RB-04 Hopping

Zabuzard

Did anyone notice yet that the RB-04 (anti-ship missiles) actually hop over ships in group mode?

Just realized this as I flew the mini campaign where I used them against multiple ships for the first time:

I mean, just take a look at those trails, it's hilarious :lol: It actually makes sense but I never thought about it before.

H02UccS.jpg

Edited by Zabuza

Isn't this the so called terminal popup maneuver? :D

In the final seconds before striking the ship, some anti-ship missiles engage in sudden pop-up maneuvers, or similar juking patterns, in order to confuse ship defenses. The Harpoon pops up and then dives into the ship. The Penguin, Norwegian Naval Strike Missile, and LRASM have similar features.

https://www.quora.com/What-do-anti-ship-missiles-do-differently-from-other-missiles

:P

Edit: Actually, after watching the video a second time and paying closer attention, it does indeed look like they are performing the terminal pop up maneuver. My comment was supposed to be a joke first, because I thought it's a single missile that is hopping over ships, but now I see that these are multiple missiles, performing a single popup maneuver each.

Are they doing this only in group mode?

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I assume those are Rb-04 (for AI) fired by AI airplanes? If so they do that because that’s the standard behavior of anti-ship missiles in DCS. Rb04 fired by a player airplane won’t do that because it has custom behavior, it would work as the real Rb04 then.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

I assume those are Rb-04 (for AI) fired by AI airplanes? If so they do that because that’s the standard behavior of anti-ship missiles in DCS. Rb04 fired by a player airplane won’t do that because it has custom behavior, it would work as the real Rb04 then.

Makes sense, thanks! The RB-04 did not have this feature IRL AFAIK, but what about the RBS-15? Is it really making horizontal terminal maneuvers IRL?

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Is there not a way to control or code the same behavior of human RB-04 missiles for the AI? I mean having terminal popup maneuver in the regular ones would make it cool as well, it did confuse me at first.

Changing the behaviour of AI missiles is something that has to be done by ED themselves I presume.

Tornado3 small.jpg

From here:

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/rbs15-mk3-surface-to-surface-missile-ssm/

RBS15 Mk3 guidance system

The RBS15 guidance and control system includes an inertial navigation system and a GPS receiver, a radar altimeter and a Ku-band radar target seeker. The RBS15 missiles are resistant of enemy countermeasures. Two or more missiles can be programmed to hit the target simultaneously from various directions to better penetrate the air defences of warships.

The missile features low radar cross section and IR signature. It has sophisticated target discrimination and selection capabilities. It is extremely resistant to chaff, active jammers, decoys and other electronic countermeasures (ECM).

The RBS15 Mk3 is a low sea-skimming missile performing unpredictable evasive manoeuvres. The missile increases its thrust in the terminal phase to defeat missiles, guns and close-in weapon systems (CIWS). The missile engagement planning system (MEPS) provides advanced user interface for generating plans for different scenarios.

Thanks guys, that's good to know.

Tornado3 small.jpg