Landing scores

Pinefang

I'd be curious to know how difficult it would be to make a similar 'landing grade' system for airfield landings.

Swapping back & forth between the A-10 - F/A-18 and F-16, I'm losing some of my skill sets; especially my Hornet landings.

A post flight eval of AOA, landing speed, vertical velocity and if possible 'breaking efficiency' would be be handy to review from time to time.

Just getting down & stopping in time is more of a subjective feeling of accomplishment (or terror) as opposed to know if I'm beating the shit out of airplane:cry:

Anybody got a clue on this?

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

Improvised rating system:

A: Land and stop intact.

B: Land and stop intact, but you hear a bang and suspension is low.

C: Land and keep going.

D: Land and keep going and eject.

E: Explode on impact.

F: Explode on impact with other plane or tower.

• Like 1

There clearly is code for grading landings as AI landings get graded and I think with the supercarrier module we are going to get landing grades. While Bankler’s is not the formal grading system it is great for getting your landings up to snuff (my highest is a 70 after a lot of practice) and until I started that I had no idea how bad my landings were!

The real grading is (according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_signal_officer?wprov=sfti1)

5 - OK underline (perfect pass under unfavorable circumstances)

4 - OK (pass with only minor deviations)

3 - Fair (pass with one or more safe deviations or corrections)

2.5 - Bolter (safe pass without stopping)

2 - No grade (pass with safe but gross deviations or corrections or failure to respond to LSO calls)

1 - Technique waveoff (counts to your landing score)

0 - Cut pass (unsafe pass with unacceptable deviations)

Foul deck waveoff - no points but doesn’t count against you as it is the decks issue

Banklers program grades according to what is known as CTS in the training command. Although the numerical values are relitivel derived, they are according to tolerances expected from student pilots. What's more, it grades the pattern as well as the entry in to. It is quite comprehensive, I gave him the grading scale.

He could extract an LSO grade from what is already in place with his script. It just wasn't really needed. Ya may want to make a request. :)

Edited by Lex Talionis

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

Check out Alerax's LSO program. IT is pretty realistic and not hard to add to a mission. It gives carrier grades and uses the same notation, and you can even do the Marshall stack. It will also handle you as a flight (multiple flyers). Covers F-14B and F/A-18C, maybe more.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3674407#post3674407

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I came back to the boat from a stressful engagement against two Su-33s. Rough seas, wind 20kts, pitching deck. I ended up with three "bolters" before I trapped. Then I got an LSO rating:

LSO: Grade: C, 3PTSAW Wire# 2_EG_AW [bC]

Clearly, he gave me a "cut pass" (:() and I caught the 2-wire. But what does the rest of it mean? Thanks in advance for the translation! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 5/23/2020 at 5:18 AM, garf said:

On 2/25/2020 at 8:49 AM, Doc3908 said:

Yesterday I came back to the boat from a stressful engagement against two Su-33s. Rough seas, wind 20kts, pitching deck. I ended up with three "bolters" before I trapped. Then I got an LSO rating:

LSO: Grade: C, 3PTSAW Wire# 2_EG_AW [bC]

Clearly, he gave me a "cut pass" (:() and I caught the 2-wire. But what does the rest of it mean? Thanks in advance for the translation! 🙂

I'm just learning this, so please bear with me. I think the [bC] means that you didn't call the Ball. You got wire #2 and you EG (pulled throttles back to help set the hook for arrestment)), AW (after wires), 3PTS (you landed 3 points, I think that means with all three wheels hitting the deck simultaneously). I guess it gets easier to translate this stuff after a while. Oh, by the way, a grade of "C" means Cut. Unsafe, gross deviations inside waveoff window.

5 hours ago, savageRatter said:

I'm just learning this, so please bear with me. I think the [bC] means that you didn't call the Ball. You got wire #2 and you EG (pulled throttles back to help set the hook for arrestment)), AW (after wires), 3PTS (you landed 3 points, I think that means with all three wheels hitting the deck simultaneously). I guess it gets easier to translate this stuff after a while. Oh, by the way, a grade of "C" means Cut. Unsafe, gross deviations inside waveoff window.

I do my own 'paddling'... for now.

Here's my case2 with no landing area lights on the boat (pain in the butt) and case1 with 'wake turb.' disabled.

Edited by oldcrusty