VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

AMVI_Rider

VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support  

169 members have voted

1. 1. VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

• Yes
    • No

Super nice product you have here Rider ! Really glad I found this.

As I shop for a tablet and Pen, I'd like to be able to hand swipe through pages. Does any Tablet with touch support allow for this through the VRK software ?

What are the recommended tablets and Pens from you ? I see that the H640P has been recommended, but don't believe that it has touch support ?

I'm also interested in Leap Motion integration ( I sub'd to your youtube channel showing the future integration potential ). Any consideration to implementing Haptic feedback through Leap as well?

thanks again and will be donating for this great product !

Shack

Edited by Shack

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Super nice product you have here Rider ! Really glad I found this.

As I shop for a tablet and Pen, I'd like to be able to hand swipe through pages. Does any Tablet with touch support allow for this through the VRK software ?

What are the recommended tablets and Pens from you ? I see that the H640P has been recommended, but don't believe that it has touch support ?

I'm also interested in Leap Motion integration ( I sub'd to your youtube channel showing the future integration potential ). Any consideration to implementing Haptic feedback through Leap as well?

thanks again and will be donating for this great product !

Shack

While it doesn't have touch support, the H640P has 6 mappable buttons on the tablet and 2 more on the pen. The tablet buttons for me do the page and tab navigate and the hide the kneeboards. Then the pen is erase and gesture controls.

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

While it doesn't have touch support, the H640P has 6 mappable buttons on the tablet and 2 more on the pen. The tablet buttons for me do the page and tab navigate and the hide the kneeboards. Then the pen is erase and gesture controls.

Appreciate the info.

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

Reverb Pro HMD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spent some time with Rider on his discord ( He’s a patient man ! ), and got me setup with dual H640P kneeboards. VRK is just superb and a much needed DCS program.

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

Reverb Pro HMD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spent some time with Rider on his discord ( He’s a patient man ! ), and got me setup with dual H640P kneeboards. VRK is just superb and a much needed DCS program.

I saw that over at Discord, glad he got you working. Let us know how you feel about the dual H640P. I considered getting a second on but decided it wasn't worth the bulk of the second one on my lap with how easy it is to control both sides with how VRK switches sides easily.

Couple of H640P tips, the extra pen nibs are in the bottom of the pen holder. I have 6 cabinet door bumpers as tactile nubs for the drawing area corners and the bottom of the kneeboard drawing controls area.

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

I saw that over at Discord, glad he got you working. Let us know how you feel about the dual H640P. I considered getting a second on but decided it wasn't worth the bulk of the second one on my lap with how easy it is to control both sides with how VRK switches sides easily.

Couple of H640P tips, the extra pen nibs are in the bottom of the pen holder. I have 6 cabinet door bumpers as tactile nubs for the drawing area corners and the bottom of the kneeboard drawing controls area.

Not sure I follow .. can you send a pic of what you mean? Sounds like something useful.

When I get home in a week or so, I'll try and create a video on the dual tablet setup - at least the little that I know !

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

Reverb Pro HMD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not sure I follow .. can you send a pic of what you mean? Sounds like something useful.

When I get home in a week or so, I'll try and create a video on the dual tablet setup - at least the little that I know !

Yeah, I wasn't home when I posted that and was thinking the same thing. I got the idea from one of the YouTube channels about VR recommendations where he put them on his TM MFDs. I did the same thing and have added them to my Saitek Switch Panel too. Something new I just added was the electrical tape. Looks ugly but is a tactile feedback to when the pen tip hits the edge of the writing area.

I discovered that writing actually became easier on the other leg with one tablet controlling because the tablet is always on the side I write with. I just had to overcome that little bit of disorienting feeling at first of hand here, writing there. But there is lots of that in VR.

20200507_224447.thumb.jpg.ef2dc592508bf71d0a826b8001792d7f.jpg

20200507_224512.thumb.jpg.ca9276ba430949a674fc48383ac8492c.jpg

20200507_224539.thumb.jpg.3c852cddbf509745d4978d04863828e9.jpg

Edited by Snake122

Hello,

Thanks for your works!

it would be possible to have a system to write directly with a keyboard ? Exemple on a DATA card.

For the moment i use Open Office Draw and it work fine but need some manipulation and often the program crashes.

Another question, if we modify an image we must change the whole? we can not just reload

Thanks a lot

Yeah, I wasn't home when I posted that and was thinking the same thing. I got the idea from one of the YouTube channels about VR recommendations where he put them on his TM MFDs. I did the same thing and have added them to my Saitek Switch Panel too. Something new I just added was the electrical tape. Looks ugly but is a tactile feedback to when the pen tip hits the edge of the writing area.

I discovered that writing actually became easier on the other leg with one tablet controlling because the tablet is always on the side I write with. I just had to overcome that little bit of disorienting feeling at first of hand here, writing there. But there is lots of that in VR.

Thanks for showing. That seems very useful. I still havent figured out how do you write on both kneeboards by using only one tablet ?

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

Reverb Pro HMD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for showing. That seems very useful. I still havent figured out how do you write on both kneeboards by using only one tablet ?

Just focus on the one you want to write on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello AMVI_Rider,

this seems like a great app! I'd love to use it but unfortunately it seems I'm doing something wrong. I can't see the kneeboards, instead I'm only getting the AMVI logo on both knees.

VRK.log gives me lots of errors: ERROR VRKneeboardLib.OpenVROverlay - Unable to Set Overlay Texture: InvalidTexture

I'd very much appreciate your help! :-) Thanks!

Archduke

Z390 MB | i7-8700k | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB m.2 NVME | 1TB SATA SSD | AsRock 6900XT | PowerMac G5 Case Mod | HP Reverb G2 | AKG K500 | TM Warthog | Virpil TCS Rotor Base w/ Constellation Alpha | Virpil MongoosT CM2 base w/ MongooseT grip (soon) | MFG Crosswind pedals | 3x TM Cougar MFDs

It is a great tool. I have had to stop using it because it produces loss of FPS, so precious in DCS right now. I hope that soon I can enjoy it when they give the push to the VR.

YouTube Channel

Update: MSI Z790 Tomahawk, i9 13900k, DDR5 64GB 640 MHz, MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio, 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe M.2 and 4 more, HOTAS TM Warthog, Meta Quest Pro

Will the custom driver work with the Huion H420? If not currently, can you look into it? I just picked one up, and it works really well, except I can't seem to get the custom driver to work so I can use the buttons on the stylus and tablet.

Edit: Additionally, and it might be easier to support more devices, would be to allow users to set keyboard bindings for the different buttons as well, so you can bind the different buttons to keys, as I know at least the default Huion software allows the buttons to be mapped to keyboard presses. Then, it would be simply a matter of going in and setting up the tablet and VRK for the same bindings for stuff like gesture, forward, back, etc.

Bringing this one forward. I just picked up the H420 and the custom drivers do seem to work with it, but the pen inputs are not detected whatsoever. I get the same strange device manager behaviors Echo179 got.

As seen in the log files, it does detect the tablet using custom drivers:

2020-05-21 16:52:53,534 [1] INFO VRKneeboardLib.UcLogicDevice - Custom driver

2020-05-21 16:52:53,575 [1] INFO VRKneeboardLib.UcLogicDevice - Custom driver detected VID:256C PID:006E Device:Huion

Something is not talking, and i have spent the entire day with the awesome and patient discord users trying to sort this out with no avail. I am determined to make this thing work one way or another!

For the other poster that got the H420, did you ever get it working?

Rig Specs: i7 8700k @ 5ghz, ROG Strix z390e, 32GB DDR4 3200mhz, EVGA FTW3 1080 ti, Corsair rm750, Cooler Master ml240l RGB, Cooler Master h500p mesh

Question. I've set up the kneeboard and while in the F-18 pit I can see two transparent rectangles one of which has my DCS kneeboard on it. I am unable through using the pen or Wacom able to bring the kneeboard into bright and focused mode consistently. I've been able to get the kneeboard to come up two times by accident and not able to replicate that consitently. What's the trick?

Burner

Intel Core i7 9700 @ 5.1Ghz, Nvidia RTX 2080Ti, Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, HOTAS Hornet, Virpil CM2 Base, MFG Rudders , HP Reverb Pro

Is this working with 2.5.6

I can see the where the kneeboards are, but they are completely blank to me. I cant see the plates or anything..

Edit Got it to work! Really nice!!

I am experiencing what seem like the same issue..how are you able to get them to appear (other than transparent)?

Burner

Intel Core i7 9700 @ 5.1Ghz, Nvidia RTX 2080Ti, Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, HOTAS Hornet, Virpil CM2 Base, MFG Rudders , HP Reverb Pro

Question. I've set up the kneeboard and while in the F-18 pit I can see two transparent rectangles one of which has my DCS kneeboard on it. I am unable through using the pen or Wacom able to bring the kneeboard into bright and focused mode consistently. I've been able to get the kneeboard to come up two times by accident and not able to replicate that consitently. What's the trick?

You look straight at one them in VR. They will stop being transparent and enlarge somewhat. For me this was a little hard in the default position because you have to bend your neck pretty far and basically look at the top of your thighs to do this. If you adjust the Z in the VRK settings VR tab it will be a little more comfortable and easier. You also have a setting in the Base tab for "Active Kneeboard Switching" which controls the kneeboard side you are writing on. I leave it on "Auto (focused)" so I write on whichever one I'm looking at.

... For me this was a little hard in the default position because you have to bend your neck pretty far and basically look at the top of your thighs to do this. If you adjust the Z in the VRK settings VR tab it will be a little more comfortable and easier...

To enlarge the are in which the kneeboard becomes active (and changes it size) without moving the kneeboards you can use the Default Focus Factor for Width and Height.

My settings are 1.3 for Height and 1.1 for Width.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Ryzen 5 3600X - 32GB DD4 3200C14 Win10 64 - Geforce GTX 1080Ti

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

35" UWQHD main display + 22" MFCD/Helios display / Rift S

2x256 GB SSD - 2Tb Caviar Green

To enlarge the are in which the kneeboard becomes active (and changes it size) without moving the kneeboards you can use the Default Focus Factor for Width and Height.

My settings are 1.3 for Height and 1.1 for Width.

Good to know!!! Thanks Rider!

I've been following this thread from nearly the start, because it's exactly what's needed in VR. But everytime I looked at buying a tablet, I could never decide on which to get (size? buttons? brand? BT?) and would give up for another day.

I knew I had an old Wacom Intuous 2 (circa 2003!) lying about, but didn't think it'd actaully work seeing as even some newer tablets don't. Until I set it up yesterday to have a try, and shockingly it did! A 17 year old tablet works with this program... and had no problems in setup. Spent the whole night creating custom layouts for each plane

Now I've used VRK, I know I have to get a new pen tablet (the intuos 2 is just too big), this is truly one of those "no going back" features you've created Rider.

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL

Highly recommend the Huion H640P. It is affordable, not too big, not too little, mappable buttons to help out with VRK. You just need to make sure you follow the install instructions in the guide and use Rider's custom driver, you don't need to ever install the Huion ones for VRK use.