Perfect stick for A-10C from Thrustmaster?

The stick does not move... at all. Its fixed in position and control surface defelction is proportional to force applied. This is how the controls work on the F-16 and I am sure a few of the more modern FBW fighters out there.

This just does not work for WW2 sims, at all, where concious awareness of control stick position is soo much a part of flying the aircraft. Try it and you will know what I mean.

I don't agree. In a real aircraft, of course; but in front of your PC flying a simulator it doesn't really matter whether you move your joystick in order to steer the airplane on screen or you have a rigid stick with force sensing to steer the airplane on screen. That's just a matter of getting used to.

You're always missing actual sensory feedback from the airplane itself like you would get when you were flying the real aircraft anyway.

Immersion, however, it totally different. I can see how it would not be realistic to use a force sensing stick if you're into realism and immersion, but thats a different story.

I fly a 737NG for a living and while it is a modern plane it still has rods and wires from the control wheel to the flight controls.

Feedback from the aircraft is a big factor to the pilot in controlling the aircraft, however in MSFS I can control the 737 with any controller just fine, wether it be a gamepad, joystick or yoke. It just takes practise to learn the inputs from the controller and get used to the picture you get with those on your monitor when you control the virtual airplane.

In the actual aircraft, however, it would be very awkward to go to a stick instead of a control wheel (yoke) without changing the aircraft to fly-by-wire. You see what I mean?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F-16 stick does move, I have tried it myself.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Pilotasso is right.

The F-16 stick moves LITTLE, but it's not static. From what I've heard, it didn't moved initially, but pilots complained about it, and some modification was made so it could move a bit (if it's wrong, please correct me.)

For a computer game, it's hard to believe that it "doesn't work" in other games. It's just a matter of getting used to it. You won't die if you crash because of your force-sensitive stick during the first days, so you can get used to it in trial-and-error. In real life, you can't press Esc and hit "RCVR".

The F-16 stock has 1/8th inch of movement, and every modern FBW jet stick I've seen has around the same limited movement.

The Saitek stick also has some movement, 1/4 inch IIRC from a post further up this thread.

As for FS stick being useless for WWII aircraft (or anything but F-16s for that matter), utter rubbish. YOU may not like/be able to fly said sims without a stick that moves (although I have no idea how you can say that until you've tried it), but not only can others do it quite happily some of us actually prefer it.

Force sensing sticks give you such sensitive control it's amazing, you almost become part of the sim/aircraft. Now obviously I've not yet used the Saitek offering, merely a TM Cougar + FSSB mod, and going back to using a normal stick is horrible.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Got G940 That saitek X65F is going to be part of my collection. Some people collect stamps, I collect HOTAS :D

My PC specs below:

Got G940 That saitek X65F is going to be part of my collection. Some people collect stamps, I collect HOTAS :D

You say it like it's a bad thing ;)

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I want that kind of money :cry:

He doesn't have any money, it's all been spent on HOTAS :D

Spoiler

As for FS stick being useless for WWII aircraft (or anything but F-16s for that matter), utter rubbish. YOU may not like/be able to fly said sims without a stick that moves (although I have no idea how you can say that until you've tried it), but not only can others do it quite happily some of us actually prefer it.

Force sensing sticks give you such sensitive control it's amazing, you almost become part of the sim/aircraft. Now obviously I've not yet used the Saitek offering, merely a TM Cougar + FSSB mod, and going back to using a normal stick is horrible.

Absolutley. Saying FS sticks are useless for WW2 plane SIM control is really quite stupid. FS is by far and away the most precise, consistent and reliable input method. If you dont like it..dont use it. If you dont think it is AUTHENTIC...fair enough....but once used to it youll be amazed how much better your flying and gunnery have become.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

At the moment, I'm still holding fire on my next HOTAS choice. The X65 is thus far the most appealing, but until I've seen at least some confirmed details of the TM offering I'm not going to be making my final choice.

Spoiler

At the moment, I'm still holding fire on my next HOTAS choice. The X65 is thus far the most appealing, but until I've seen at least some confirmed details of the TM offering I'm not going to be making my final choice.

Same here, but a little voice in the back of my head tells me that honest durability reports of TMs offering might very well come far later than the release of Saitek's new offering... :joystick:

Choices... and patience... :helpsmilie:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

You say it like it's a bad thing ;)

I want that kind of money :cry:

Im am not rich, infact in all likelyhood you must earn at least 2 to 3 times as much as I do (that is if your working).

If I get new GF and get married (too young to disgrace myself just yet) Ill be on bread and water. :lol: This is Portugal my firend, the most backwards country in europe in economic terms. :D

He doesn't have any money, it's all been spent on HOTAS :D

And I skipped the cougar and its mods, that alone left me with enough savings for 3 or 4 more HOTAS:D

Edited by Pilotasso

My PC specs below:

And I skipped the cougar and its mods, that alone left me with enough savings for 3 or 4 more HOTAS:D

That made my day! :thumbup::joystick::helpsmilie::doh:

:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Having both a Cougar with the FCC mod and a CH combat stick, I do have the experience to comment, else I wouldn't. Thank you very much.

dont fear for the US economy. An I-phone costs bout 70 buck in the US and over here it costs 10 times that much. You think the 300$ to 300 euros direct converion price of the G940 is a rip off? US economy is on a good path to recovery with such deals :D

My PC specs below:

Having both a Cougar with the FCC mod and a CH combat stick, I do have the experience to comment, else I wouldn't. Thank you very much.

Well then why make such a generalised, sweeping and negative statement? And, you're welcome :D

$567 into my cougar, and that was when the US dollar was worth more than toilet paper. Rather embarrasing, really, but still a nice setup for its intent.

Indeed. That's one of the reasons I'm drawn toward the Saitek despite the pending offering from TM. Although I am trying really, really hard to resist the urge to pre-order the X65 until we hear something solid from TM.

Especially given their past record of build quality with the Cougar. I got rid of mine god knows how long ago in favour of the X52, which although has fewer buttons and less programmability just works without fear of switches etc giving up at random.

Edited by Eddie

Spoiler

Holy ****! Did anyone else notice the engine switches on the throttle base right where they would be in the real jet.

Spoiler

Holy ****! Did anyone else notice the engine switches on the throttle base right where they would be in the real jet.

Kinda the point of a replica, is it not? ;)

• Like 1

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Kinda the point of a replica, is it not? ;)

Indeed it is, but they've not gone that far before. I've got wood!

• Like 1

Spoiler