Last Mission difficulties (spoiler alert)

Fantastic campaign. It's really stretched my knowledge of the sim to things I've never tried before and has been fun in the process.

I'm looking forward to the next campaign from Baltic

With that said, the last mission is, difficult to say the least. Going with nvg through the valleys is possible up until the point where I see the special forces shoot the flares but after that, I just get white out from the clouds. To make matters worse, the pipper for the rockets is bleached out on and adjusting the goggles doesn't help much.

Any suggestions?

Hi cfarsr, I am happy you enjoyed it.

As for the last mission:

Of course the difficult conditions are on purpose, to attain a surprise. And navigating in a thunderstorm is not easy, especially in 1.5 (falling rain was less distracting in NVG under 1.2 when the mission was built). Still, when testing it I managed to finish it 3 out of 4 times, the 4th being when I got shot down, and not necessarily crash :)

As for the advice: reduce the hud intensity to a minimum, so that it does not get in the way of NVG. Put NVG on and off, sometimes you will get better visibility without it. Keep your eye on the radar altimeter and increase zoom on your TAD to maximum, you can get the cues about altitude from the map. If you are really in trouble, try to fly a bit higher, but make sure to dive down again when you are being tracked by SAMs. Set your rockets to ripple-pairs-4 to make sure you will put some deadly volley when approaching the target and shoot your gun at the same time. You will most probably not know what you hit, but just in case jink your plane like crazy when extending after first attack and coming in for the second one.

Hope that helps!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Difficult (but doable), thrilling, full of adrenaline, perfect ending.

I ended up not using the NVG. There is just enough ambient lighting to make out terrain landmarks that can guide you. Zooming your view into the HUD helps enormously. Another aid is the radar altimeter tape, which you can enable in the display modes menu in IFFCC. Also, adjust the low altitude warning threshold to something around 100ft AGL. But, the single most important thing you should do, is to memorize the route from WP4 onwards as shown in the mission planner. Take special note of the landmarks (river beds, ridges, settlements etc) you will encounter at each waypoint and along the whole route. Do your homework, prepare your instruments, and you should be able to do it.

The annoying thing is that the clouds wash out the NVGs. It is almost like each puff of cloud was it's own light source. That seems more like an issue with the game and not mission design. I managed to make it by flying though the canyon with my NVGs off.

BUt..... I liked the whole campaign except for this mission. Even Special Forces pilots adhear to weather minimums.....but....this is a game and that last mission was a nail bitter.

The annoying thing is that the clouds wash out the NVGs. It is almost like each puff of cloud was it's own light source. That seems more like an issue with the game and not mission design. I managed to make it by flying though the canyon with my NVGs off.

BUt..... I liked the whole campaign except for this mission. Even Special Forces pilots adhear to weather minimums.....but....this is a game and that last mission was a nail bitter.

Well, it was built inder 1.2 and NVG and weather went together much better :music_whistling:

I agree it is much more challenging now, but with good weather it wouldn't make any sense. I am glad you liked the campaign!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

• 2 years later...

I'm at the final mission right now and flying with NVG in VR is quite easy in DCS 2.5 even in that weather conditions. Just use night mode for HUD and turn down its brightness to the lowest possible value before disabling it.

That said, the mission is still very difficult. I tried it 4 times and was shot down by the air defenses around the villa all the time after I shot and killed the target. Jinking does not help so much when 3 or more air defenses shoot at me almost simultaneously.

On to another attempt then ....

Just use night mode for HUD and turn down its brightness to the lowest possible value before disabling it.

HUD Night Mode is actually not meant for NVG operations. With goggles on, the HUD should remain in the normal Day Mode. But you're right, reducing HUD intensity can certainly help with NVGs.