Side slip fixed to the horizontal plane of the aircraft? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-13-2019, 06:16 AM   #1
Highwayman-Ed

Send a message via AIM to Highwayman-Ed
Default Side slip fixed to the horizontal plane of the aircraft?

I'm sure I'm not insane, but when flying in an orbit around a waypoint a few nights ago, there was a strong wind blowing from, let's say for simplicity's sake, the North.

As the aircraft flew level at 10,000ft and orbited in a counterclockwise direction, the aircraft turned through the North bearing and slowly turned toward the West. As it did, the side slip grew with the aircraft slipping to the left side as it should, as the aircraft continued the turn through the orbit to the South the slip decreased.

Then when the aircraft started turning toward the East, the aircraft started slipping to the right. This is exactly as expected, except the Ghost velocity vector was fixed to the horizontal plane of the actual velocity vector on the HUD. I assumed at first, I had it caged although I'm not even sure that's an option, but as I continued to orbit, I noticed that the aircraft was losing altitude with the wind blowing into its belly, and gaining altitude when the wind was blowing onto its top. Thus, even if it was caged, the changes in altitude reflected the ghost velocity vectors path on the hud and not that of the aircraft itself.

I continued orbiting for several circuits observing the same behaviour at various bank angles and saw the same behaviour with the Ghost moving along the horizontal (according to the aircraft, not horizon) plan of the velocity vector.

First thing you're going to ask for is a track file right? Sorry, 3 flights I did this and repeated the steps, then when replaying all 3 track files I was sat on the tarmac and the plane didn't move, but made all the right sounds

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro
32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM
Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Extreme
40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K
Pimax 5K XR / Oculus Rift CV1
Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker
Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

Highwayman-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
bkthunder

There is a bug about how the VVI and the GVVI (ghost VVI) are displayed on the hud, which was reported long ago and you can read about here:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=222417

This is what you have reported here, however, the losing/gaining altitude part points to something broader: wind has 0 aerodynamic effects on a flying aircraft, so it can not make you gain or lose altitude depending on where it's blowing from. If that is what happens in DCS Harrier it can mean two things:

1. You were on Autopilot, and the autopilot is using the wrong information from the VVI/GVVI (which is bugged)

2. The Harrier / DCS has something fundamentally broken in the FM/physics department
Old 06-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
SGT Coyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman-Ed View Post
First thing you're going to ask for is a track file right? Sorry, 3 flights I did this and repeated the steps, then when replaying all 3 track files I was sat on the tarmac and the plane didn't move, but made all the right sounds

That sounds like it's own bug report for DCS World.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:47 PM   #4
Highwayman-Ed

Send a message via AIM to Highwayman-Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Coyle View Post
That sounds like it's own bug report for DCS World.
It would be, but it only affects the Harrier this way, I fly several other modules fairly often too, and they do not exhibit this behaviour.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro
32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM
Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Extreme
40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K
Pimax 5K XR / Oculus Rift CV1
Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker
Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

Highwayman-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote