Mission design under valued by ED? - Page 7 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #61
SiThSpAwN
Community Manager

Reputation power: 84
SiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to SiThSpAwN

Nobody said that 2.5 will release with all the fixes that everyone wants, 2.5 once its stabilized and release will allow them freedom to put resources elsewhere, including Scripting bugs. That is the hope.

It's not the opinion that breaks the rules, its the delivery of that opinion • ED Product TermsED External Communication Policy example
Veteran of the DCS WWII July update thread of Two Thousand Fourteen • You're so vain, I bet you think this post is about you. • "I find your lack of faith disturbing"
**How to report a bug** • Visit Mudspike for more great simulation discussion and more!
SiThSpAwN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:12 PM   #62
piXel496

Reputation power: 6
piXel496 is a jewel in the rough

Sure, I dont expect it in day one... Day two will be fine too

Last edited by piXel496; 01-13-2017 at 09:24 PM. Reason: ...or any later day. I just want scripting to be rewarding and fun again one day.
piXel496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #63
Igneous01

Reputation power: 3
Igneous01 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimes View Post
1. Can't speak for the ED documentation, suffice to say the PDF is somewhat out of date, just look at the UI style used in it compared to what we have now. Some of us have tried to create useful documentation. This whole forum section has plenty of threads of people helping each other out with assorted issues. Again, I feel I must link to the hoggit wiki where we've tried to get a little more in-depth in terms of documentation.

2. Really the only thing that triggers can do that lua can't is stuff associated directly with player aircraft and the specific aircraft they are flying. For example can't set failures, add cargo mass, know what cockpit instruments are reading, etc. My whole attitude of triggers vs scripting is that they both have a lot of overlap, but as soon as you start to create certain types of missions or logic then the complexity and workload required to do it with triggers becomes stupid high. Case in point is all of the wonderful scripts that automate anything. Doing that with triggers would be a nightmare, plus it wouldn't be easily "transportable" for you to use with other missions or allow you to add it to existing missions.
I'm really greatful for the hoggit wiki - it is my main go to place when I need to learn about what kind of calls I need to use and what to pass into them, and it's similar to how the Arma wiki is setup so finding stuff is relatively easy. However there's stuff that's not well explained that I can't find anywhere (how to setup IPC between DCS and an external program, how to connect to luasocket, interop, etc, the various lua environments (mission editor, simulation, external, etc))

For number 2, that's partially my point - cockpit arguments can only be done in triggers, and there's no way to poll a unit for their active radio and frequency. You also can't script dialog. As far as I can tell from searching, there's no way to create triggers in lua. I don't see methods for getting a units health, setting damage to a unit, moveToPosition command, setting weather, adjusting in game time, controlling mission flow logic, missing events (landed, hit, takeoff, flares, chaff).

Some other frustrations: can't log boolean variables using env (but this is a limitation of lua it seems). Flags are terrible imo. Considering the majority of trigger functionality is based on an indexed variable with no name, it becomes unwieldy to understand what some trigger logic is doing when all you see is (flagActive(51) && flag(100)==2) - that doesn't explain anything to the coder. It's the equivalent of obfuscating all variables in code to A, B, C, etc... If we could give meaningful names to them that would help greatly.

I also tried declaring and using a global variable instead of a flag, but I couldn't get it to work; it's not explained how far reaching the global scope is (is it accessible to each trigger do script? each units action do script? when is it initialized?). There's no explanation on when different parts of the simulation and scripting are initialized.

Perhaps I'm being too rough on DCS, because I have an existing base to compare it with (Arma) which has a more complete suite of mission editing capabilities. But it also means that there's little incentive for me to work with LUA in dcs if there's no support for some of the things I would like to do above.
Igneous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:28 PM   #64
SiThSpAwN
Community Manager

Reputation power: 84
SiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to SiThSpAwN

Quote:
Originally Posted by piXel496 View Post
Sure, I dont expect it in day one... Day two will be fine too
Well as long as you dont have unrealistic expectations

It's not the opinion that breaks the rules, its the delivery of that opinion • ED Product TermsED External Communication Policy example
Veteran of the DCS WWII July update thread of Two Thousand Fourteen • You're so vain, I bet you think this post is about you. • "I find your lack of faith disturbing"
**How to report a bug** • Visit Mudspike for more great simulation discussion and more!
SiThSpAwN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:00 AM   #65
Grimes
ED Testers Team

Reputation power: 144
Grimes has much to be proud ofGrimes has much to be proud ofGrimes has much to be proud ofGrimes has much to be proud ofGrimes has much to be proud ofGrimes has much to be proud ofGrimes has much to be proud ofGrimes has much to be proud ofGrimes has much to be proud ofGrimes has much to be proud ofGrimes has much to be proud ofGrimes has much to be proud ofGrimes has much to be proud ofGrimes has much to be proud ofGrimes has much to be proud ofGrimes has much to be proud of

The wiki is very much focused only on the scripting engine and mission editor. I frankly don't know all that much about the other lua environments to the point that I can write documentation on it. Besides having to use luasocket is more the purview of "game modification" as I believe the only way to do it purely within the scripting engine is to modify a few files. It can be done on the server side because that is what slmod uses to interact between the server and mission environments. It is a wiki though and if anyone has that know-how then they are free to add to it.

No argument from here that there needs to be more triggers and scripting functions. Even when you think you've added enough, there will still be something new to add.
Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #66
Wrecking Crew

Reputation power: 10
Wrecking Crew has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igneous01 View Post
Flags are terrible imo. Considering the majority of trigger functionality is based on an indexed variable with no name, it becomes unwieldy to understand what some trigger logic is doing when all you see is (flagActive(51) && flag(100)==2) - that doesn't explain anything to the coder. It's the equivalent of obfuscating all variables in code to A, B, C, etc... If we could give meaningful names to them that would help greatly.
Here is a flag scheme. Use this convention and a flag is directly tied to a Coalition/Group/Unit/State, or a Zone.
Attached Files
File Type: txt WC's Flags.txt (12.0 KB, 13 views)
Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.
Wrecking Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:19 PM   #67
FlightControl

Reputation power: 11
FlightControl is just really niceFlightControl is just really nice
Send a message via Skype™ to FlightControl

Quote:
My biggest gripe is the lack of documentation. There's just not enough information available and you know it's bad when google doesn't help.

My second biggest gripe is that lua really doesn't do a whole lot - i mean yeah you can respawn some units and setup patrols but it's really really limited in what it can do. In fact you can do almost anything you need to in game with triggers, there isn't a whole lot that lua has a purpose for unless you are building mods where the support is better.

Third is the general unstableness of mission design in general - one day it will work, the next day it wont.
Hi there, you wrote that lua doesn't do a lot... Can you elaborate a bit more on this? I mean, why do you say such. Am afraid you're missing out on the good stuff...

FC

Join MOOSE support channel on: SLACK.COM
Designed Missions: Gori Valley, Anapa Airbase
You can contact me on SKYPE (id: FlightControl_Skype)

FlightControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #68
FlightControl

Reputation power: 11
FlightControl is just really niceFlightControl is just really nice
Send a message via Skype™ to FlightControl

Quote:
Flags are terrible imo. Considering the majority of trigger functionality is based on an indexed variable with no name, it becomes unwieldy to understand what some trigger logic is doing when all you see is (flagActive(51) && flag(100)==2) - that doesn't explain anything to the coder. It's the equivalent of obfuscating all variables in code to A, B, C, etc... If we could give meaningful names to them that would help greatly.

On this one I completely agree. If you're looking for an alternative method, have a look here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...TweS1kmkLhua9n

This will simply your mission building a lot.

Join MOOSE support channel on: SLACK.COM
Designed Missions: Gori Valley, Anapa Airbase
You can contact me on SKYPE (id: FlightControl_Skype)

FlightControl is offline   Reply With Quote