Notices

Old 09-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #81
I_Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Close View Post
According to the DCS.log in 2.1 the
Code:
mount_vfs_sound_path
is now obsolete. How do we mount our custom sounds to our aircraft?
Re-asking this - anyone have suggestions/input?
I_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:58 PM   #82
Benedictus de Suede

Good question I_Gamer!

There are some really good old mods that are totally silent now.

Those Mods usually contains a "Mods" folder and a "Sound" folder. But it seems almost impssible to get them to work.

Would really appreciate some guidlines how to get them to work.
Benedictus de Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:41 PM   #83
I_Gamer

The lack of knowledge in sound development in DCS is frustrating, really. Or should I say, lack of transparency?

There are few, myself and Moltar included, that actually know a thing or two about DCS' current sound handling.

Good, no, great sound design is imperative to an immersive product. Crappy sound = crappy immersion IMHO. DCS does not have "crappy" sound design by any means, but the current way of doing things is inefficient for the community to learn, or adapt to, new tech that the developers implement. I would love to see more developers interacting on threads like this; to give insight and direction to something that isn't totally clear. I'd love to help more, but I have hit a brick wall since the important bits of the sound engine are hidden inside encrypted DLLs. :\
Old 02-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #84
Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Gamer View Post
The lack of knowledge in sound development in DCS is frustrating, really. Or should I say, lack of transparency?

There are few, myself and Moltar included, that actually know a thing or two about DCS' current sound handling.

Good, no, great sound design is imperative to an immersive product. Crappy sound = crappy immersion IMHO. DCS does not have "crappy" sound design by any means, but the current way of doing things is inefficient for the community to learn, or adapt to, new tech that the developers implement. I would love to see more developers interacting on threads like this; to give insight and direction to something that isn't totally clear. I'd love to help more, but I have hit a brick wall since the important bits of the sound engine are hidden inside encrypted DLLs. :\
I totally agree with you !
Even in some old modules of FSX, sounds are much more better than in DCS.
A nice environment is important but if you want a real immersive simulation you have to combine this environment with realistic and immersive sounds

...despite some efforts I think there is still much to do on this topic.

I really love this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGBik7-xmaw
10 years ago !!!
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #85
Sirius

Quote:
Re-asking this - anyone have suggestions/input?
I think I have the answer to what you want to know. It depends on if you're talking about in-pit sounds or external sounds.

For external sounds, there is a line in the AIRCRAFT.lua file (ie. F-104T.lua) for this. It is "sound_name" and refers to a directory path to the Sounds folder, ex. as "aircraft\F-104T\Sounds". For in-pit sounds, I am honestly not so sure as I am still trying to look into that as well.

I hope I was able to help answer your question. There is indeed a lack of knowledge in this area that I wish was fully more covered over beside the examples that we have been given in modding.

VRET #1 - Lead

AMD Ryzen 5 | AMD Radeon RX 580 | 8 GB DDR4 | 128 HDD | 2 TB SSD
Discord: Sirius#8952
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:41 AM   #86
I_Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I think I have the answer to what you want to know. It depends on if you're talking about in-pit sounds or external sounds.

For external sounds, there is a line in the AIRCRAFT.lua file (ie. F-104T.lua) for this. It is "sound_name" and refers to a directory path to the Sounds folder, ex. as "aircraft\F-104T\Sounds". For in-pit sounds, I am honestly not so sure as I am still trying to look into that as well.

I hope I was able to help answer your question. There is indeed a lack of knowledge in this area that I wish was fully more covered over beside the examples that we have been given in modding.
Unfortunately, that does not.

What we need to be able to do is assign new audio files to a specific aircraft. Take the Hornet for example. I want/need to be able to tell the sound engine that I want "X" sound file to activate differently than it is, and I also need to tell the game that there are new sounds - and how to use them. The only way to do this, from my investigation, is via the ED Audio API which is encrypted in a DLL.

This way you could start implementing "per aircraft" sounds instead of having specific sound sample shared across multiple aircraft. Proper access to this information would also allow a greater level of customization on developing better sound mods or overhauls, since you would no longer be limited by what samples the developers decide to implement.

ArmA 3 is great like this, because you have almost full control over how sound samples are handled for any given vehicle or object. The level of detail I was able to implement into my aircraft sound mods in the later days for ArmA 3 is so simple - compared to how complicated it is for the same information to be accessed in DCS.

For example; this is a code taken from the F-16C Audio Overhaul I did in A3 a year or so ago.

Code:
class rs_f16c_EngineLowExtFront_SoundShader
	{
		samples[]=
		{

{
				"RealSoundF16C\snd\exterior\16_idle_rear",
			}
		};
		frequency="1.0 min (rpm + 0.5)*(rpm factor[0, 1])";
		volume="machcone*engineOn*camPos*(rpm factor[0, 1])*(thrust factor[0.75, 0])";
		range=800;
	};
Each class of sound is completely customizable, in the sense that as long as you're calling up these sounds in the init file of the aircraft - they will get loaded, and used! This means you're only limited to how many samples the game can play at any given moment (my max on the F-14, my most recent, was up to around 15 unique samples just for the exterior in-flight sounds alone, compared to the 3 or 4 that are usually included stock). The DCS Hornet has quite a few, however, can be improved upon by changing definitions and adding new samples to fill gaps.

The actual definition of how the sounds are played is defined by the "frequency" and "volume". This particular aircraft has a simulated pitch increase, since ArmA doesn't do too well of matching pitch with throttle input - I decided to do it myself by writing several different variables that did it without having to make multiple samples that were just increased in pitch, saving in both system resources and overall workload. That's just only scratching the surface in the ArmA 3 audio world...

So - as you can see, we don't have anywhere close to the same access of information that we would need in order to be as creative. But, every developer and company is different.

We may never get access to such tools, but as long as I'm around - I'll keep trying my best to find new ways for things to sound better and better - both on the ground and in the air.

Last edited by I_Gamer; 02-12-2019 at 03:48 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:02 PM   #87
Benedictus de Suede

What I dont get is this:

1) This post is still tagged as "Sticky". Originally posted by an ED Team member. And it´s now been +6 YEARS! since a developer paid any attention to the comments. Or at least it looks that way.

2) There are a lot of ships mods and stuff that we still can download from User files, that add real value to the game which ED gets for FREE! Especially when you design missions. But they have no working sounds anymore.

3) Why can´t they just fix this. Give a simple instructions for example how to add cannon sounds to the ships etc.

4) It looks like ED have a really devoted community of modders. That's a valuable resource, but seriously do they get the attention they deserve?

Last edited by Benedictus de Suede; 02-14-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Benedictus de Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:35 AM   #88
Sirius

Quote:
Each class of sound is completely customizable, in the sense that as long as you're calling up these sounds in the init file of the aircraft - they will get loaded, and used! This means you're only limited to how many samples the game can play at any given moment (my max on the F-14, my most recent, was up to around 15 unique samples just for the exterior in-flight sounds alone, compared to the 3 or 4 that are usually included stock). The DCS Hornet has quite a few, however, can be improved upon by changing definitions and adding new samples to fill gaps.

The actual definition of how the sounds are played is defined by the "frequency" and "volume". This particular aircraft has a simulated pitch increase, since ArmA doesn't do too well of matching pitch with throttle input
This sounds like something that would have to be done by having an EFM, but I have no definitive answer on this. Besides being able to control the sounds of your intakes, afterburner, (external and cockpit) throttles on idle and rear engines, I don't think you have any other way by default to control your sounds. I also have no idea exactly how to create an EFM but there is a good demo here on the forums by CptSmiley (now a 3rd party dev) for the F-16.

For your definition on controlling sound by frequency and volume, I believe the only default sound able to have this applied to is your external "throttles on idle" sound which also mimics engine RPM.

VRET #1 - Lead

AMD Ryzen 5 | AMD Radeon RX 580 | 8 GB DDR4 | 128 HDD | 2 TB SSD
Discord: Sirius#8952
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:54 AM   #89
I_Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
This sounds like something that would have to be done by having an EFM, but I have no definitive answer on this. Besides being able to control the sounds of your intakes, afterburner, (external and cockpit) throttles on idle and rear engines, I don't think you have any other way by default to control your sounds. I also have no idea exactly how to create an EFM but there is a good demo here on the forums by CptSmiley (now a 3rd party dev) for the F-16.

For your definition on controlling sound by frequency and volume, I believe the only default sound able to have this applied to is your external "throttles on idle" sound which also mimics engine RPM.

I was just making an example of how much control we "don't" have over sounds in DCS. The sim already simulates the throttle movement in the pitch/frequency of the engine, I was just trying to make a point is all.

Anyway; I don't think an EFM would solve this - as it's really only supposed to be used as a flight model. You don't need access to that data, at least to my recollection. Yes the sound engine can pull info from the flight model to perhaps define certain characteristics of said file. You would need access to the API responsible for linking sound files/SDEF files to specific aircraft. And I have no idea how that would happen - the developers would have to be more open about how they can help us achieve what it is we're looking to do.

@Benedictus de Suede - I know, like I said - their lack of transparency is frustrating at best. There's not been much talk about this by ED directly in a long time, not sure why. I would think that they have a dedicated audio team for stuff like this? After-all, someone had to come up with the system to begin with - right?

Echo One Niner (E19) Audio
official.echo19audio.com