F-16 books/novels

Donut

If you like candid and explicit pictures of naked Vipers then I recommend " The Modern Viper Guide - F-16 C and D Exposed " :D

Then there's Basher Two Five, which is more of an E&E story really, but still very good.

A lot of the rest are mainly coffee table glossies with nice pictures but not a huge amount of substance

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

Maybe „Vipers in the storm“ and „Eye of the Viper“...

Regards / Grüße

Neo

-- Core i7 2600 @4,5 GHz | ASRock P67 Professional | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 2070 | SB X-Fi | 250 GB SSD + 1 GB SSD + 2 TB HD | WIN 10 Pro | TM Warthog | VPC WarBRD base | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip | WINWING F/A-18 H.O.T.A.S | MFG Crosswind | TIR5 | HELIOS --

Definitely Vipers in the Storm! :thumbup:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I bought Eye of the Viper for my Nook last night! Exactly what I was looking for! I will get Vipers in the Storm next. Thanks for the recommendations!

I had no idea that Boyd was so influential in the creation of the F-16...I will have to read his biography sometime.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Vipers in the Storm is by far the superior book, as is "Eye of the Viper", which is a book about F-16 flight training.

Viper Pilot is insufferable trash, lots of bullshit, lots of needless space filler.

Ordered the ..in the Storm. But I also liked Viper Pilot. I thought he gave a riveting view of what it's like to sit in the cockpit, how they communicated etc.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Yeah, Boyd's bio was a dry but super informative read. I loved it, some pretty funny anecdotes. I've been into aviation my whole life and I had never heard of him until I picked up that book at a thrift store.....I was pretty impressed with him, had no idea that he had pretty much steered USAF tactical aviation right to where it ended up by Gulf I, ensuring the USAF had the planes it needed to complete the mission sets presented after so many years of more or less planning for "the Big One" to come out of eastern Europe. An incredibly forward thinking individual.

I think my favorite story in the book is not about aviation though. Stormin' Norman presented his battle plan to the White House and it was another large scale, mass frontal assault, what Boyd had always called "hey diddle diddle, straight up the middle". Well, Donald R was one of Boyd's cronies back in the year, took one peek at the plan and threw it back at the Gen, telling him "nah, figure out a way to go around it all, the come back with THAT in your new plan". The plan executed by coalition forces was more or less a product of Boyd's battlefield thinking. Pretty impressive that it came from an aviator's influence, correctly assessing history and what could be changed to make modern assaults less costly for the good guys!!

Dan Hampton "Viper pilot"

Quite good.

+1

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

I never managed to finish Viper pilot. There's a limit to the amount of bullshit I can bear. Really terrible, the worst military book / biography I read, and I really read a bit of everything, some good, some not (still never as bad as that book): from Sakai to Gorrini to Rudel to more recent Macy, Franzak, Fick, Tootal just to name a few.

I can't believe I spent money on that thing.

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

Dan Hampton.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer audiobooks (Audible). The reader's dramatisation puts you in the cockpit! Viper Pilot is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/Viper-Pilot-Autobiography-Americas-Decorated/dp/B009KEZBME

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Yeah, Boyd's bio was a dry but super informative read. I loved it, some pretty funny anecdotes. I've been into aviation my whole life and I had never heard of him until I picked up that book at a thrift store.

If you enjoyed Boyd's bio here is an interview with the author

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/podcast-101-the-fighter-pilot-who-changed-the-art-of-war-with-robert-coram/

The Airforce hates Boyd and the Marines love him...

I7-7700K 4.5 GHz / RTX 2080 Ti / 32Gb RAM / 1Tb 850 Evo SSD / Win10 Pro / TM Warthog / Crosswind Pedals / Odyssey+

Pete Bonnanies Falcon 3.0 book was great on systems and tactics.

Though more then 20 years old, Falcon 3.0 guide Pete Bonnani was fantastic for systems and tactics. Just try not to mind the 1980's bushy mustache, and jock-strap attitude. But energy management in F-16C was excellent. Falcon 3.0 covered F-16C Block 30 as flown by Virginia ANG. Falcon 4.0 (not BMS) covered F-16C Block 42/50/50 CCIP.

T

Edited by DmitriKozlowsky

I'm too analog,

I would love to have a nice 400-500 pages hardcover DCS-Viper manual like the old Falcon 4.0 one.

"God doesn't give people talents that he doesn't want people to use. And he gave you The Touch. It's a power inside of you, down there where you keep your guts boy. It's all you need to blast your way in and get back what they took from you..." - Chappy Sinclair

I would love to have a nice 400-500 pages hardcover DCS-Viper manual like the old Falcon 4.0 one.

Me too! Now that would be some great reading! Hopefully ED can deliver us one...I am sure they will.

Great Chappy quote by the way!

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Vipers in the Storm is by far the superior book, as is "Eye of the Viper", which is a book about F-16 flight training.

Viper Pilot is insufferable trash, lots of bullshit, lots of needless space filler.

Vipers in the Storm would be much better if half the book wasn't filler. His first flight in Desert Storm isn't until half way through the book. You can literately skip the first half of the book and not miss anything.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-16 Fighting Falcon Units of Operation Iraqi Freedom

OSPREY Publishing COMBAT AIRCRAFT 61

Author: Doug Dildy, Steve Davies

Illustrator: Chris Davey

Short code: COM 61

Publication Date: 28 Feb 2006

ISBN: 9781841769943

Format: Paperback

Number of Pages: 96

Very good ... and also for me: Falcon 4.0 manual. I was lucky enough to have bought it back in 1998 and it is still a reference for those who want to know more about the Viper. By the way, this manual can be found in pdf format on the internet.