Momentary Speed-Brake?

Lixma 06

I have no memory of this behavior, optional or otherwise. It's certainly not realistic. It could be created with some LUA editing of the control bindings though.

The real switch is 3-position: close, hold, and open. The open position is spring-loaded to return to hold when released.

It may was useful but not realistic. The A-10 uses the speedbrake switch with two positions. One for opening and one for closing. It's really no biggie to push that switch forward a notch to close them brakes.

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

Shame, it was really useful.

Why do you think so?

More often than not I'll want maybe 20% or 40% brake for a certain amount of time. It's pretty rare that I extend the brake just a notch and then close it in an instant, for instance when joining a formation with some excess speed - and then the RL functionality of the switch is just fine IMO.

sounds like bad habits to me. a-10 is already draggy enough as it is so it decelerates fine. learn to anticipate accelerations and decelerations with the throttle, airbraking for formation flying means you're wasting gas fighting hamfisted throttle management.

Edited by probad

It was dead easy to trim your speed. Just like the brakes in a car, being able to lightly dab on the A-10's brake 'pedal' was perfect for landing or refuelling. Plus you never had to worry about forgetting about retracting them.

Different styles, I guess. :thumbup:

Depending on your stick, your HOTAS software might be able to achieve exactly what you're looking for. Basically, it's something like:

Button X push: Keep opening speedbrakes while button pushed/depressed

Button X release: Keep closing speedbrakes until fully closed, unless button X pushed again

But I'm not sure how one would detect the fully closed state, and I'm also not aware of any keyboard or HOTAS command to fully close the brakes. But sending the "retract brakes" command all the time would probably be pretty bad in terms of efficiency, and might cause all sorts of problems with input handling in DCS or even Windows. A timer might work, like "keep closing speedbrakes for 5 seconds, then stop sending this command".

Seems like it's not an entirely trivial task.

Okay, that means you could use TARGET to program the throttle.

Looking at the documentation, it seems like the task is actually achievable when using a TARGET script; no clue if the UI could do this as well.

Here's what I'd probably use:

- Generating an event when releasing a button with MapKeyR ("R" as in "Release")

- CHAIN function: Generating events at the same time

- D() Delay command

The idea would be to map a command to key release, to then chain several commands to this event, of which the first would be generating a continuous "HOTAS Speedbrake close" and a delayed second command would stop generating this "HOTAS Speedbrake close" event.

I don't know if this works, and implementing it could take something from 5 minutes to 20 hours, and I don't event know if you like the idea of programming your throttle with the TARGET script editor. But it's what I'd try if I wanted to achieve what you're looking for. ;)