[CANNOT REPRODUCE/NO TRACK FILE] JDAM Misses

bonesvf103

I'm sure someone already threaded this but I searched and couldn't find anything.

When I use the JDAM in PP mode, I enter the coordinates to the T, get high enough and put the diamond right on the heading and release. Out of the 4 JDAMs I drop, I will get 1 or 2 good hits. The other ones fall just off the target, leaving them virtually unharmed.

Is there some uncertainty on the drop or am I doing something wrong? I enter the coordinates down to the decimal, add elevation. Assign the coordinates to the station that is ready. Sometimes I toss the bomb sometimes I don't, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

The only other thing I can think of is in my testing, I was accelerating time so I don't have to wait so long for results and since time compression messes up mission tracks, maybe it messes up the JDAM too?

I drop from 20,000 ft, sometimes higher, no lower than 17,000 ft. The TTMR now says in range, and first and foremost the JDAM has aligned to 7"30 or less on the timer and OK on the alignment status before I even drop. Do you have to fly straight and level to get a good alignment? I was orbiting when I did so maybe that's it?

Thanks.

v6,

boNes

Edited by bonesvf103

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

are you using PRECISE coordinates in HSI -> DATA?

are the coordinates actually precise?

Hm, dunno, I'll have to check on that.

Thanks.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Are you entering coordinates down to the fractions of seconds?

Are you entering the elevation?

Are your elevation units correct?

1. Yes, I enter them in deg min seconds, hit enter, then type in the decimal seconds, and hit enter again.

2. Yes.

3. Yes, briefing said it was in feet so that's what I chose.

Thanks.

v6,

boNes

Are you selecting the quantity?

If so please refer to JDAM/JSOW STEP function change in the sticky threads.

I select QTY and then it shows me stations. So I choose a station. I enter the coordinates and in the JDAM DISPLAY page it shows the coordinates and in the upper left it shows the station I chose and in the SMS that station says RDY, so I figured it was in properly. The bomb DOES hit on rare occasion but most of the time it is off by a few feet.

Thanks.

v6,

boNes

OK, tried again, this time I got 3 hits out of 4. The 3rd one was off by a few feet.

What I did different this time was that after hitting QTY, I made sure I selected STA2 then I entered my coordinates into PP1/2/3/4.

I dropped on from STA2 with PP1 and hit. Next I dropped again from STA2 with PP2 and hot a hit.

I switched to STA8 since I was out of bombs on STA2 and was going to hit the PP3 and noticed every PP was crossed out. So, I selected PP1 and started to enter coordinates. I started to enter elevation, and as soon as I entered it, the LONG and LAT values were filled in automatically, but they were for a previous target I had already hit. Does this seem right? I changed to coordinates to the one I wanted to hit and dropped the bomb, and it missed by a few feet.

Turning back, I did the same thing and when I entered the coordinates, the elevation automatically filled in for the previous target. So I changed it to the target I wanted and dropped. The bomb hit.

So I guess I'm a little confused.

Comments?

v6,

boNes

I switched to STA8 since I was out of bombs on STA2 and was going to hit the PP3 and noticed every PP was crossed out. So, I selected PP1 and started to enter coordinates. I started to enter elevation, and as soon as I entered it, the LONG and LAT values were filled in automatically, but they were for a previous target I had already hit. Does this seem right? I changed to coordinates to the one I wanted to hit and dropped the bomb, and it missed by a few feet.

First, PP programming is done per station (later it will be possible for left and right bombs of one station to have different PP targets). So changing from STA2 to STA8, the PP values shouldn't transfer, as far as I understand.

The second part, with the LAT/LONG or the ELEV filling automatically with values from another station, I noticed it yesterday and I think it's a bug. In my case, I programmed LAT/LONG for PP1-STA2, then LAT/LONG and ELEV for PP2-STA8. When I switched back to PP1-STA2 to input the ELEV, I noticed that its LAT/LONG data was overwritten with the LAT/LONG data of PP2-STA8's data. Seems like a bug to me.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

First, PP programming is done per station (later it will be possible for left and right bombs of one station to have different PP targets). So changing from STA2 to STA8, the PP values shouldn't transfer, as far as I understand.

The second part, with the LAT/LONG or the ELEV filling automatically with values from another station, I noticed it yesterday and I think it's a bug. In my case, I programmed LAT/LONG for PP1-STA2, then LAT/LONG and ELEV for PP2-STA8. When I switched back to PP1-STA2 to input the ELEV, I noticed that its LAT/LONG data was overwritten with the LAT/LONG data of PP2-STA8's data. Seems like a bug to me.

Yes it certainly sounds like a bug.

Thanks for your response!

v6,

boNes

• ED Team
Has anyone else noticed that after today`s OB patch GBU-38 dont explode? I`ve set it correctly - waiting for 7.30 mins and FUZE to INST. Tried some bombing, all GBU-38s doesnt explode...

Working for me

Screen_190904_172738.thumb.jpg.5a83f9aba0b513329812c4117d826de2.jpg

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 4 months later...

Playing around again and this time I added terminal guidance data. Didn’t change the hit or miss stats much but it made me wonder...how required is this? If I don’t enter terminal guidance data, it seems to guide and hit the target as often as when I do. Is TERM not functional yet?

v6,

boNes

Playing around again and this time I added terminal guidance data. Didn’t change the hit or miss stats much but it made me wonder...how required is this? If I don’t enter terminal guidance data, it seems to guide and hit the target as often as when I do. Is TERM not functional yet?

v6,

boNes

I think terminal settings aren't implemented yet. And in any event, it doesn't really make a difference for JDAMs in DCS, since it doesn't matter if you hit a target from the top or the side etc, it deals the same damage, AFAIK.

It'll matter more for the JSOW A, since you'll be able to direct the bomblet pattern.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I wonder if they need some kinetic energy like the Walleye. I launched a JSOW once while flying at 400 KIAS and it fell short, but when I launched between 500-600 KIAS, they hit.

v6,

boNes