanks again for your consideration.

Regards,

Brad

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

I use a combo: X-52 as stick and throttle and simple Genius Speed Wheel 3's pedals as rudder pedals (after disassembly, service with oil/graphite mixture and reassembly). It allows for cheap aircraft pedals substitute, although these are car-type ones. X-52's own rudder control was dead after a month or so, and I don't miss it.

I hope one day there will be configurable mouse joystick input included with DCS, along with speed/acceleration setups for keyboard button inputs for appropriate functions like throttle, which is far too fast to be precisely controlled by keyboard in some modules (namely, Ka-50 and P-51).

Free to play's key feature is availability, and ATM controls are somewhat lacking (although keyboard controls for pitch and roll are probably the best implemented in genre, especially if used with control positions indication).

Edited by Черный Дракул

They are not vulching... they are STRAFING!!! :smartass::thumbup:

This poll is a surprise - very expensive joystick has the upper hand. Would think that my own T16000m combo with throttle will have upper hand.

This poll has a lot of bias in it because enthusiastic simpilots are more likely to respond to the poll (since they are on the forums a lot more) and they also tend to have more expensive toys to go with the hobby. This is assuming that the more fanatic you are on your simpilot hobby, the more money you spend on it and the more you are on the forums and more willing to enter the poll.

So it then follows that the more expensive sticks like the Warthog will be overrepresented in this sample.

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

Mine is not listed, and a part of my whole setup is primary, which is:

The legendary Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 (in actice service for 15 years now, still have 2 in spare)

The great Thrustmaster Warthog throttle

The amazing MFG Crosswind rudder pedals

Secondary are:

Two Saitek Throttle Quadrants

Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro (stick removed, just for the slider)

Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 (mainly 'cos of the slider)

Sony Dualshock 3 SIXAXIS (for analogue sticks as hats and some buttons)

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

This poll has a lot of bias in it because enthusiastic simpilots are more likely to respond to the poll (since they are on the forums a lot more) and they also tend to have more expensive toys to go with the hobby. This is assuming that the more fanatic you are on your simpilot hobby, the more money you spend on it and the more you are on the forums and more willing to enter the poll.

So it then follows that the more expensive sticks like the Warthog will be overrepresented in this sample.

Agreed. It looks like the Warthog might still be under 50% though, once the controls not on the list are allocated their share of the percentage. Reading through the posts it looks like a good showing for the MSFF2; shame it was not on the original list, along with other force feedback sticks.

I hope Wags posts the full results once those not on the list have been added and the percentages distributed.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

I frequently switch my Warthog stick out for an MSFFB2 for helicopter and prop plane flight.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

X45 (+ would be thrustmaster pedal, if it wouldn't die after a year)

Wow 54% of you guys have a $400 Warthog HOTAS! I am soooo in the wrong game. :(

NOPE, I can tell you for sure that Warthog is only a hype. Yeah, it good but not that better than any other, if any. I used it enough, no thx. Rather an X56.

[sIGPIC]http://www.forum.lockon.ru/signaturepics/sigpic5279_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I could shot down a Kitchen :smartass:

Hello there, perfect poll.

Can someone who knows more rudder pedals make such poll for the rudder pedals? I currently have TFRP as lot of people here but I am not satisfied with them at all.

Thank You!

Edited by Wexler

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

Wow 54% of you guys have a $400 Warthog HOTAS! I am soooo in the wrong game. :(

Well, by just looking at all the signatures, almost everyone has a $850 graphics card with 11GB of VRAM that I can't keep up with (just a crappy 970 rdlaugh.png). But I could get my WH off eBay in a good condition for just half the price.

By the way I'm glad to see so many FFB2 and G940 (and a rare Wingman Force) drivers here. Force Feedback still needs to be a thing!

I'd love to get a FFB base for the WH or somthing from VKB or Virpil. Or just a better one from logi. Also, we need FFB pedals eventually, especially for those choppers. And a throttle which utilizes FFB technology to have dynamic detents just where they have to be, dependant on each module... it's just a shame that this great technology is dormant almost for two decades now. It makes flying so much better as there's hardly any other decent possibility to give feedback that you'd normally would have in a real plane.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg