Any news regarding the Cobra? - Page 9 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-31-2016, 02:41 PM   #81
WinterH

W is also serving in other countries, and is an 80s version, it would be a good version to have but, I am not arguing for it to be W, Belsimtek seem to have eventually settled on W after everyone going ballistic on G being announced instead of a later one. Fist AH-1F was considered instead, which eventually seem to have become W. Personaly, I believe the F would have been a good compromise.

I always say, and have said also in theead "after finishing F-5 and ironing the remaining kinks on other modules". Belsimtek were doing those stuff, it is not like we are making this out of our backsides. So yeah, no trolling here, at least until now .
Old 06-02-2016, 03:37 AM   #82
streakeagle

While I would be happy with any version of the Cobra, I would be happiest with the originally planned AH-1G. After that, I think I like the AH-1W best. I generally prefer the rounded canopy to the flat panel one, but I wouldn't mind an AH-1F/S or whatever other designation was given to the single engine Army Cobras with flat panel canopy, TOW missiles, and 3-barrel 20mm cannon.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:06 AM   #83
AlphaOneSix
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakeagle View Post
but I wouldn't mind an AH-1F/S or whatever other designation was given to the single engine Army Cobras with flat panel canopy, TOW missiles, and 3-barrel 20mm cannon.
If all you're looking for is the 20mm and TOW missiles, that would be an AH-1S (ECAS)/AH-1E. The next upgrade was the AH-1S (MC)/AH-1F which added some things but the armament was basically the same as the ECAS/E model (added a laser rangefinder and some countermeasure stuff).

In other words, the evolution is as follows (for single engine variants):

AH-1G - Initial version of Cobra
AH-1Q - G-model with TOW capbility
AH-1R - G-model with upgraded engine (no TOW capability)
AH-1S (MOD) -> Renamed just AH-1S after 1988 - G-model with TOW system from Q-model and engine from R-model
AH-1S (PROD) -> Renamed AH-1P after 1988 - A few upgrades to AH-1S (MOD), including the introduction of the flat-plate canopy
AH-1S (ECAS) -> Renamed AH-1E after 1988 - Added 20mm cannon and new rocket subsystem
AH-1S (MC) -> Renamed AH-1F after 1988 ("F" for "Fully Modernized") - Added HUD, laser rangefinder, IR countermeasures

Last edited by AlphaOneSix; 06-11-2016 at 07:52 AM.
AlphaOneSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #84
MBot
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOneSix View Post
AH-1G - Initial version of Cobra
AH-1Q - G-model with TOW capbility
AH-1R - G-model with upgraded engine (no TOW capability)
AH-1S (MOD) -> Renamed just AH-1S after 1988 - G-model with TOW system from Q-model and engine from R-model
AH-1S (PROD) -> Renamed AH-1P after 1988 - A few upgrades to AH-1S (MOD)
AH-1S (ECAS) -> Renamed AH-1E after 1988 - Added 20mm cannon and new rocket subsystem
AH-1S (MC) -> Renamed AH-1F after 1988 ("F" for "Fully Modernized") - Added HUD, laser rangefinder, IR countermeasures
Thanks, I was about to post the same list For completeness sake we might add that the AH-1P introduced the flat canopy.
MBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:43 AM   #85
streakeagle

In 1985, AH-1S is what the latest/greatest Army Cobra was designated. I saw them, I touched them... I also flew them in a board game: Air Cav. https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3309/air-cav

I sat in a very late AH-1F in 1997... so I knew there had been some renaming/shuffling of the designations. It had a RWR, too.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:51 AM   #86
AlphaOneSix
Veteran

Yep, I played Air Cav, too. Loved it. The Cobras in that game were the ECAS version, so in a few years they would have been called E models.
AlphaOneSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:36 PM   #87
MBot
Veteran

Nice overview on the 20mm gun and Rocket Management Subsystem introduced on the AH-1E.
MBot is offline   Reply With Quote