DCS WWII Map Discussion

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest from the little I'm understanding and I very much doubt I have it right, it either feels like we're being conned to buying the same thing twice, or we were conned buying Normandy for essentially the same thing to be released free, or, it's so small it's going to be worthless.

Get a grip on reality...

Conned ?

Showing you images of what appears to be a very nicely done map and saying "you can buy this if you want" is conning you ?

Have you no self control & find yourself forced to simply buy whatever is placed in front of you ?

I can't see that's a problem of E.D.'s making...

If it has nothing to offer you, show some self restraint and don't buy it.

I like the look of it and the stated area better than the Normandy map, and expect I will get it to fly the Mossie over.

What time frame is this map supposed to be anyway? We already have the date anathema with the Normandy map and the planeset we have. It couldn't have been less incongruous at this point to have had a Nazi moon base map.

As with all the DCS maps, whatever timeframe you chose to set in the ME.

It's intended as a sandbox, not a history lesson.

Cheers.

Was I the only one under the impression that the new map would be free? Now the newsletter mentions a preorder. Probably a misunderstanding from my part, I’ll preorder on day 1, although I wish it would cover a larger area for USAAF operations. The screens look amazing though, looking forward to it.

Hello,

I was also in the same thinking, but it was not clear. I started to have doubt on it since comments about the free Marianna map “adapted” also for ww2.

I do agree with you, hoping that in holland the map will be detailed far East.

Belly

Bf 109 K-4 / Fw 190 A-8 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P51-D / Normandy 1944 map + ww2 assets pack

I am curious, why ED chose to pick up this area for the map since does not fit the plane set we currently have again.

We don't ?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I am curious, why ED chose to pick up this area for the map since does not fit the plane set we currently have again. This was a complaint people had with Normandy already. A Belgium /

Northwest Germany map would have made much more sense.

I'm guessing it's about the sea area, so all assets can be used on it.

it would be nice to see a screenshot of the intended battle area, it doesn't need much of England just the SE corner, the Channel and mostly French point eastwards.

I think if it includes Belgium / Holland and maybe a little Rhineland it can open up the possibility of a flyable B17 for daylight bombing missions. If not P47D and Mossie flyers can do all sorts of attack missions. With the A20G / JU88 / C47A as AI additions mission makers can really get to work.

As for paying for something twice building a map with accurate cities / towns / villages across an area so vast would take years, for the effort involved much more expensive to the user.

I'm hopeful for a multiplayer environment that will incorporate a rotation of this new channel map / normandy / marianas.

I pray there is a release of aircraft suitable for a Battle of Britain scenario in the future, the map would be perfect.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

• ED Team
To be honest from the little I'm understanding and I very much doubt I have it right, it either feels like we're being conned to buying the same thing twice, or we were conned buying Normandy for essentially the same thing to be released free, or, it's so small it's going to be worthless.

What time frame is this map supposed to be anyway? We already have the date anathema with the Normandy map and the planeset we have. It couldn't have been less incongruous at this point to have had a Nazi moon base map.

There will be some overlap of low detail area on the edges of the new Channel terrain with Normandy, however the locations of the detail areas are very different.

If it is not your cup of tea we understand, however we think it will give our WWII customers a lot of scope for gameplay.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I am curious, why ED chose to pick up this area for the map since does not fit the plane set we currently have again. This was a complaint people had with Normandy already. A Belgium /

Northwest Germany map would have made much more sense.

I'm guessing it's about the sea area, so all assets can be used on it.

Just include some of the North Sea. The map should fit the aircraft.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

There will be some overlap of low detail area on the edges of the new Channel terrain with Normandy, however the locations of the detail areas are very different.
Do we know if we'll be able to play both in a single mission Bignewy, like starting in one to finish in the other one?

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

it would be nice to see a screenshot of the intended battle area.

Here’s a good video with what you’re asking for. The author plots the known airfields and overlays it with other known information and plots out a rough square of what he thinks the area of the map will cover. Should be fairly close to what we see when released.

• ED Team
Do we know if we'll be able to play both in a single mission Bignewy, like starting in one to finish in the other one?

S!

Hi Ala13_ManOWar

No they are separate maps created by different parties.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Sure, but I can't fathom why we're getting a Dover map. Sorry for being ungrateful, but come on.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Sure, but I can't fathom why we're getting a Dover map. Sorry for being ungrateful, but come on.

You mean other than Prince of Wales pier and Swingate (for the Radar towers) both of which were major targets during the war...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

True, but the Dora and especially the K4 didn't saw combat there.

Gesendet von meinem ANE-LX1 mit Tapatalk

so you can work it out, it's just not relevant for the two planes you mention, and you couldn't possibly imagine a hypothetical scenario where you could use the K or a Dora as a substitute...

Get a grip on reality...

Conned ?

Showing you images of what appears to be a very nicely done map and saying "you can buy this if you want" is conning you ?

Have you no self control & find yourself forced to simply buy whatever is placed in front of you ?

I can't see that's a problem of E.D.'s making...

If it has nothing to offer you, show some self restraint and don't buy it.

I like the look of it and the stated area better than the Normandy map, and expect I will get it to fly the Mossie over.

My grip on reality is fine thanks. Sure, caveat emptor applies. And for the record I won't be buying anything from ED until they fix the modules I've already paid for and which are either buggy or incomplete. So yeah, my self control is just fine too. At present my usage of the Normandy map and the Assets pack probably is around a max of 10 hrs. Not good value for money. Now I know others love it and thats great for them. I'm not advocating anyone else boycott or that they are wrong to enjoy it. What that they like or don't is entirely up to them.

I believe however I'm entitled to an opinion, even if it differs from yours. And I'm allowed to state that opinion. A cliffs of dover - french point map is useful for one thing only, dogfighting. Which with the completely mismatched planeset we currently have is, well baffling. But if that's what floats your boat then have at it, personally I'm looking for something that is a bit more immersive and involved. YMMV and that's good.

As with all the DCS maps, whatever timeframe you chose to set in the ME.

It's intended as a sandbox, not a history lesson.

Um, no. Setting the date in the ME is not the same. For example, would you have accepted the Spit IX with a GPS receiver in it, because the aircraft has one in now? I doubt it. Most want the aircraft historically accurate. It's the same with the map for me. The ALG present on the map very clearly set the period that map exists in. Sure I can suspend my disbelief and fly over the map in a make believe D_Day scenario, ignoring the fact that there are whopping great airfields all over that shouldn't exist. But they do.

so you can work it out, it's just not relevant for the two planes you mention, and you couldn't possibly imagine a hypothetical scenario where you could use the K or a Dora as a substitute...

Of course, I can. Everybody can. But for WW2 this is not necessary. We know from numerous reports how and where these airframes got deployed. The other sim currently has the majority of the WW2 community hocked despite being an inferior sim. Apart from the dm, which is being reworked in DCS anyway, the dealbreaker for these guys is the map and a channel scenario does not address this. And they won't buy the "sandbox" argument either. A sandbox could also be made with the Rhineland where outside of the I16 all current WW2 aircraft would have a place.

Yeah... this is fine for me too.. Not sure how people get worked up over a less than exact area to fly missions in.

Makes no sense to me.

I mean... you aren't flying a plane even.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

would I... it depends on where it was :)… for clarity, I almost never fly red-air these days, and I dont fly online, so I am grateful for a terrain that I can fly in, I will either like it and buy it or I wont … I have the Normandy map and I am not going to rehearse its issues here, but, one of the most pressing ones (for me), was essentially it was geared at supporting D-day, this map has greater utility and hopefully four season support, its historically accurate for the planes I fly, and looks very pretty ... it enables me to recreate some brilliant moments of WWII , and gives me some scope to do some "what if" stuff as well …

Also FWIW it's not as if the MX IX/P-51D/MkIV (that we have) and the 109K-4 (nor the 190D-9) were contemporaneous to begin with...

Edited by speed-of-heat