Mission 4 'Race Against Time' - Misleading ADF

Cleric

After picking up the casualty, I turn on the ADF receiver and tune it to 353.00 as the pilot says (which should lead me to checkpoint 14), and get an arrow pointing directly north. After following the arrow for about 30 minutes, with the pilot and Doc constantly telling me to hurry, I look into the F10 map and see some blue forces at a checkpoint off to the NW, so I assume the ADF arrow will eventually start turning west. I wait, and wait, and wait, and then when the checkpoint is almost directly west of me the ADF arrow starts shifting...to the east...and then to the south east.

After essentially backtracking another 40 minutes, I get visual on another checkpoint. This time the ADF is actually pointing to it (or rather the airfield 3km north) and they pop smoke and I see the MEDEVAC bird coming in from the east. Literally, as my skids touch down, I hear the Doc say "You can slow down now, he's gone."

Okay. Surely this is just a deliberate plot twist, and the casualty is supposed to die as we touch down, right? Nope, Mission Failed.

The problem here is that, despite being tuned to the correct ADF freq (there were no gain spikes any where near the 350.00 range except for at 353.00,) the locator lead me on a wild goose chase 30 minutes (at >100 knots) northwest of when it should have been pointing almost straight east from the get go. I'm absolutely sure the arrow was pointing north--I scrutinized it very closely when I thought I was being mislead early on.

Is there some setting I missed? Is there some way for the ADF signal to bounce off the terrain in such an odd way?

I had the ADF somewhat working. It seems like you have to wait until you're out of the canyons then tune to it, then turn your ADF receiver on and off and retune until your arrow starts pointing. I had the same problem turning to 477.00 from the vector home.

• 2 weeks later...

Just been fighting with this mission and I think the problem is the mission script rather than the ADF. As far as I can see there are two ADF set close together, about 347 and 353. However the mission script seems simply to look for an ADF signal without checking which one. You hit the wrong signal ( due north ) first and the mission greenlights this. Just keep turning the dial and you should see the needle swing east.

It's possible that the mission have been broken by some update, but few months ago I managed to arrive to the medevac on time and saved the soldier. Hint> check the lat/lon coordinates on the screenshot to find the base.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1778897&postcount=28

attachment.php?attachmentid=83098&d=1370364136

Edited by Suchacz

Just been fighting with this mission and I think the problem is the mission script rather than the ADF. As far as I can see there are two ADF set close together, about 347 and 353. However the mission script seems simply to look for an ADF signal without checking which one. You hit the wrong signal ( due north ) first and the mission greenlights this. Just keep turning the dial and you should see the needle swing east.

Ahh thanks for this! Was wondering whether Im supposed to be flying over all of those mountains at max throttle only to land at an empty airfield an hour later. Very, very bad mission design I have to say they should correct this for the final version!

I had the same problem but on finding that I was miles away on top of a mountain with no BluFor in sight I restarted. I tuned the ADF and then checked that it was pointing East. I didn't like doing it as I felt it was cheating but that was the only option I could see.

I then found that the 477 setting on the ADF dial took me in roughly the right direction but no way was it taking me to Madrid.

In the end I recognised where I was from the river and just flew to where I could see Madrid was from looking at the knee board.

Once I knew that the ADF was taking me to the wrong place I kept fiddling with it around the 447 mark but I couldn't find anything that would take me in the right direction.

Very annoying.

This is a really long mission as it is, the idea that I could spend over an hour flying and then end up in completely the wrong place does not fill me with joy.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz, RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3, GFX: EVGA GTX 1080, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Joy: TM Warthog, Peds: CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR3, VR: Vive

Thanks to Suchacz I was able to finish. Thanks man.

I messed around with the ADF and found something.

I opened my map and panned to the east and you can see the landing zone to the N.E.-E.

I tuned the ADF just a little bit higher than required and I found the signal. It took me right to the target.

Asus P8Z77-V

i7-2600K @ 4.5

EVGA gtx 670 FTW

Asus VG278HE @ 1920 x 1080

16gb DDR3

Win 7 64

PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals

HOTAS WH

Track IR5

MFD Cougar Multifunctional Cockpit Panel

Are you sure you're actually tuning ADF higher than required? It got me a couple times until I realized that because of the parallax between the dial itself and the marker, it always looked like I was tuning past my desired frequency when I was hitting the right one. Switch between pilots and look at ADF dial to see what I'm talking about.

From the pickup position, point the bird to 070 and fly 43 nm. If you set the ADF properly, you should arrive to within the trigger of 3 km to the south of beacon position. Fly there before 12:23 and you got good tailwinds to even push you faster. Just make sure to be higher than 5,400 feet or you'll run into the peaks along the way. Contact FARP Berlin for nav assistance.

Most importantly, keep speed above 120 ktas to be there and start descending when you reach the pastures immediately west of Berlin.

There are several ADF frequencies intermingled with 353 khz, so be sure to select the most audible and full needle one. Be slow on rotating the knobs and you should get to desired location.

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

MDC for race against time

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 1 year later...

I'm glad I found this old thread. I went through exact the same troubles yesterday, flying to the north over the mountains, not finding the landing zone. So I was already wondering if I didn't understand how ADF is working ;-)

However, it would still be helpful if somebody could post a picture of the location on the "F10-map". I don't want to fly another hour into the wrong direction. At least the heading 070 and the 43 nm seems very helpful. I'll give it a try.

Edit: 077 did the trick ;-) Once you know this, you'll also be able to set the ADF correctly. Like John_C_Fleet mentioned, there are two ADF very close together.

Edited by rge75

Maintain 100 kts at all costs. The highest peak in between pickup and drop off is 6000 feet. You might want to stay at 7000 until you see the terrain getting low. Then floor it.

Either im blind or in the campaign kutaisi adf is sometimes in briefing as 447 and sometimes 477. 477 is the correct one.

Now i just open up my knee pad and look up the adf for kutaisi. I then compare the morse code to see if i'm tuned right.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have to say I'm finding this mission most frustrating myself!

When your co-pilot says "Let me take the controls" is there something you have to do to actually give him control?

First time I just thought he was going to keep the heli flying straight and level so just stopped flying and looked down and started fiddling with the radio buttons only to discover a few moments later we were horrendously out of control. I madly grabbed the stick in an attempt to arrest control only to snap the rotor off and plum it to my doom. Not being exactly sure why the copilot lost control, the next time I was sure to trim the aircraft before adjusting the radio using Helios dashboard on a second monitor so I didn't have to "look down" as such and did manage get the right frequency tuned in however I smash my tail rotor on landing by accidentally pressing the "force trim" button at an inopportune time —my mistake I know. The next two times I tried flying using the Oculus Rift and crashed the first time as once I tuned in the frequency he said I was given back control however I spent too long trying to turn the radio from "OFF' to "ADF" and crashed while trying to turn it on (acturly turning on the ADF is not so easy to do while using the Oculus Rift). The next time I was sure to turn ADF on while on the ground then tuned the frequency once the co-pilot had control bit didn't realise it had in fact picked up the "far north" beacon and flew way off coarse without realising (note; it's actually quite hard to read the compass in the Oculus Rift). And finally this last time, fed up with not being able to read the instruments with the Oculus flew without it but had the heli crash again while it was allegedly under the co-pilots control again!

I know under the "cheats" menu there is the "Active Pause" option which allows you to do things like tune the radio whilst paused, but is there a way to do this without resorting to such "cheats"? I mean your copilot actually says he's going to take control but simply doesn't do it, or am I missing something?

Well, finally made it through.

I had to trim the heli and use the Helios dashboard to input the frequency but it works well enough. The good thing about the Helios dash is that you can see much more precisely what frequency you are tuning. It probably isn't as accurate in terms of simulating a true Huey aircraft but given it enables you to actually enter the correct frequency while you keep one eye on the horizon it did allow me to get through. By the way, I have no idea if the co-pilot is actually taking the controls or not.

• 9 months later...

In Huey control you can set what AI pilot should do (level flight, hold attitude, orbit), and you can set Autopilot ON/OFF button. So, set AI pilot behavior, and then activate Autopilot. Only then AI pilot will take control. Very useful feature, BTW, and not only for this particular mission.

• 11 months later...

So I was just doing this mission and following the beacon further and further north. Eventually decided to find out where it was taking me and Nalchik has an inner beacon at the frequency 350.0Mhz which is why it is throwing so many people off. Unfortunately 353.0 is the frequency near the Medivac site when looking that the ME. Probably wasn't the best place to have the Medivac or a new beacon should have been created in lua script to create a unique one.

attachment.php?attachmentid=204111&stc=1&d=1549656247

Screen_190208_130316.thumb.png.086902b25b829999f14f731a8531ba6f.png

Edited by Kazius

the fact these two frequencies are close together is part of the mission design.

we all learned the valuable lesson "make sure you have the right frequency.."

and we learn it the hard way :)

somebody dies...

so its a good mission :)

Edited by Quadg

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

• 1 year later...

7 years later, I play for the first time and encounter the same issue. Missions 4 and 5 have my ADF needling pointing in the wrong direction, or at least out by some amount.

Heading home, I've double checked 477 mhz and do find a strong signal there, but it wants to take me to an airfield miles to the west. After reading through all these posts, I still don't see a solution apart from use the map and locate the marked location (easier for home base, less for other), or try other frequencies. I didn't find any close frequencies like the 350 vs 353, which was my first instinct to check.

Radio compass is also calibrated, though I'm not sure if that changes ADF needle direction or just the compass rose.

I'm about to start this mission. Havent used Auto-Pilot yet and had some trouble setting the correct ADF for my last mission. Looks like I have to change some controls before I try this one. I like flying fast tho ;)

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

• 3 years later...

Oh joy!

I’ve just tried this mission. Glad to see I’m not the only one…

I did follow the correct checkpoint 14 adf first time and pick up the casualty. But then the return ADF for Madrid took me off course and despite using the knee pad to head back, I ran out of fuel just before Madrid.

I had a problem with the Madrid adf on the Reporters mission too - that seemed to take me way off course but I can’t be certain I had the correct adf mode setup on that one (frequency was correct though).