VR DCS is better optimized for Win7 than Win10

mytai01

After several experiments with using CV1 & Rift S in both Win7 & Win10. It is obvious that DCS performs better in Windows 7. Something about Win10 is dragging performance down the toilet in VR. They're equal on a monitor, but not in VR...

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

After several experiments with using CV1 & Rift S in both Win7 & Win10. It is obvious that DCS performs better in Windows 7. Something about Win10 is dragging performance down the toilet in VR. They're equal on a monitor, but not in VR...

interesting; would You be so kind and show us screenshots of CPU (per core) and GPU utilization in both cases?

i7-7820X@4.5Ghz; GPU 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, HP Reverb G2; VKB Ultimate stick; VIRPIL Throttle; Slaw Pedals; custom AX&BTN BOX

What is your "performance" evaluation?

Windows 7 doesn't support the Oculus Asynchronous Spacewarp, meaning you will not see the smoothing effects, but you will have lower frame rate.

And visually looking a Asynchronous Spacewarp disabled can give a illusion that all runs better, as brain can start to fill missing frames since 15 FPS and up.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

interesting; would You be so kind and show us screenshots of CPU (per core) and GPU utilization in both cases?

Screen shots don't show anything. You have to see it in the headset while playing...

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

I've checked frame rates on Win7pro x64 vs Win10pro x64 using the same settings. Win10 is about 1 or two frames slower, but the main difference is that moving visuals distort in Win10. This effect isn't in Win7 at all...

Edited by mytai01

Windows 7 does NOT show distortion, but Windows 10 does...

Windows 7 does NOT show distortion, but Windows 10 does...

And I have told you why, several times now.

ASW does not work in Win7.

ASW is auto enabled in Win10 when FPS fall below 90.

ASW introduces distortions.

You can turn ASW off, if you like.

I've checked frame rates on Win7pro x64 vs Win10pro x64 using the same settings. Win10 is about 1 or two frames slower, but the main difference is that moving visuals distort in Win10. This effect isn't in Win7 at all...

Cause Win7 dosent support ASW

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

And I have told you why, several times now.

ASW does not work in Win7.

ASW is auto enabled in Win10 when FPS fall below 90.

ASW introduces distortions.

You can turn ASW off, if you like.

OK, I finally seen evidence in Windows 10 that what you described works. Sorry for giving you a hard time. Oculus should put text that indicates that a change has indeed occured. Thanks!

Edited by mytai01

Right... Rift doesn't run on Windows 7. The software refuses to run. Minimum requirements say Windows 10. You might get the CV1 to run on Windows 7... but the Rift S? nope.

Right... Rift doesn't run on Windows 7. The software refuses to run. Minimum requirements say Windows 10. You might get the CV1 to run on Windows 7... but the Rift S? nope.

I believe that was done to help MS get people to switch to Windows 10, I had my CV1 before I had all the hardware required to meet the minimum requirements and it ran just fine...So, I believe that the Rift S is being prevented from running on Win7 not because it can't, but rather because they don't want it to...It's being actively blocked from running in much the same way the App checks if you have some KB installed and won't start if it doesn't but you can block that check and force it to run anyway...;) I know it's a conspiracy theory, but I believe it's true...Too many other software and hardware run just fine in Win7 and Win10 that it's can't be legit...

Edited by mytai01

I believe that was done to help MS get people to switch to Windows 10, I had my CV1 before I had all the hardware required to meet the minimum requirements and it ran just fine...So, I believe that the Rift S is being prevented from running on Win7 not because it can't, but rather because they don't want it to...It's being actively blocked from running in much the same way the App checks if you have some KB installed and won't start if it doesn't but you can block that check and force it to run anyway...;) I know it's a conspiracy theory, but I believe it's true...Too many other software and hardware run just fine in Win7 and Win10 that it's can't be legit...

I never said the hardware was incapable of running on Win 7. But if Oculus wont' allow the software that is required to use the headset to run on Windows 7.. you can't use it on Windows 7.