RIO Workload, as real sac it gets?

Lt.Seahawk

Cobra, thanks for being so active here lately and Merry Christmas to the whole team!

Is the manual going to cover everything a RIO needs to know for his Backseater job? I was trying to update my knowledge with stuff on the internet but there’s barely anything to read through regarding the AWG-9 and other stuff such as navigation. I also looked through the pocket checklist and official NATOPS Manual of the A Model but it seems like there’s not much information in there as well.

Or does anybody else has any recommendations?

DCS F-14 Tomcat Alley Discord Server:

Cobra, thanks for being so active here lately and Merry Christmas to the whole team!

Is the manual going to cover everything a RIO needs to know for his Backseater job? I was trying to update my knowledge with stuff on the internet but there’s barely anything to read through regarding the AWG-9 and other stuff such as navigation. I also looked through the pocket checklist and official NATOPS Manual of the A Model but it seems like there’s not much information in there as well.

Or does anybody else has any recommendations?

The online copies of the NATOPS manual have the relevant RIO pages removed. We will have to rely on Heatblur to describe how to use the AWG-9 to the fidelity it is modeled to. I do wonder if it will be like how the Ka-50 turned out where the manual didn't cover everything that could be done with the helicopter.

Would be cool if the F-14 RIO position was the same. It would allow those who spend a little more time understanding HOW the system works to outpace the Jester AI. While I know many are looking forward to Jester and how it works, I have no use for him. I am not buying the Tomcat to fly it solo. Can't really love the bird if you dream of flying it on your own imo.

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

The online copies of the NATOPS manual have the relevant RIO pages removed. We will have to rely on Heatblur to describe how to use the AWG-9 to the fidelity it is modeled to. I do wonder if it will be like how the Ka-50 turned out where the manual didn't cover everything that could be done with the helicopter.

Would be cool if the F-14 RIO position was the same. It would allow those who spend a little more time understanding HOW the system works to outpace the Jester AI. While I know many are looking forward to Jester and how it works, I have no use for him. I am not buying the Tomcat to fly it solo. Can't really love the bird if you dream of flying it on your own imo.

Yeah I figured that they removed the relevant pages due to Security reasons. I hope that the Manual actually covers whatever is needed to be successful RIO though. I dont have a use for Jester or the Pilot AI either, I want to fly this beauty online with others and enjoy the two seat / teamwork combination to its fullest.

Yeah I figured that they removed the relevant pages due to Security reasons. I hope that the Manual actually covers whatever is needed to be successful RIO though. I dont have a use for Jester or the Pilot AI either, I want to fly this beauty online with others and enjoy the two seat / teamwork combination to its fullest.

I feel the same way, and looking forward to it all the more because of it. I was worried that the rabbit hole of RIO duties wasn't going to be deep enough at first. However looking at the direction of the last update is seems there will be included a certain level of nuance for the operator to grow into being a RIO. Maybe we will have a chance to fly together. Which position do you favor or like me are you undecided?

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah I was concerned about the RIO Duties aswell but the last two community updates convinced me that there will be more than enough to learn as a RIO. Oh and to answer your question, I’m more a backseater guy and that’s why I’m mainly looking forward to learn all the systems the RIO has to deal with (I worked on Tornados in the German AF for many years before switching over to the NATO AWACS and I always loved to see the interaction between the pilot and the backseater, the fact that they have to rely on each other’s skill in order to be successful is simply amazing in my eyes). If you’re interested in flying the Tomcat with others check out our Facebook Group, it’s called: DCS F-14 A/B Pilot/RIO Lounge. Im also thinking about renting a TS Server for Pilot/RIO Communication ingame and to hang around with other Tomcat enthusiasts.

Edited by Lt.Seahawk

Yeah I was concerned about the RIO Duties aswell but the last two community updates convinced me that there will be more than enough to learn as a RIO. Oh and to answer your question, I’m more a backseater guy and that’s why I’m mainly looking forward to learn all the systems the RIO has to deal with (I worked on Tornados in the German AF for many years before switching over to the NATO AWACS and I always loved to see the interaction between the pilot and the backseater, the fact that they have to rely on each other’s skill in order to be successful is simply amazing in my eyes). If you’re interested in flying the Tomcat with others check out our Facebook Group, it’s called: DCS F-14 A/B Pilot/RIO Lounge. Im also thinking about renting a TS Server for Pilot/RIO Communication ingame and to hang around with other Tomcat enthusiasts.

I'm already a member of that group :thumbup:. Initials JW.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I feel the same way, and looking forward to it all the more because of it. I was worried that the rabbit hole of RIO duties wasn't going to be deep enough at first. However looking at the direction of the last update is seems there will be included a certain level of nuance for the operator to grow into being a RIO. Maybe we will have a chance to fly together. Which position do you favor or like me are you undecided?

Yeah, much of the specifics for the AWG-9 are still classified at certain levels as well as much of the actual tactics employed. The supplemental NAVAIR 01-F-14AAA-1.1 has the majority of the performance charts and required tasks are broken down for the Pilots' and Rios' methods for things like Airspeed Position Error Corrections, Servoed Altimeter Residual Error Corrections, Altimeter Position Error Corrections, determining takeoff speeds/distances and other performance issues like critical engine failure speeds, field lengths, climb performance, single engine performance and then goes into climb and decent calculations, cruise and endurance as well as landing calculations. It also has the flight's mission planning and combat performance charts. None of it concerns weapons use or anything, just the tasks for successful flight ops. Much is for pre/inflight info and corrections, good stuff, though I don't know how much of that stuff is really needed in DCS.

Edited by punk

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Our manual will be very detailed and will go through the entire gamut of functions and training you'll need for the RIO position.

At present, I do not believe there is any part (including the most sensitive areas) of the AWG-9 radar and associated systems which are foreign to us, which we are very happy about!

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Our manual will be very detailed and will go through the entire gamut of functions and training you'll need for the RIO position.

At present, I do not believe there is any part (including the most sensitive areas) of the AWG-9 radar and associated systems which are foreign to us, which we are very happy about!

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Thanks for the update cobra, I’m sure that there will be plenty to read through then :thumbup:

Cobra,

is the F-14 manual going to be 'print-ready' for release or is it going to be a draft "beta" in the same way as it is currently for the Viggen?

Many thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Before I totally forget this;

We opened up a Discord Server Room for F-14 Pilots/RIOs. That way you dont have to search for a available human Pilot/RIO whenever you want to fly online. Just hop on and look if anybody is there to fly with.

F-14 Pilot/RIO Lounge Discord Link:

https://discord.gg/J4efVKD

• 1 month later...

Since its the RIOs responsability to announce the Speed at all times during approach onto a carrier for example I found this quite useful to read through although its just for FCLP ops. Its has all the LSO announcements in there and describes the indication of the "Meatball". For proper Intercom this might be interesting for some of you.

P-1211.PDF

• 1 month later...