Fight for Honor - A Folds of Honor Charity Event - Page 11 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-20-2020, 06:59 PM   #101
G B

Mic. Drop. ^
G B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:38 PM   #102
darkman222

When will the first fight start? At what Zulu time would that be? So people in Europe can decide if they are able to join? Any idea about how long a tournament day can become starting from the first fight?
darkman222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:39 PM   #103
M0ltar

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkman222 View Post
When will the first fight start? At what Zulu time would that be? So people in Europe can decide if they are able to join? Any idea about how long a tournament day can become starting from the first fight?

1400z
M0ltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:15 AM   #104
maxsin72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
"It isn't that i was that much a better pilot, it is that i cheated better".

I'm sorry my friend, you are lacking so much pilot culture context that many of your conclusions are derived from misconstruing information.

Everything he discribed in this video was tantamount to pulling the paddle switch in the hornet. For which his cocky young marine adversary did not do, and the 18 lost for "not cheating better" . The nuance is that it had very little to do with the raw performance and/or limitations of the aircraft involved, and everything to do with that he simply out smarted the young 18 driver. He broke natops limits resulting the 18 driver to mis judge and fly his aircraft incorrectly. His entire point was that he could trick the cocky pilot into flying poorly. To conclude that over G-ing an aircraft, pulling circuit breakers, manually sweeping the wings and dumping to bingo fuel is the norm is ridiculous. CAPT Snodgrass made a HUGE gamble that he was hoping the 18 drivers ego would deliver on, and it did. Had he done that against someone who knew better, he would have got his ass handed to him, which he also knew. It was a calculated decision with a spacific goal, and that goal was not to prove the performance of the 14 vrs the 18, it was basically "despite the performance of the hardware, ya don't know everything, kid".

Since this thread is chock full of theory crafting, an alternate and much more "realistic" scenario could easly be: Had the 18 driver been patient and flew the aircraft correctly, he would have flowen the hornets superior alpha turning inside to deny his shots (abiding by all natops limits mind you) all while letting the 14 driver beat up his own aircraft untill it performed like a tin can only exacerbating the 18s nose authority advantage, or simply wait for him to try all his AB vertical maneuvers burning down his thimble size amount of gas he dumped down to (probably one chance at most given the numbers he sighted). Hell, had the smart ass marine been able to curb his attitude, he could have easly scored a deck kill without ever having to pull the trigger when the 14 simulated flamed out from lack of gas . Then the 14 driver gets to go home and look all his maintainers in the eyes explaining why he did what he did.

You are having a hard time deducing success from what can be attributed to the performance of the aircraft, what is between the pilots ears, and when someone is intentionally risking breaking "things" to teach a much needed lesson to better his aviation legacy.
He proved his point by "cheating better"and that ego clouds your judgment. Not that the 14 was better because of some gaming easter egg that few know, or that the 18 is worse, and certainly not that risking breaking the jet was a legitimate or expected practice. To come to the last conclusion is plainly nieve.

Captain Snodgrass is a renowned pilot, i think you are doing him a disservice by misrepresenting his experience. Your "argument from authority " is used incorrectly.

You sound much like the 18 driver Sondgrass taught the lesson to.
I have no delusions that anyone will be able to convince you what has already been explained, i would simply encourage you to research the "dunning kruger effect".

Good luck.

I think you didn't understand: the guy was not a kid, was a top gun instructor. He was bragging so he can beat a horn tomcat all day long. But he didn't, end of lesson. During war natops, if necessary, can remain on a chart.
maxsin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:32 AM   #105
G B

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsin72 View Post
I think you didn't understand: the guy was not a kid, was a top gun instructor. He was bragging so he can beat a horn tomcat all day long. But he didn't, end of lesson. During war natops, if necessary, can remain on a chart.
Judging by this response, it’s evident you really don’t know how any of this works in the real world.
G B is offline   Reply With Quote