DCS standalone to steam

SkipCarey

Im strongly considering the index but Ive invested quite a bit of money on all the maps are these transferrable to steam? without repurchase? Ive noticed steam see my DCS install so im assuming the maps will be in there but before I buy the index.any help is appreciated...…..

... are these transferrable to steam?

No, unfortunately.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

This is not an issue because you can still play DCS using SteamVR without having the Steam version of DCS.

You just need to download and install SteamVR (if you don't already have it). Then before launching DCS, have SteamVR running. Now launch DCS (with the VR options you want enabled) and it will work.

This is how everyone without an Oculus that owns the non-Steam version of DCS have been doing it for over 2 years now.

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

While we and talking about about SteamVR. New to steam, but will need it for my Pimax and upcoming Reverb.

Can I just install SteamVR. Or, do have have to install

"Steam" first then steam VR is a add on module? How does this work? I cant find just staem VR alone?

You need steam for steamvr

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

While we and talking about about SteamVR. New to steam, but will need it for my Pimax and upcoming Reverb.

Can I just install SteamVR. Or, do have have to install

"Steam" first then steam VR is a add on module? How does this work? I cant find just staem VR alone?

Yeah, you do need both. SteamVR is available an option under Steam's Tools menu.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

This is not an issue because you can still play DCS using SteamVR without having the Steam version of DCS.

You just need to download and install SteamVR (if you don't already have it). Then before launching DCS, have SteamVR running. Now launch DCS (with the VR options you want enabled) and it will work.

This is how everyone without an Oculus that owns the non-Steam version of DCS have been doing it for over 2 years now.

It quite clearly states in the ED store standalone modules are NOT compatible with steam But im wondering/thinking the maps should not be an issue?

It quite clearly states in the ED store standalone modules are NOT compatible with steam But im wondering/thinking the maps should not be an issue?

SteamVR, is installed within Steam, however it is merely the VR wrapper (or API if you will) used to run VR games on any non-Oculus based device. You are confusing game versions (steam or non-steam) with VR subsystem (Oculus or SteamVR).

From all that I have read and seen by people playing with many different VR headsets, it doesn't matter if the module supports steam or not. You aren't playing it within Steam, you are just using the SteamVR program to initialize your VR headset.

So, you would need to install Steam, then install SteamVR.

Then you can launch SteamVR, which would activate your VR headset, then launch DCS (making sure that you have VR enabled in the settings).

If you want, you can even add DCS to your library of Steam games because Steam allows you to add any program as a "Non-Steam" game.

If you want to make this even easier, just install Skatezillas DCS Updater utility and click the VR/On button to always launch DCS with the VR flag enabled. You will still need to have SteamVR installed.

The messages about DCS modules not being compatible with the Steam version of DCS are talking about an issue where you buy the game from within Steam and then buy a module outside of steam on the ED storefront. Put simply, Steam has its own way of updating programs and licensing and for DCS it doesn't like you mixing and matching modules purchased from two different storefronts.

However, that is all separate from SteamVR.

Here are some threads that also confirm how this works:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/0/133261370010899514

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223013

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=195359

Edited by Madmatt_BFC

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Yes you will need steamvr.

Which will require steam.

But as has been mentioned, you do not need the steam version of the game for use with either of the main VR headsets.

Just starting DCS should launch the appropriate service be it steamvr or Oculus.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.