Mission 5 the enemy within

I think it's mission 5 where you have to fly from Echo 1 to echo 2,3 then you have to go and save echo 2 and destroy the mortars that are north. I've played this mission so many times and even used TacView to "cheat" and every time I cannot visually see those mortars or find them on TGP. It's so frustrating because it takes about 20 minutes of just boring flying to get to this point where if you don't destroy them fast enough then it's RTB and game over.

Any hints? Is this a bug?

Hey!

IIRC correctly, the mortars are not crucial for the mission success, what you need to focus on is destroying the 3 (or 2) white buildings with enemy troops and prevent enemy convoy (BMP and trucks) from reaching friendly positions.

More detailed hints below:

When play testing the mission here is what I usually did:

1. When approaching the Echo 2 position from the north I first took out two ZU-23s on Ural with my mavericks

2. Over Echo I would send my wingman (or rather wingmam) and tell to attack artillery, she should take out all the mortars without any problems. They are located at the southern edge of the first village north of the mosque - and once you get there should be quite visible when shooting.

3. In the meantime take out the buildings with rockets and the incoming convoy with the gun.

This should be enough to have a success.

Hope it goes well! If you have any other questions, ask!

Cheers,

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

• 1 year later...

Not sure if something has changed in all this time but I am finding the mission unfairly difficult as it is now. From the moment you are notified about the enemy presence until the mission is failed you have just a few minutes. There are no clear instructions about where are the AAA targets. After you fly the mission a few times, you know, but knowing it feels like cheating.

Last time I tried it was almost a perfect attempt. I took care of one AAA and the wingman of another. Next I dropped a bomb in one of the white buildings in the first pass while I ordered 2 to take care of the mortars. I gained a little bit of distance to go for a 2nd pass for the other building and 2 took care of some of the mortars. Like a minute later: mission failed!

My bombs didn't eliminate all of the targets but they were effective. I mean, are we supposed to kill all the bad guys in the first pass? You are also notified of targets in a 3rd area (the incoming column).I don't see how you can find the time to deal with that on top of everything else I mentioned. Maybe the AI behaviour changed and now time is more limited than intended?

Other than this... I'm enjoying the campaign so far!

DCS Rosetta, my automatic DCS mission and campaign translator: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=233877

• 1 month later...

I am also having difficulties with this mission. I'm playing at VR and it is quite difficult to spot the enemies. Mission takes place very early in the morning and the whole battle area is still covered in shadows from the surrounding mountains. I can't see the white buildings. Found the mortars and eliminated them though. The approaching convoy is also pretty well hidden. Only by enabling labels (and thereby cheating) I can find them. Still no luck in getting the mission success. Tried it 10 times already. Wingman does not attack anything either.

• 4 weeks later...

Can't spot the enemies either...very frustrating, also in TGP is quite difficult to distinguish a white building....tried 4 times...even with active pause. Is the enemy at same village than the friendlies?

I'm asking this, because on youtube the video of this campaign, seems that there are 2 villages and is very easy to spot the enemies.

I pass the mission, the error I made was to forget to mark the target with the laser, thanks to "On the Range" videos, mission accomplished! Also, regarding the air defenses attack, the JTAC gives you a clue to make your attack run from 90/270...:)