[CORRECT AS IS] Unrealistic HUD shape

MerlinG

Dear Team,

I couldn't ignore that even when you zoomed in closely the HUD is shaped a bit like " V " . It is meant to be parallel so the pilot only sees two vertical " brackets holding the glass " not like a " V "shape as it is an optical illusion. It only looks " V " shaped on pictures and videos because of the nature of all wide-angle lenses. If you pay attention you can see also on those pictures that the horizon is curving too. A good example of that it's shaped like an " A " if the picture is taken from the other direction with a wide-angle lens.

And here taken a picture approximately with a 50mm focal length lens which is known to be producing a view closest to as human eyes see.

If you could guys fix this because it is very frustrating especially that we are staring at that thing for hours.

Optical_Module.thumb.jpg.9c579a47f709df039361167519b0ff2b.jpg

F-16_Hud_349x248.jpg.66249783114771770373266cd04cea06.jpg

WAC-HUD.thumb.jpg.524a35c2107c73a25a2a8c838bdf93b5.jpg

DCS_F-16C_Cockpit_03.thumb.jpg.756cc30f1e79e6df55b9bb9f169731f4.jpg

18mm.thumb.png.5f02e425b88f5e2b6c633cdcaacac5bc.png

Edited by MerlinG

Screenshots from the game for comparison? Looks fine to me.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

It ain't wide angle lens that causes it. It is the parallax error by having different perspective than from straight front.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

It ain't wide angle lens that causes it. It is the parallax error by having different perspective than from straight front.

It could be that too. The point is if you are sitting in a real F-16 cockpit that's not the way you see the HUD at all!

The model is correct. You can check it with the ModelViewer.

Listen Einstein ! :doh: Yes the external view of it looks good and that makes it even funnier but I am talking about when you are in the cockpit as I just posted the pictures to compare! See the pictures ??? If you ever had a chance to sit in a real cockpit you would know what I am talking about.

Both of you are right. The model is probably correct and the view ingame looks probably not like it would in real life. This is due to the fact that you have to make a compromise when you try to project that view onto a 2D screen and have a certain FOV. Yes, some things start to get distorted. See the two attached extreme cases in which i experimented with the zoom (which is equivalent to FOV in DCS) and leaning forward/backward

Sometimes it appears parallel, sometimes it appears V-shaped

One can argue about realism but where is it to start? At the Viper's model? at DCS itself? What problems naturally appear when you mess around/change these parameters (keep in mind that these settings also affect the appearence of the world outside the cockpit)? Before these questions cannot be answered (and eventually the problems solved) it is meaningless to discuss about that "issue" in my opinion.

Screen_191005_170443.thumb.png.8f8e60321c1c16683776fba6c3623908.png

Screen_191005_170434.thumb.png.7c5403bcf4205e9d58a9d4b2ba393b9a.png

Edited by Moafuleum

Do you know how VR works? That's a 2D screenshot of one eye from your flat screen. It doesn't look like that in VR even with one eye closed. Please stop putting out bad information. Thanks

I am just telling if it is the possibility of OP's problem.

Maybe you have overlooked my post

Perhaps you should read the post again?

He/she appears to be saying that images captured in VR may not appear the same as you might actually experience in VR. In which case, the two of you are saying exactly the same thing.

edit: i guess you can speak for yourself. :)

Edited by Greyman

OK, that image is not captured in VR. That is a screenshot from a 2D screen. I can't explain it any clearer than that. Images for VR are put through a barrel distortion warping process. Then the the lenses on the VR headset in combination with your bifocal vision means your brain interprets the image as 3 dimensional. It is in no way distorted.

VR does not look like that. Ever.

Dear Team,

I couldn't ignore that even when you zoomed in closely the HUD is shaped a bit like " V " . It is meant to be parallel so the pilot only sees two vertical " brackets holding the glass " not like a " V "shape as it is an optical illusion. It only looks " V " shaped on pictures and videos because of the nature of all wide-angle lenses. If you pay attention you can see also on those pictures that the horizon is curving too. A good example of that it's shaped like an " A " if the picture is taken from the other direction with a wide-angle lens.

And here taken a picture approximately with a 50mm focal length lens which is known to be producing a view closest to as human eyes see.

If you could guys fix this because it is very frustrating especially that we are staring at that thing for hours.

Dear Admins,

Thank you for the quickest easiest respond by " [CORRECT AS IS] " :cry: . Well, it is not correct! The 3D model could be correct but the camera in the cockpit shows us a picture as if it has an 18mm focal length producing this distorted perspective we are currently seeing. Proves it that even the ICP and the whole console is a bit "V" shaped due to the nature of wide-angle lenses.

I have posted multiple pictures proving it wich you guys simple ignore.

I understand that the majority of the users don't even understand what I am talking about since they don't know what is the proper perspective suppose to be like sitting in an F-16.

The fact is that you only should see the HUD brackets as two vertically perpendicular sticks hiding the minium of the view.

Please review the pictures or talk to a retired or active F-16 pilot.

As I paid for this module, I am asking you guys to fix this because THE CURRENT VIEW IS NOT MAKING ME FEEL SITTING IN AN F-16 COCKPIT!

f-16i20cockpit.jpg.8b27a5a5f12b6537d030275883e33c4a.jpg

J-016_pit.jpg.616c27bdf3f366c2f7b2646b8aac9633.jpg

780291726_straightHUD.thumb.jpg.643ce63e3ef3dd6a3d022383be1995b8.jpg

Those photos you included are taken from sitting much farther back in the cockpit. You can move the in game view back to match however not all information in the HUD will be visible as it’s designed to be viewed with both eyes rather than 1 camera.

i9 9900K, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3080

Valve Index, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM TPR Pedals

... THE CURRENT VIEW IS NOT MAKING ME FEEL SITTING IN AN F-16 COCKPIT!

It is not the view that makes you feel that way, it is the fact that you are not sitting in a real F-16 cockpit, looking at a flat monitor. The 3D model is correct as has been clearly demonstrated. Unless there is a way to replicate the exact camera settings inside DCS, it is not going to look like two parallel lines.

We all paid money for this, and most of us seem to be happy the way it is now. It doesn't make you wrong, but you have to acknowledge facts and not how it "feels".