DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar and Warthog + MFDs

Home Fries

DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar and Warthog + MFDs  

19 members have voted

1. 1. DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar and Warthog + MFDs

• Keep DH/DT with Hdg Hold and BA/RA with Alt Hold (keep apples with apples)
    • Map BA/RA with Hdg Hold and DH/DTwith Alt Hold (like actual panel switches)

yes im aware of foxxy but since i had target already installed for my warthog hotas i was hoping it would work with the cougar. i had it plugged in but it might not have been installed yet when i started target.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

yes im aware of foxxy but since i had target already installed for my warthog hotas i was hoping it would work with the cougar. i had it plugged in but it might not have been installed yet when i started target.

Sorry, BlacleyCole, I didn't mean to add confusion. I wasn't aware you were already using the profile with the Warthog.

So this brings up a different issue altogether. Since TARGET creates a virtual controller, every Thrustmaster controller that you have assigned to TARGET disappears in favor of the TM Combined controller. This also means that plugging in a new controller won't add it to TARGET, and unplugging a controller will dump the TARGET profile. Also, TARGET will not recognize a Cougar TQS connected with a TUSBA.

Right now, my script is set up so that you select either the Warthog Stick or Cougar Stick, and you have another option to select either the Cougar TQS or Warthog Throttle. These are set prior to launching the profile and right now are mutually exclusive (i.e. you can only use one throttle or the other). I brought up the idea of putting both throttles into the profile a few years ago, but there was no enthusiasm for the idea. I may revisit this idea now that the F-16 is a thing.

Putting in support for both the Warthog Throttle and TQS shouldn't itself be difficult, but I will need to introduce some error traps for Warthog+VR users.

So BlacleyCole, what is your controller setup? Warthog+Cougar? VR? Are you using USB pedals, or do you use gameport pedals attached to the Cougar? I need to know because I might be able to throw you a bone in 2.43.

Edited by Home Fries

Already mapped to the APU switch when the logical gear state is "up."

Gosh, I feel like an idiot. I spent hours scouring the profile JPG searching for it.

Thank you!

While we're here, just a question, still for the Mirage: I noticed that the Antenna Scan Bars switch has some delay, and that if I quickly switch from 4 to 1 or from 1 to 4 it will miss the second input, keeping the bars at 2. Is this a known issue that you cannot work around in other ways? If yes, can I tweak some profile settings in order to make it more responsive?

While we're here, just a question, still for the Mirage: I noticed that the Antenna Scan Bars switch has some delay, and that if I quickly switch from 4 to 1 or from 1 to 4 it will miss the second input, keeping the bars at 2. Is this a known issue that you cannot work around in other ways? If yes, can I tweak some profile settings in order to make it more responsive?

Assuming you're referring to the autopilot mode switch on the warthog base, there's nothing I can do with that because it's already using DirectX switch commands (e.g. hold DX13 for 4 bars, hold DX14 for 1 bar, otherwise 2 bars). In other words, its as if there were no TARGET profile for that switch. If it were using key commands I would put a delay into the center position, but the switch logic as is means that it's a responsiveness issue with DCS and your PC. I would just be a bit more deliberate with your bar switching.

Edited by Home Fries

Assuming you're referring to the autopilot mode switch on the warthog base, there's nothing I can do with that because it's already using DirectX switch commands (e.g. hold DX13 for 4 bars, hold DX14 for 1 bar, otherwise 2 bars). In other words, its as if there were no TARGET profile for that switch. If it were using key commands I would put a delay into the center position, but the switch logic as is means that it's a responsiveness issue with DCS and your PC. I would just be a bit more deliberate with your bar switching.

I knew there had to be a reason :) I guess I'll follow your advice. Thanks again!

Quick update, everybody:

I just put the JF-17 into internal beta testing this afternoon. There are some known issues I want to still fix, and I'm expecting testing to bring up a few more bugs. However, I'd like to get 2.43 out sooner than later. As long as we don't have showstoppers, and depending on the next scheduled patch and what JF-17 improvements it brings, I'll try to get 2.43 out ahead of the DCS Stable Release on which I normally time my updates.

Hey there, another MFD JPG fix needed. High contrast M-2000C, right MFD, BRT switch: sts mode / n mode should be written in green italic lowercase (both tempo + S3), PSM cycle should be written in green lowercase (S3).

Also, normal JPG has that switch in an old version I think (it doesn't mention n / sts but it shows VENT switch)

Edited by Lorthirk

Hey there, another MFD JPG fix needed. High contrast M-2000C, right MFD, BRT switch: sts mode / n mode should be written in green italic lowercase (both tempo + S3), PSM cycle should be written in green lowercase (S3).

Also, normal JPG has that switch in an old version I think (it doesn't mention n / sts but it shows VENT switch)

Thanks. I added them to the bugtracker. They're low priority right now, but on the list of things to look at.

trying to run the f16 script I get this error message.. Using BRD rudder pedals

Mapped plugin module "C:\Program Files (x86)\Thrustmaster\TARGET\Plugins\sys.dll"

Script stopped!

Runtime Error: Symbol not found: TFRPHARudder in main ( line 682 in DCS_World.tmc )

[sIGPIC]If you are still under control you are not going fast enough[/sIGPIC]

Are you using the latest version of TARGET? You should be using v3.0.18.328 or later. An older version of TARGET won't recognize the TFRPHARudder device and will generate that error.

EDIT: it doesn't matter whether you have the pendular pedals (that device). I only call the device to disable it (making sure you get the extra axes), so it won't affect your use of the profile in any way. You just need the newer version to clear the error.

thank you for the quick reply.. I updated to the latest target but receive the same error.. the script stops.

Try this:

after compiling DCS_World.tmc, load it in the Script Editor (or Notepad++) and find the following line (probably line 682)

Configure(&TFRPHARudder,MODE_EXCLUDED);

This should be the only reference to the pendular rudders. Put two slashes in front of the line to comment it out, so it should read

//Configure(&TFRPHARudder,MODE_EXCLUDED);

See if this clears the error.

Quick update, everybody:

I just put the JF-17 into internal beta testing this afternoon. There are some known issues I want to still fix, and I'm expecting testing to bring up a few more bugs. However, I'd like to get 2.43 out sooner than later. As long as we don't have showstoppers, and depending on the next scheduled patch and what JF-17 improvements it brings, I'll try to get 2.43 out ahead of the DCS Stable Release on which I normally time my updates.

Just an update on the JF-17:

In adding the Cougar TQS option for Warthog users, I uncovered some bugs that, while not showstoppers, have no business being in a release. Since the OB patch has been pushed to Dec 18, my plan is to squash these bugs, then when the OB is released with additional JF-17 keymappings, I will add the UFC to the LMFD and many of the switches to the WH throttle base. Those switches should be simple (for the time being at least), so I'm hoping to have 2.43 out on Dec 19. Unless there are changes in keymapping for other modules, 2.43 should also be backward compatible with the DCS Stable release.

Edited by Home Fries

Following up with your report, both MFDs are technically correct (though I'll italicise the high def N/STS). Depending on whether you have RMFD: Context Sensitive Bottom Row Buttons enabled in CTS, and whether the logical gear state is up or down, and the state of the parking brake determines the functionality of the bottom row of the RMFD (and especially the BRT rocker). There just isn't enough room on the MFD inserts to put all the combinations.

What I did do is amplified the information in the HTML control guides and verified that the hyperlinked table is correct, so people can just click on the hyperlink to see the bottom row functionality.

Edited by Home Fries

Hi Home Fries,

F14 - (Default POV Hat Function in VR = 1) Whenever I try to swap seats from pilot --> RIO there is a good chance of the plane getting stuck in a steep roll that is almost impossible to fix even after swapping back. I thought this was a HB bug but I think it's actually what equates to a trim command being 'stuck' when I swap seats. I'm still not 100% sure this is CTS but it would make sense given the methodology. The easiest fix I see would be to require the shifted trim hat even with VR = 1. I realize that conflicts with the "vr mouse" but I think for the F14 it's worth it, personally I never use the VR mouse but I'm not the only CTS user :)

Update on this issue: for dual seat aircraft with VR set to Trim (1), a short delay was introduced between when the trim is commanded and when the seat is swapped. Doing a "double-tap" of the hat switch and releasing the hat switch within the same interval between taps should be enough time to release the trim command before commanding the seat swap. I tested this on the F-14 and now it performs only a slight roll in the direction of trim, followed by "Iceman" autoleveling the aircraft. I think this is just how the F-14 module does things.

This fix is currently in beta testing and barring any unwanted discoveries will be in the 2.43 release.

Edited by Home Fries

Update on this issue: for dual seat aircraft with VR set to Trim (1), a short delay was introduced between when the trim is commanded and when the seat is swapped. Doing a "double-tap" of the hat switch and releasing the hat switch within the same interval between taps should be enough time to release the trim command before commanding the seat swap. I tested this on the F-14 and now it performs only a slight roll in the direction of trim, followed by "Iceman" autoleveling the aircraft. I think this is just how the F-14 module does things.

This fix is currently in beta testing and barring any unwanted discoveries will be in the 2.43 release.

Great. Yes, before he couldn't keep it level. I know I made two posts on it, but as a reminder, the C-101 is a great testbed since you can see the trim and aren't dealing with an AI pilot.

Hi,

First, thank you for your wonderful CTS tool. Without that, I don't think I could fully appreciate DCS and my HOTAS

I have a problem but I'm not sure if this is linked to CTS or only to DCS

I use CTS 2.420. I have a Thrustmaster Cougar with MFG rudders and 2 MFD

I use standalone DCS (not Steam)

In M2000C controls, I load both the keyboard and Cougar profiles => All works fine

I exit DCS game and restart it

Then my "Trim Left" doesn't work and in Control page, the line is highlighted red

I exit DCS, delete Joystick and keyboard folders under C:\Users\Patrick\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\M-2000C and start DCS and reload profiles and it works fine ... until I exit again DCS

Best regards

Hi Home Fries,

First, thank you for your awesome work on CTS.

Regarding this F14 trim / swap seat issue and VR, how about add an option allowing seat swap or not? I mainly fly Tomcat with human RIO and sometimes get swap hotas config without changing seat. It could be disturbing when it happens but still in pilot seat.

If not, how could I manually inhibit the seatswap operation in Target file (both seatswap AND hotas config swap)?

Hi,

First, thank you for your wonderful CTS tool. Without that, I don't think I could fully appreciate DCS and my HOTAS

I have a problem but I'm not sure if this is linked to CTS or only to DCS

I use CTS 2.420. I have a Thrustmaster Cougar with MFG rudders and 2 MFD

I use standalone DCS (not Steam)

In M2000C controls, I load both the keyboard and Cougar profiles => All works fine

I exit DCS game and restart it

Then my "Trim Left" doesn't work and in Control page, the line is highlighted red

I exit DCS, delete Joystick and keyboard folders under C:\Users\Patrick\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\M-2000C and start DCS and reload profiles and it works fine ... until I exit again DCS

Best regards

I'm not saying this is what's going on, but this is the only thing that makes sense right now:

Make sure you load the CTS profile before you load DCS. If you ever load DCS without loading TARGET/CTS, don't enter the control options menu in DCS, and be sure to cancel out if you do. If it is red, it could be that the modifiers (JoyBtn30-JoyBtn32) need to be added again.

The other possible issues are addressed in Appendix E of the Setup Guide PDF. Please let me know if one of these issues is the culprit.

EDIT: Re-reading, the first issue in Appendix E could very well be the culprit. I'm still not sure exactly how to fix that.

Edited by Home Fries

Regarding this F14 trim / swap seat issue and VR, how about add an option allowing seat swap or not? I mainly fly Tomcat with human RIO and sometimes get swap hotas config without changing seat. It could be disturbing when it happens but still in pilot seat.

If not, how could I manually inhibit the seatswap operation in Target file (both seatswap AND hotas config swap)?

This is a possibility, and I have some thoughts on how to make it work. I'll add this to the bug tracker as a feature request.

However, it will require a global change and I most likely won't be able to get to it until April or May. In the meantime, there are a couple of workarounds you can try:

1. Be careful not to quickly tap the roll trim, being sure to use longer intervals between quick adjustments.
  2. Reduce the "Double Tap" value in CTS (under Global in the category Timing Values-TEMPO) so that your trim adjustments won't change the profile to RIO. Then you'll also want to be careful when going between switch extremes with the Boat Switch or Pinky Switch, as Double Tap also delays actuation of the center position for that very reason.

Hope this helps,

Great. Yes, before he couldn't keep it level. I know I made two posts on it, but as a reminder, the C-101 is a great testbed since you can see the trim and aren't dealing with an AI pilot.

Excellent point. I'll give it another round of testing.

Home Fries, thank you for your response,

I have read the Appendix E

The INVALID MAPPINGS (RED ROWS IN DCS OPTIONS MENU) is obviously my problem, but with M-2000C profile and Trim LEFT command

I have read your workarounds but I have already tried this, as I have tried to solve the issue deleting ..\joystick and ..\keyboard folders under my ..\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\M-2000C folder before start DCS, and then reload the M-2000C profiles

Note that at that moment, it works fine and I can use without probblem my trims ... until I exit and restart DCS

I have also tried to remove and recreate the modifiers but without more success

Before start DCS, I take care to start CTS ("Execute the script" button) and TARGET is started and profile is successfully launched

Strange also it happens always with the same line "Trim LEFT"

Other trim directions (right, up, down) are working fine

I don't know if this can help but I've noticed that 2 others lines are red (but I don't use them ...)

Engines START (Shift + Home)

Sun Visor Toggle (LShift + Home)

Edited by Oiz0