Any thoughts about creating a Recon Viggen ?

AdurianJ

Did you guys think about creating the Photo Recon SF37 or the Naval Recon SH37 Viggens ?

They are very similar aircraft to the AJS and especially the Photo bird would probably be very fun to fly.

Even the SK37 Viggen would be interesting in one way, I'm not sure there is an aircraft where one pilot could take up another and hands on teach them how to fly.

Would love to see the SF37, by far the best looking one.

(no, not an opinion - pure facts actually :) )

Once I was hoping for DCS modules to be family-trees, Like MiG-21 would contain bis, mf, pf etc. etc. and Viggen would be AJ SF SH JA and AJS since we pay a full simulator price for each module.

This aint going to happen, but I can live with that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Would love to see the SF37, by far the best looking one.

(no, not an opinion - pure facts actually :) )

Once I was hoping for DCS modules to be family-trees, Like MiG-21 would contain bis, mf, pf etc. etc. and Viggen would be AJ SF SH JA and AJS since we pay a full simulator price for each module.

This aint going to happen, but I can live with that.

Well for the Mig 21 the variants differ to a pretty big degree.

For AJS Viggen compared to the recon variants the differences are very small.

Id say the easiest variant would probably be the SH 37 (or AJSH 37)

since it would require less changes then the SF/AJSF 37.

Since for the SH 37 the Visual model would be more or less identical

and the cockpit only has some slight modification.

Radar is also the same spec as the AJS 37 so no need change anything there.

So they would just need to add the Camera Pods and maby some System changes.

Where as for a SF/AJSF 37 would require more significant changes to the Visual model,Cockpit,Systems and might also require some slight modifications to the flightmodel.

the SH 37 (and especially AJSH 37) would also keep more of the combat capabilities.

Though i agree the SF 37 can be good looking.

I'd really like a dedicated recon platform simply to enable more mission types, in turn enabling better cooperative gameplay. If a game is confined to fighters, what you get is just WVR/BVR fighting. Having aircraft take on other roles lets us recreate, and take part in, a wider and more dynamic air campaign. Ultimately my dream session for DCS is a sort of cooperative multiplayer, on the scale of Blue Flag, with the dynamics of an F4:AF campaign.

Having the aircraft to find a target so that a mission to strike it can be planned, as well as having the aircraft for the following BDA, is in my eyes a natural part of that chain.

it would require significant ingame infrastructure far beyond simply the coding of an aircraft and its systems -- it's never as simple as you'd like to make it sound

however you can already accomplish a useful amount of intel gathering and dissemination with what is currently available.

Edited by probad

And I'm in love with the green phosphorus MFDs from the eighties!

Regards!

Which depends on the version: the JA37Di has multicolor MFD's.

Oden, I agree that the SF37 is the most beautiful one, as an 'alternative fact'. :music_whistling:

How (s)low can you go

it would require significant ingame infrastructure far beyond simply the coding of an aircraft and its systems -- it's never as simple as you'd like to make it sound

however you can already accomplish a useful amount of intel gathering and dissemination with what is currently available.

Fully agree. It's not the topic of making a recon aircraft. Whichever recon platform it's it will just not bring any value without first creating a framework in the DCS engine that would support this kind of a missions.

As for the Viggen itself, consider that we're talking about quite a unique jet already while a recon version of it would be even more extraordinary. It would be a risky project from the perspective of overall potential interest in such module. Please don't assume that if it's similar in real life there would be no substantial development required. Another point is that developing is just a part of the cost, more important is the total cost of ownership which would come later from maintenance of a separate module. It's relatively easy to get a puppy but then it'll need to be fed and taken care about.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Fully agree. It's not the topic of making a recon aircraft. Whichever recon platform it's it will just not bring any value without first creating a framework in the DCS engine that would support this kind of a missions.

As for the Viggen itself, consider that we're talking about quite a unique jet already while a recon version of it would be even more extraordinary. It would be a risky project from the perspective of overall potential interest in such module. Please don't assume that if it's similar in real life there would be no substantial development required. Another point is that developing is just a part of the cost, more important is the total cost of ownership which would come later from maintenance of a separate module. It's relatively easy to get a puppy but then it'll need to be fed and taken care about.

And above that: the SF is a photoreconnaissance aircraft. For proper gameplay, it would have to fly over the target area first, take 'pictures', fly back, let the pictures be developed whereafter the actual missionplanning can begin. I don't see that happen in multiplayer settings, maybe in singleplayer for those few(?) who like to extend their missionbuilding that way.

Having said that, the SF37 would be nice as an AI addition, for immersion purposes. It only takes a reshape of the nose section and some extra pods and skins.

How (s)low can you go