Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Hi folks,

With the last update I saw great improvements in image quality.

I use to have artifacts while taxiing on the wing edges as well as missile heads, it's all gone now!

I'm flying the M2K.

Not sure if it's thanks to DCS update or Oculus...

Are you seeing the same thing ?

Cheers

Aorus Z690i, 13600K @5.5ghz, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3600 C16, SSD WD SN850 black, HP Reverb G2, Virpil WarBRD + MongoosT50 CM2 grip

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well well well. I can see now. Steam gauges are much more legible, can tell how fast I'm going in the tomcat now. Hornet DDI's are a little better but still blurry. Spotting way way way better, I can pick some aircraft out at 10 miles.

I think the sweet spot lens-wise is much bigger than the CV1. I had to get my rift *just right* to see clearly, not so much at all with the S.

Frickin cable weighs a ton

Had to turn my PD down to 1.2 from 1.4 but that's fine, I can still see better

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Hi folks,

With the last update I saw great improvements in image quality.

I use to have artifacts while taxiing on the wing edges as well as missile heads, it's all gone now!

I'm flying the M2K.

Not sure if it's thanks to DCS update or Oculus...

Are you seeing the same thing ?

Cheers

Yes, something has seemed to happen over the last DCS or Oculus updates. The picture seems more "crisp" overall.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

I think the sweet spot lens-wise is much bigger than the CV1. I had to get my rift *just right* to see clearly, not so much at all with the S.

Definitely, the sweet spot is much larger :thumbup:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Definitely, the sweet spot is much larger :thumbup:

Maybe so, but only if you're lucky and have an IPD pretty close to the fixed IPD in the Rift S !

If not, the sweet spot is pretty crap..:sad_2:

System: Asus z270 A Prime, Intel i7-7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080, Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD.

Valve Index VR, TM Warthog Throttle & Grip, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 base, TM TPDR Rudders.

Maybe so, but only if you're lucky and have an IPD pretty close to the fixed IPD in the Rift S !

I’m lucky to be around 63-64mm :D

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

I’m lucky to be around 63-64mm :D

:spam_laser::cry_2:

:D

System: Asus z270 A Prime, Intel i7-7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080, Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD.

Valve Index VR, TM Warthog Throttle & Grip, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 base, TM TPDR Rudders.

I’m 67 or 68 myself. My Optometrist wrote out two prescriptions for me a few months ago. The IPD for my progressives is 68, and the one for my “computer gaming” glasses is 67. Go figure.

I just bought a Rift S today and set it up. I lost 5 FPS from my Rift CV1. Now down to 40 FPS, AND I’m running an I7-8700k at 5.0 GHz, 250 Gb NVME M.2, and a 1Tb SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3200 RAM, and an EVGA GTX1080Ti card. I haven’t been able to figure out why my VR FPS is so low when I run the same mission in 4K @t at least 90 FPS. Any thoughts or suggestions?

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

*Side Question* How do you get the sound to work? I have yet to figure it out. No matter what the settings I can't hear anything from the headset. :/

You can set the audio in the headset selection of the Rift settings screen to “Rift” or “Windows 10” as your default. You can also select your sound source in the audio selection of the Windows System tray. I actually use my Corsair Void Pro wireless headset and just put them over my Rift S headset.

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

I’m 67 or 68 myself. My Optometrist wrote out two prescriptions for me a few months ago. The IPD for my progressives is 68, and the one for my “computer gaming” glasses is 67. Go figure.

I just bought a Rift S today and set it up. I lost 5 FPS from my Rift CV1. Now down to 40 FPS, AND I’m running an I7-8700k at 5.0 GHz, 250 Gb NVME M.2, and a 1Tb SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3200 RAM, and an EVGA GTX1080Ti card. I haven’t been able to figure out why my VR FPS is so low when I run the same mission in 4K @t at least 90 FPS. Any thoughts or suggestions?

You didn’t really lost 5fps.

CV1 has refresh rate of 90Hz, Rift S has refresh rate of 80Hz.

When the FPS doesn’t reach the refresh rate, the system split the FPS in half and fill the missing frames with calculated frames to make the link. This is ASW (Asynchronous SpaceWarp)

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/asynchronous-spacewarp/

But in my experience, a solid 40fps is smooth.

VR is even more taxing than 4K because there are 2 différents view points to compute.

And VR came late in DCS World. At the beginning, DCS World hasn’t been created for VR. So we don’t have the best optimisation yet.

Mirage fanatic !

My eyes are so fubar... strabismus, nearsighted in one, farsighted in the other... it was actually really hard to see through the rift, had to twist it a little to one side and dial the IPD really low and even then that sucker was trying to make me blind. With the S its easy to get it close enough.

I feel for you guys with perfect vision, where "close enough" is just enough to irritate the daylights out of you. People like me are in a different boat. We have a hard time fusing images, but in our defense we get really good at sorting ambiguity. Get really good at using environmental cues to make up for the lack of stereoscopic vision, amazing the ability of the brain to "fill in the gaps" information-wise.

We don't really care if things line up -- that's kind of a lost cause -- and having even a slightly larger sweet spot really helps a lot. A real lot. It's just amazing to be able to slap an optical device on my head and have it just work, I mean, dang. Coulda knocked me over with a feather.

I don't mean to rant but I imagine there are people like me out there quietly wondering if the Rift S will make their eyeballs bleed or something... I'm here to tell you, go for it dude.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

While the Rift S has what could be considered a “fixed”IPD” between the lenses, you can set your IPD in the Rift S software. I use the RH controller for setup, so I press the almost flush button, diagonally across from the hat switch. It has the Oculus symbol. That brings up a window from which you can select your library and stuff. Use the controller pointer to select the “Settings” icon. Select the headset, and you’ll be able to set your IPD in the software. It replaces the hard adjustment that moved the lenses in the CV1.

You didn’t really lost 5fps.

CV1 has refresh rate of 90Hz, Rift S has refresh rate of 80Hz.

When the FPS doesn’t reach the refresh rate, the system split the FPS in half and fill the missing frames with calculated frames to make the link. This is ASW (Asynchronous SpaceWarp)

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/asynchronous-spacewarp/

But in my experience, a solid 40fps is smooth.

VR is even more taxing than 4K because there are 2 différents view points to compute.

And VR came late in DCS World. At the beginning, DCS World hasn’t been created for VR. So we don’t have the best optimisation yet.

Thank you for that explanation, it clears up a lot. Interestingly, I run OculusDebuggerTool and select OFF for the ASW when I’m playing IL-2. I’ll have to try it in DCS.

I do not have headphones but I'll wait to have rift s in my hands before go shopping for headphones. I'd like very much to use a premium headphones set in VR (I love corsair void pro rgb), but I have to do accurate measures on the HMD to be sure a headset like corsair's can be worn without issues. If it won't be possible, I'll go for some earphones (there are good quality ones on the market).

I’m very late to this game, but I just got the Rift S yesterday. I’m using my Corsair Void Pro wireless headphones with it. The infamous issue of the Corsair being unable to adjust down enough is a plus here. I place them over the top of my S headset, adjust them, and they’re as comfortable as when I’m wearing just the headphones.

I didn't try yet, but some people say these headphones are as good as CV1.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bionik-Mantis-Headphone-PlayStation-VR/dp/B0735X5M4X

It's designed for PSVR, but it seems to fit well on Rift S, you can look for review on YouTube.

Mirage fanatic !

I ditched the stock headphones for the Oculus CV1 headset after the second issue with the "dreaded" ribbon failure. I use the AirForce Thrustmaster headset. Great bit of kit, more volume potential than you could ever need. Crisp, clear, solid microphone and accessible adjustments for the microphone volume and a mute option. Reasonable price point as well.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I ditched the stock headphones for the Oculus CV1 headset after the second issue with the "dreaded" ribbon failure. I use the AirForce Thrustmaster headset. Great bit of kit, more volume potential than you could ever need. Crisp, clear, solid microphone and accessible adjustments for the microphone volume and a mute option. Reasonable price point as well.

Cheers,

Don

Yes CV1 headphones had connectivity issues. I had it too and I reverted to my Logitech G35.

Good headset too, but it doesn’t fit well over Rift S halo in my experience.

I don’t think the Thrustmaster headset would fit either.

But CV1 earphones quality was pretty good nonetheless.

Mirage fanatic !

I keep getting problems where it goes from working perfectly fine to not tracking properly anymore. Basically when I move the menu moves as well. I have a suspicion that it is my USB 3.0 port but no other port on my MB or PCI card will work at all. Tells me to update my USB 3.0 drivers. Also gives me an error that says my headset cant track my movement etc....

Apologies for not looking through every post in here, but I was hoping this is a quick fix and I am just missing something.

Rift S and Microphone

Been reading about different solutions for Rift S speakers including headphones, earbuds etc. If you use the jack to plug in earbuds or other headphone solutions do you lose your Rift S microphone? Haven't read too many people mentioning this so is the mic still usable with headphones or do you need to supply a mic as well.

Thanks

System: Asrock Extreme 4 MB l i7 7700K OC 5.0GHZ l EVGA GTX 1080ti l 32 GB Crucial DDR4 l Rift S l CH Fighter Stick l CH Pro throttle l CH Rudder Pedals l Modded Suncom SFS Throttle and Talon Stick l Toshiba 1TB HD l Crucial 1TB SSD

Been reading about different solutions for Rift S speakers including headphones, earbuds etc. If you use the jack to plug in earbuds or other headphone solutions do you lose your Rift S microphone? Haven't read too many people mentioning this so is the mic still usable with headphones or do you need to supply a mic as well.

Thanks

Mic still works with headphones plugged in.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I keep getting problems where it goes from working perfectly fine to not tracking properly anymore. Basically when I move the menu moves as well. I have a suspicion that it is my USB 3.0 port but no other port on my MB or PCI card will work at all. Tells me to update my USB 3.0 drivers. Also gives me an error that says my headset cant track my movement etc....

Apologies for not looking through every post in here, but I was hoping this is a quick fix and I am just missing something.

I had USB 3 driver update message, and tracking error message on launching of DCS. But I carried on and the headset is tracking fine.

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

That could be a Bamdwidth issur. A PCI-E USB 3.0 card could help with that greatly. Inateck makes a decent one with the only downside being all of the ports share a single Bus. Startech has one with 4 ports amd each port has its own Bus. It's between $80-$90 but should meet any/all USB 3.0 needs if you are lacking in the USB Bandwidth department.

Hope this helps. :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

Yes CV1 headphones had connectivity issues. I had it too and I reverted to my Logitech G35.

Good headset too, but it doesn’t fit well over Rift S halo in my experience.

I don’t think the Thrustmaster headset would fit either.

But CV1 earphones quality was pretty good nonetheless.

I use my old Sennheiser PX90 on-ear phones sometimes. Tad better than the CV1 phones and the price is right.

That could be a Bamdwidth issur. A PCI-E USB 3.0 card could help with that greatly. Inateck makes a decent one with the only downside being all of the ports share a single Bus. Startech has one with 4 ports amd each port has its own Bus. It's between $80-$90 but should meet any/all USB 3.0 needs if you are lacking in the USB Bandwidth department.

Hope this helps. :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply. I did buy a pci USB card with 5 usb 3.0 ports, but it gave me even more trouble for some reason. Black screen and 3 loading dots among other errors.

I am thinking about getting a GTX 2080ti and use that USB-C port.... any feedback on that?

I had USB 3 driver update message, and tracking error message on launching of DCS. But I carried on and the headset is tracking fine.

These where false warnings in the PTC branch for a awhile.

The latest Oculus beta should have removed it.

The USB update error came when I updated win 10 to 1903 feature update.

This update also caused my inateck card to stop working with the S.

But my regular 3.0 port on my mobo works fine.

The 3.1 port on the other hand introduced a display glitch on had movement.

And the "headset unable to track itself" I think was introduced with the ptc update that vid the white flashes.

As for the 2080ti, that would depend a bit of what you are running for the rest of the system.

The S can be rather tricky.

I find even sometimes different ports, even though they are contented to the same control chip I got variable nose or connection issues

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.