Add normalmaps when module won't have it (natively) ?

Mav783

Hi,

I want to know, do it's possible to add a normalmap (or a roughmap) to a module (plane) or an object (like a missile) when this module or object originaly don't have it ?

I mean for the object to recognise a new "skin layer" and connect the model to the normalmap. Maybe it's managable with the "description.lua" file, but i d'ont know...

For exemple, i wanna add a roughmap and a normalmap to the Magic II Missile (and it only have one diffuse map).

Thank you for your answers ;)

++

Edited by Mav783

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mav783,

Rough/Metal/AO is possible. Adding new images with the texture file name ending like: _RoughMet with enable the RoughtMet workflow and override the old spec workflow.

For the Normal maps I have pretty much the same questions as you, but I have made plenty of test about adding it to models that do not have it originally and none of then have worked out...

My guess is that if the model itself does not support Normals, there is sadly no way to add them.

Please anybody confirm this if possible.

Could the Devs add this feature to the older models (like for example Su-25 or Mi-8 Cockpit), so we can add Normal/depth maps to any present model in a similar way we can add RoughMet ???

This would be just a great feature for moders and livery makers.

Even if models are not updated with actual normal map textures, could just be updated so they have a "connection" to had them a Normalmap like in the case of RoughMet maps?

I would like to do a livery for my beloved Mi-8 Cockpit and having the ability to add Normal/depth maps to it would be just heaven! :]

Thank you

Edited by Grajo

You can't add a normal map to a model that doesn't have one.

It needs to be added in 3ds max then re exported.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45