DCS: de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito FB Mk VI Discussion

msalama

Oh, I want this. Flies beautifully. Had problems with that left  engine overheating in the engine start tutorial, but now it's not doing it. Not sure what I'm doing differently. Letting it sit longer so the temps come up, maybe. I was on the fence but I decided to try it out. I'm getting it.

• Like 1

Operation Jericho, is already in the "Missions" file/

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

I found this cracking good little video today please excuse if it has been posted/uploaded up already.

• Like 1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

Interesting vid, THX for link Percy.

EDIT: err... Basco1 (sorry, your avatar photo distracted me)

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit

On 10/23/2021 at 5:42 PM, tapi said:

Interesting vid, THX for link Percy.

EDIT: err... Basco1 (sorry, your avatar photo distracted me)

Lol......thanks very much mate 👍.......it's a very small personal tribute to the great man himself.

• Like 1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

Not sure what I'm doing differently but I've lost the knack of taking off. For the first couple of weeks it was a dream, I couldn't understand what people were saying about it being hard to take off. But something I'm doing differently -  and rather annoyingly I don't know what it is - sends me into a crab and often a ground loop as I attempt to recover. Also, I'm getting that engine boiling thing again. It's frustrating because I have no idea what I'm doing differently, I was confident I had this one. The care with which I have to avoid the engines boiling makes it very frustrating in the first place. It takes me forever to taxi to the runway, gingerly keeping the RPMs below1200 except for the occasional push to get the damn thing moving ---- now only for an engine to boil anyway and then the plane freaks out on take off. I think I'm going insane! 😄 I can take off in all the other warbirds, almost in my sleep these days, and I was like that with the Mozzie --- until this week. Arrrgh.

EDIT - Hmmm. I watched a few videos and may have picked up some behaviours that don't work for the way I take off. That's all I can think. I'm gonna switch planes for now, I'm not going to have any hair left from tearing at it if this goes on...

Edited by Bashibazouk

2 hours ago, rkk01 said:

Take off behaviour changed after the last update…

now requires a longer run and more care

That did the trick.  I was using about 17 deg flaps and using differential throttle to take off as instructed by a well respected player/creator. I'm sure it worked when they did the instruction but I ignored it, used a tiny bit of flaps, a whisker down starboard aileron - based on guesswork, really -  and didn't worry about the throttles. I only have a single axis anyway, so it was quite a faff to adjust them separately with keybinds to select port, starboard or both engines. So, I went back to the Jericho default mission and had no real trouble taking off at all. Maybe it was a little more work than it used to be, maybe it took a little longer but it was nothing like my poor attempts before the last post. Thank you again for the info, that's all it took for me to relook at what I was doing, to stop trying to do it the way it worked in the past and...voila! My lovely Mozzie is once again the terror of the virtual Third Reich occupation troops in France!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2021 at 7:47 AM, Devil 505 said:

Anyone loving the Mossie needs to go watch this.  GREAT movie for its time.  It will get you fired up to fly it in DCS.  Wish we had a map to go along with this.

since I could first put a midi file on my Nokia for a ring tone, 633 Squadron has been my ring tone, still is on my iPhone today. 

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Did ED change something that affects elevator authority in the last patch?

The mosquito feels different - much less authority in the elevator, it just can't command its nose around like it did before, at least this is how it feels to me.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

2 hours ago, Glide said:

Mine is collecting dust in the hangar with the Spitfire.  Too bad about the takeoff performance.   Nice try.

What do you mean? 

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

On 10/30/2021 at 6:56 AM, Bashibazouk said:

Not sure what I'm doing differently but I've lost the knack of taking off. For the first couple of weeks it was a dream, I couldn't understand what people were saying about it being hard to take off. But something I'm doing differently -  and rather annoyingly I don't know what it is - sends me into a crab and often a ground loop as I attempt to recover. Also, I'm getting that engine boiling thing again. It's frustrating because I have no idea what I'm doing differently, I was confident I had this one. The care with which I have to avoid the engines boiling makes it very frustrating in the first place. It takes me forever to taxi to the runway, gingerly keeping the RPMs below1200 except for the occasional push to get the damn thing moving ---- now only for an engine to boil anyway and then the plane freaks out on take off. I think I'm going insane! 😄 I can take off in all the other warbirds, almost in my sleep these days, and I was like that with the Mozzie --- until this week. Arrrgh.

EDIT - Hmmm. I watched a few videos and may have picked up some behaviours that don't work for the way I take off. That's all I can think. I'm gonna switch planes for now, I'm not going to have any hair left from tearing at it if this goes on...

Also, Take-Off assistance was at 100% by default and is now 0% default. Don't feel bad, I thought I was the God of Mosquito flying and was brought back down with a bump! There's a good method listed in this forum though and using that I still think it's easier to handle than a Spit. 🙂

Credit to Basco1

Method

Nose down 2.0, right rudder 0.5 tick, aileron right 1 tick, 15 deg flap. 3000 RPM

Advance throttles to 4 lb against the brakes.......hold on the brakes until RPM is settled (3-4 seconds), let go brakes, advance to 18 lb. boost.

This will give a straight run without use of rudder or brakes until shortly after tail lift, when it will drift left. Compensate. Lift off at 120 mph. 

Wheels up, trim out nose up tendency. Flaps up, trim out nose down tendency. Stay level. build speed to 200 mph.

Edited by Morat

Only one mission is available at the moment.

I think it is called Train station strafe or something like that. 

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone can drop underbelly wings after 2.7.8 released today?

When I sapwned in single player mission (I build for myself for training a bout a month ago) without bombs I loaded 4 bombs by (Alt+') window.

In 2.7.7 I couldn't drop underwing bombs, that is know bug. But now it's impossible to drop even underbelly bombs!

underbelly wings?

jokes aside, I just saw someone dropping bombs from the bomb bay 10 minutes ago.

4 minutes ago, Rostic said:

Is anyone can drop underbelly wings after 2.7.8 released today?

When I sapwned in single player mission (I build for myself for training a bout a month ago) without bombs I loaded 4 bombs by (Alt+') window.

In 2.7.7 I couldn't drop underwing bombs, that is know bug. But now it's impossible to drop even underbelly bombs!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well that's fixed now. In th previous release, wingbombs could only be dropped if they were fitted in the mission editor. Not after re-arming.

The current Mosquito (Jan-2022) can drop all bombs, also after re-arming, and can fire rockets. Just the bomb's rear fuses don't work. They set of on inpact so you can forget about low-level bombing.

However; very nice and fun plane, and I'm taking it for a spin more and more. If only I could hit anything with the bombs !  Also I dread the navigator-skills needed, But that is for a later time.

A bit dissapointed about the "fastest plane in the world" though. In cruise conditions it will go about 280 mph. That's slower than the Mustang !  And I just can't seem the kill anything that shoots back !  I'm dead before I get the pipper on the target. Need guidance 🙂

Edited by MarcT-NL

Would be nice to know what you are trying to kill that shoots back as there are different approaches for different units. 

Tanks? The higher your angle the better. 

LAV? The higher the angle the better, or sometimes from behind. 

Bunkers? Come from the deadzone.

Planes? The farther the easier as the gunners are dumb as they do not lead and can only hit close targets. 

Edited by razo+r