Perfect stick for A-10C from Thrustmaster?

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No much info, but look at the ad on the main site:

http://www.thrustmaster.com/

Guaranteed sale right here :D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Hmmm... I suppose it's too much to hope that it would be an FFB (done right) stick.

Still, with the MFD (button rings) and this, it looks like TM is serious about competing. Always a good thing! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

This is almost too good to be true. Guys, we have an all out sim-rebirth!

DCS series was tugging along and is looking to be better by the day, and now three nice fellows join in. amagad.

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

Wow, this sounds very promising! :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing!

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Hmmm... I suppose it's too much to hope that it would be an FFB (done right) stick.

Still, with the MFD (button rings) and this, it looks like TM is serious about competing. Always a good thing! :thumbup:

A-10 doesnt use FFB does it? I thought it was a more conventional stick.

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart

Who knows? :dunno:

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

A clarification may be in order. I was talking about Force Feedback (ala Logitech G940 / MS Sidewinder FFB2 / Saitek Evo Force) as opposed to Force Sensing (ala Saitek's upcoming X65F / FSSB modded TM Cougar).

I wouldn't expect a real A-10 to use FFB in its stick, as FFB is something used in game/sim controllers. For DCS:BS, FFB is useful for holding the trimmed position of the cyclic (and could be used on rudder pedals, too). I don't know enough about how the A-10C's trim works. If it is similar to the Black Shark's trim, then a properly implemented FFB would be nice to have in Thrustmaster's upcoming controller. I'm not going to be holding my breath over it. ( Though I imagine some folks wish I would! ;) ).

As far as I know, the real A-10C's stick is not Force Sensing either. It is a center mounted stick. AFAIK, the Force Sensing (tensiometric) is only used on side mounted sticks (F-16 / F-22 / F-35).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FFB in a matter of sense is also used in real aircraft. With fly-by-wire systems and other means of computerized controls, it's vital to give pilots some feeling back, what they are currently doing. I don't know if the A-10 uses this, but other planes do.

ahh yeah get those 2 terms mixed up a lot. I really doubt TMs new stick will have FFB. But I was wondering if the real plane had FSSB. I didnt think so but I was trying to decide whether to mod my stick with FSSB or hall sensors. Either way with the new news of A-10 stick I might just install industrial grade pots into my current stick since it would be far cheaper than modding it. If A-10 does use FSSB I will get that mod but from pictures it doesnt appear that it uses that.

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart

FFB in a matter of sense is also used in real aircraft. With fly-by-wire systems and other means of computerized controls, it's vital to give pilots some feeling back, what they are currently doing. I don't know if the A-10 uses this, but other planes do.

You have any examples of this? It's not something I've ever come across, and I really can't workout what it possible use could be, what on earth do you mean my feedback?

Like most other (western at least) aircraft based on what I've read in the flight manual there is no physical link between the stick and controls in the A-10C. While it does have mechanical controls as opposed to the FBW systems in more modern jets, it's all hydrualic actuators that provide no direct feedback to the pilot. I have no direct experiance with the A-10, but I can't see it being any different to the a/c I have worked with.

As far as I know, the real A-10C's stick is not Force Sensing either. It is a center mounted stick. AFAIK, the Force Sensing (tensiometric) is only used on side mounted sticks (F-16 / F-22 / F-35).

It's a mechanical system, only FBW a/c have force sensing controls due to the nature of how it works. Not just side mounted sticks though, the Typhoon has a centrally mounted stick and uses a force sensor system much like the F-16. It does have some movement (as do most) but only a very tiny amount.

Edited by Eddie

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

It's a mechanical system, only FBW a/c have force sensing controls due to the nature of how it works. Not just side mounted sticks though, the Typhoon has a centrally mounted stick and uses a force sensor system much like the F-16. It does have some movement (as do most) but only a very tiny amount.

Ah, good to know! Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FFB?

Can imagine the Lawsuites when one Funny Bugger cranks the settings and tweaks the motors, not knowing what $hitestorm awaits him when he pulls the Trigger on that GAU -8/A..........:music_whistling:

If the Real thing halts the momentum of the Hawg on the way down, imagine what it will do to a Limp-Wristed Wannabee Aviator just new to the SIM :pain:

'Yeah Yeah I know the above is written with a Lot of Artistic Licence, but the mere thought is as Funny as F*#k' :megalol:

• Like 1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

You have any examples of this? It's not something I've ever come across, and I really can't workout what it possible use could be, what on earth do you mean my feedback?

Like most other (western at least) aircraft based on what I've read in the flight manual there is no physical link between the stick and controls in the A-10C. While it does have mechanical controls as opposed to the FBW systems in more modern jets, it's all hydrualic actuators that provide no direct feedback to the pilot. I have no direct experiance with the A-10, but I can't see it being any different to the a/c I have worked with.

From wikipedia:

With hydromechanical flight control systems however, the load on the surfaces cannot be felt and there is a risk of overstressing the aircraft through excessive control surface movement. To overcome this problem artificial feel systems are used; for example: with the controls of the Avro Vulcan jet bomber, the requisite force feedback was achieved by a spring device. The fulcrum of the device was moved in proportion to the square of the airspeed (for the elevators) to give increased resistance at higher speeds. In the controls of the Vought Crusader and Corsair II, a "bob-weight" was used in the pitch axis of the control stick, giving a force feedback proportional to the aircraft's normal acceleration.

SNIP

Ahhh, you're talking increased resistance, I know what you mean now. Thought you were on about stuff like the control vibration they have on civi jets for anti-stall etc.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

From wikipedia:

;)

Was just about to post the same.

A similar system is used for many civil airliners.

@ Eddie:

The other features of FFB like gunshake, stall and compression are probably not needed to be "simulated" in a real aicraft ;)

You got the original manual of the A-10C? Do you have a link for D/L? :)

Edited by Feuerfalke

@ Eddie:

The other features of FFB like gunshake, stall and compression are probably not needed to be "simulated" in a real aicraft ;)

You'd be suprised ;).

TBH, not being remotely interested in prop sims, FFB has never even slightly appealed to me and I have to confess I don't really know how it works in sims. Not something I'd ever touch either, I'll stick to Force Sensors and/or Hall sensors ta.

You got the original manual of the A-10C? Do you have a link for D/L? :)

Nope, just the A-10A, ignoring the AV upgrades pretty much everything releating to mechanical systems still applies (with a couple of exceptions/modded systems) as I have no doubt you are aware.

I do have a few other more modern flight manuals for other a/c, but they're not for public distribution I'm afraid. Maybe in a few years time.

Spoiler

A stick can use hall sensors and still have FFB.;)

Indeed it can, but the inclusion of FFB means I wouldn't touch it with someone else's barge pole.

Spoiler