Top Gun/Southern Cali map - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 03:57 PM   #1
robert.clark251

Default Top Gun/Southern Cali map

So I was thinking about this last night. How sweet would it be to hold an old school Miramar/Top Gun tournament online and treat it like the movie, winner takes home the trophy.

Then I got to thinking how well suited a map of that area would be for training on all levels. You have Fighter Weapons School at Miramar, you have San Clemente where naval special warfare trains and uses air assets for CAS, you have the ship yard for the pacific in San Diego along with NAS North Island, you have a training range at the end of the island for Sea Hawks, you have the Mexican coast line 4 miles south of San Diego. The list goes on. With the new carrier module coming out, it would be an ideal area for carrier training/operations. Not to mention the various environments from coastal, forest, mountain and city, all in one map. Numerous civilian airports, along with the possibility of creating fictitious drug running operations out of Mexico.

Let me know what you guys think?
robert.clark251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #2
=Buckeye=

This has been brought up many, many times in the past -- especially recently since DCS is taking a Navy/Marine direction on the recent modern jets -- the takeaways of each discussion has been:

- The community 100% agrees with you and would love to see the NTTR map expanded West and South, would potentially make it the best/most relevant map we have
- ED has said they are done expanding NTTR and there are no plans for this to ever be done
Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + Warthog Grip | JetSeat SE | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2

VR Rig:
ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Odyssey+ VR HMD | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

On Order:
Pimax 5K+
=Buckeye= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
Top Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.clark251 View Post
So I was thinking about this last night. How sweet would it be to hold an old school Miramar/Top Gun tournament online and treat it like the movie, winner takes home the trophy.

Then I got to thinking how well suited a map of that area would be for training on all levels. You have Fighter Weapons School at Miramar, you have San Clemente where naval special warfare trains and uses air assets for CAS, you have the ship yard for the pacific in San Diego along with NAS North Island, you have a training range at the end of the island for Sea Hawks, you have the Mexican coast line 4 miles south of San Diego. The list goes on. With the new carrier module coming out, it would be an ideal area for carrier training/operations. Not to mention the various environments from coastal, forest, mountain and city, all in one map. Numerous civilian airports, along with the possibility of creating fictitious drug running operations out of Mexico.

Let me know what you guys think?
Regarding NAS Miramar in the 80's, something was already created as an add-on scenario for FSX, so it would definitively be possible.

https://secure.simmarket.com/mile-hi...-gun-fsx.phtml

I can only say, that scenario is GREAT - if available I would buy it again for DCS.
HDD: WD 500 GB ( 7.200 rpm )
MoBo: ASRock H81 Pro BTC
Op. Sys: Win 7, 64 bit

FC3 , MiG-21Bis , F/A-18C
Top Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:59 PM   #4
robert.clark251

I understand not extending the NTTR map. But maybe an entirely new map with San Diego, NAS Miramar, San Clemente Island, Edwards AFB, San Diego International and Las Angeles International. I still think it provides a lot of military training opportunities, especially for future Sea born operations/modules. There is no reason to try and attach that map to the NTTR. To far away. Plus, if they could extend it far enough to hit Edwards, we would have an AF training base.
robert.clark251 is offline   Reply With Quote