AV-8B II+ vs AV-8B II N/A

Pilot909

Is the AV-8B night attack in active use with the USMC? Was it EVER in use with them?

All I see them using is the AV-8B II+ which is practically the same thing but with an APG-65 radar. Was developing the radar the thing that pushed razbam to the NA variant instead?

hmmmm:huh:

DCS Modules Owned:A-10C, FC3, Yak-52, F/A-18C, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-5E, M-2000C, L-39, Hawk T.1A, C-101EB/CC, MiG-15bis, MiG-21bis, BF-109K4, FW-190D9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, KA-50, F-86, DCS:CA, WWII assets, F-14A/A+/B

DCS Terrains Owned: All

PLEASE MAKE UH-60L and AH-64D!!! :pilotfly:

Is the AV-8B night attack in active use with the USMC? Was it EVER in use with them?

All I see them using is the AV-8B II+ which is practically the same thing but with an APG-65 radar. Was developing the radar the thing that pushed razbam to the NA variant instead?

According to wikipedia, AV-8B II+ are expected to remain in service until 2025. I doubt there is any remaining night attack harrier still in use, but they used them. The night attack upgrade came around 1991, just after gulf war, and they participated in Op. Southern Watch. The + variant came around 1993, and the addition of a radar was thought to be worth losing the ARBS. Night attack harriers were still in use during OIF and OEF, but the majority were already upgraded to the +

This is a night attack refuelling in Irak, with a laser mav and probably a litening on the opposite side.

AV-8B_Harrier_VMA-211_refueling_over_Iraq_2006.jpg

This book is a nice read about the harriers in Irak:81k5-Oct%2BjL.jpg

And yes, afaik they are developing the NA because of the lack of ground radar, maybe we will get the + once the radar code has been released by ED with the hornet

Aren't they still serving alongside the plus?

After some search, it looks that the night attack is still in use:

Harrier-696x464.jpg

This is supposed to be a VMA-311 night attack on the LHD-6 in June this year, testing the APKWS, with two rockets (now missiles?) showing in the front of that LAU68, normal hydras aren't that long.

That bird still has the old tri color paint scheme. Aren't all Harriers are painted in gunship gray (FS 36118) over blue gray FS 35237 now (since 2010+?

The Harrier II pilot working with Razbam wrote some ago on reddit that all NA planes are now just used for training and not longer on deployments.

That bird still has the old tri color paint scheme. Aren't all Harriers are painted in gunship gray (FS 36118) over blue gray FS 35237 now (since 2010+?

That actually means nothing. Due to rather stringent environmental laws, the jets would only get a total repaint when they go in to a rework facility and that is dictated by flight hours. Other than that they would need a waver and access to a paint hangar, which not every base has. The squadrons corrosion shops are only authorized to do paint touch up and markings on a regular basis. Depending on where the jet was before VMA-311 had it for testing the APKWS and how much it was actually flown, it is very possible that that jet has not gone to a Naval Air Rework Facility since the new scheme hit the fleet.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Google is your best friend...but yes as others have mentioned it is in service still

Likely. My understanding is that the radars for the plus came from Hornets that were being upgraded to Super-bugs rather than new built units. So only so many radars to go around for upgrading Harriers, while having enough left aside for spares.

you cant upgrade a legacy hornet into a superbug.:)

i think you mean that this would have occured when legacy hornets were getting thier AN/APG73 radars ( or new Hornets with such radar) and or when units transitioned from the Hornet to SUperHornet is when An/APG65's were becoming available for the harriers.

TBH Harriers gorund attack potentional would have been even better if they had the AN/APG73 Phase 2 . Those have High resolution SAR imaging. But i guess too much $$ as USMC preferred the "surplus" AN/APG 65 option.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

i think you mean that this would have occured when legacy hornets were getting thier AN/APG73 radars ( or new Hornets with such radar) and or when units transitioned from the Hornet to SUperHornet is when An/APG65's were becoming available for the harriers.

TBH Harriers gorund attack potentional would have been even better if they had the AN/APG73 Phase 2 . Those have High resolution SAR imaging. But i guess too much $$ as USMC preferred the "surplus" AN/APG 65 option.

That may be the case. I know they're old bug radars from an upgrade program, for some reason I thought they were super-bug upgrades.

In reality, the USMC was not really interested in a "plus" upgrade at all, since the cost was prohibitive, they jumped in the wagon since Spain and Italy were interested in a multipurpose aircraft for their respective navies, and the whole project was the only way to get such an aircraft, given the numbers and shared risk between the 3, the "plus" became a reality. UK was not interested since back then they already had the SHAR F.2

According to wikipedia, AV-8B II+ are expected to remain in service until 2025. I doubt there is any remaining night attack harrier still in use, but they used them. The night attack upgrade came around 1991, just after gulf war, and they participated in Op. Southern Watch. The + variant came around 1993, and the addition of a radar was thought to be worth losing the ARBS. Night attack harriers were still in use during OIF and OEF, but the majority were already upgraded to the +

And yes, afaik they are developing the NA because of the lack of ground radar, maybe we will get the + once the radar code has been released by ED with the hornet

Even more interesting they wrote in "AV-8Bs of OIF I-IV" and "AV-8Bs of OEF" that the NA being the more precise bombing platform, as the ARBS was better suited to locate and lock ground targets reliably in Iraq and Afghanistan.

So from what I've read they usually combined the AV-8B plus with at least one AV-8B N/A in a flight.

To me it seems, they saw a lot of action in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Even more interesting they wrote in "AV-8Bs of OIF I-IV" and "AV-8Bs of OEF" that the NA being the more precise bombing platform, as the ARBS was better suited to locate and lock ground targets reliably in Iraq and Afghanistan.

So from what I've read they usually combined the AV-8B plus with at least one AV-8B N/A in a flight.

To add some info on that (once again i can´t discuss my sources) NA´s are still pretty much active (while in lesser numbers...and those numbers are going down steadily) , and most pilots prefer the NA over the Plus since it´s lighter, not so much nose heavy, and allows you to get back on the deck with either more fuel or some ordnance still hanging under the wings (a HUGE no-no in the plus), and while the Plus does have it´s advantages, like a ground mapping radar and capacity to acquire moving targets either on the ground or sea, the main sensor currently in use in these aircraft is the Litening II FLIR/targeting pod, or ground lasing, making the use of the radar superfluous. While under USMC use the Plus can be considered a "nice to have" capacity, in Spain and Italy´s navies, it´s a critical feature, given the fact that above all the functions they perform in the same way as the USMC, they are also "fleet defenders", and their pilots are versed in air to air combat.

Sooo... you guys going to give us a KC-130? ^.^

That would be cool...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Indeed the ARBS is more accurate than radar when doing bombing runs. One of the reasons why the AV-8B Plus carry TPODs, to get back some of that capability.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

• 4 months later...
Indeed the ARBS is more accurate than radar when doing bombing runs. One of the reasons why the AV-8B Plus carry TPODs, to get back some of that capability.

And as well far I have understood from the interviews and documents etc, the DMT was still more accurate than a TPOD (TGP in F/A-18C Super Hornets) why the N/A variant was kept as 1/3 in the service instead all updated to the + model.

So only way to get as accurate bombing was to use the TPOD and laser guided bombs, that added expenses.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.