Open Source Joystick FFB / DIY FFB Joystick - Page 14 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-15-2017, 08:26 PM   #131
jpdesvals

Reputation power: 3
jpdesvals is on a distinguished road

Hi ,

Good to know that it helped.

@metal gear honk 1) is it possible for you to make a little step by step tutorial for how to install your test firmware into arduino as i am a total newb?
2) about the motor driver l298n : whatever the type of dc motors ( exept for stepper ) as long as you have the power supply in range for the motors you don t have to setup anything on the pc ( PWM for exemple ) ?
jpdesvals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:24 AM   #132
MetalGear_Honk

Reputation power: 2
MetalGear_Honk is on a distinguished road

Hi
The easy part first. :-)
The l298n is wired to the atmega32u4(Arduino pro).
So it has nothing to with your PC. The MCUis giving the signals for Direction and Speed (PWM) only the external power forthe DC Motor is separately wired to the L298n. it can run 2Ampere for eachMotor so we have something to play with.

As for the step by step for burning theMCU.
I will see what I can do. But I am notvery good with such things.

MetalGear_Honk

MetalGear_Honk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:58 AM   #133
jpdesvals

Yes!
Many H bridge motor controller available on the market for this project ! Everybody should get the maximum torque he deserve good !

For the gear , shaft high torque geared dc motors or litteraly every thing you may need "servocity" is remarquable too if that may help other people .

Your code( pin mapping part) is written for the arduino pro witch has not exactly the same pin mapping as the arduino uno v3 ... Pb : pwm port for exemple are pb3 , pb2, pb1 repectively pin 11,10, 9...and from what i understand we must wright in the code what pins are related to what function musn t we ?

1) Could you please change your code to comply with the arduino uno or have i to buy an arduino pro ?

2) can you realese if possible the .HEX with X and Y axis implemented so we can try it in the sim ?

Voila , many asking i know anyway thx a lot for your codding work Metal Gear cause after hours of research on the web i have not be able to find an existing firmware to make arduino recognised as a basic 2 axis USB force feedback device ...
Old 06-20-2017, 06:11 AM   #134
MetalGear_Honk

Hi

For using a different Arduino, or otherHardware:
The Arduino Uno uses a different MCU(ATMEGA328P) which has no USB functionality. To communicate with the PC it usesa second MCU (ATmega16U2)
The Arduino Pro Micro (ATmega32u4)
For a quick Explanation about Atmel MCU's:
AT= Atmel
mega= MCU Family
32/ 16 internal Memory for programming
U = USB Capable
Rest = Special stuff not of interest forthe Moment.

We Need a USB capable for obvious reason. Sothe UNO is out of question.
And the UNO's Communications MCU is not assessablefor reprogramming
(Or not recommended) and it has not enoughMemory to hold the code for FFB.

So, we could build the Communication MCUto hold the PID/HID. And use the ATmega238P to hold the functionality. It willbe a lot of work just to get the communication between these two MCU running. Notto talk about sending Forces all the way from Direct Input (PC) tothe Motors.

In short it may be possible to Change thecode to fit into a UNO, but it is too much work to make it happen. And I stillhave a lot of work to get the MICRO to a working Status.

For Getting a working HEX:
As I said a few Posts earlier a am workingon a "Functional" Version for everybody to test. :-)
At least with the internal ADC as I am stillwaiting for my new ASD1115
Speaking of functions is Button Supportneeded for your tests?

MetalGear_Honk

Old 06-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #135
jpdesvals

ok ,

-So let s go for an arduino pro

-Run Xloader to install your firmware .HEX file

-wiring as you explain and test !

no need for button for the test , only forces effect are my concern.

However :As you said "We Need a USB capable for obvious reason. Sothe UNO is out of question.
And the UNO's Communications MCU is not assessablefor reprogramming
(Or not recommended) and it has not enoughMemory to hold the code for FFB. "

1) in this tutorial you must have already look :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7A_fFHfN_c&t=5s

The arduino uno is pluged in USB and able to hold code ifor all the force feedback effects on one AXIS with every car game and obviously flight sim.

Wouldn t be possible to edit or modiffy Mmos.exe sofware(windows inteface )and the FFB2014.HEX file to had ( with your knowledge ) one axis , i mean in these software everything is already possible to setup and worrking so why not use it as base for your work ?

I can send you the Mmos.exe and the FFB2014.hex file as well .

There must be many things i am missing .

JP

Last edited by jpdesvals; 06-20-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:53 AM   #136
MetalGear_Honk

ReHi

For the Xloader. At first it looks like a greattool. But as I have no bootloader implemented it would brick you pro micro.
Better to go with a UNO as ISP programmer
Or any other ISP Programmer.

forthe open ffbWeel:
It has only one Axis as you stated. Thereforonly capable of two directions.
A Joystick has two Axis and is capableof 254 Directions.
The PID states that force and Directionare send in one command set of three Signals. For Basic use. Force effect,Force Strength and force direction.
(That is strongly simplified for moreInformation please read the HID and PID device class documents)

Another side note different effects on OSWsimply add up the force that is applied. On the stick it is possible to geteffects in different directions. Constant force 128 (180°pull from High G) andrising Saw 63 (90° from bullet impacts) these are not stacked but using differentMotors to drive.
Reducing the angle between the two effectswill produce some overlay but will not mask them entirely.

I am not the best Software developeraround so feel free to correct me.

Another note: I have to correct myselfform earlier the L298N can Support 5A so we have a lot more power to play with.

MetalGear_Honk