Something is Very Wrong Here (AA Missiles)

DCS FIGHTER PILOT

In the tracks below, I attempted, and succeeded, in kinetically defeating both adders and amraams from very close range. In some of the tracks, I was a fully loaded f-18 at high altitude and was able to still outperform the missiles. Clearly something is very wrong here, whether it be the drag coefficients of the missiles or something else. In most, if not in each case, I should have been a fireball. Now I know a lot of you will say something along the lines of, "How do you know something is wrong? Where is the data to prove otherwise?" Unfortunately, along with most of you, I do not have the data to prove otherwise. However, even without concrete data it is clear just from basic common sense that these missiles are underperforming. What is causing this underperformance? Is it that drag coefficients are too high or is it because the missiles perform unnecessary maneuvers that deplete their energy faster than it should? Now I must say, I am fairly impressed with what HB did with the Phoenix. That missile just FEELS right. Perhaps it is because it lofts, something that ED missiles, besides the Aim-7, do not do. In reality, at least the AMRAAM and most certainly other modern air to air missiles, loft to take advantage of the low density air at higher altitudes. Just look at this

Perhaps this is the big problem with DCS missiles, but I am sure the drag coefficients are still to high. I think that most of you would agree with me in saying that this "problem," has plagued DCS long enough and that it is time to cure it. In my mind, and please correct me if I am dead wrong, the perfect DCS missile would A) Loft, and B) have about 20-25% less drag than it has now, ESPECIALLY AT LOWER SPEEDS, see the tracks. I encourage everyone who sees this post to comment and support it so that we can put the B back into BVR!

DCS FIGHTER PILOT

SIDE NOTE

These Tracks were all recorded in DCS Open BETA version 2.5.5.39003

The Deadly AMRAAM.trk

The Deadly AMRAAM 2.trk

The Deadly AMRAAM 3.trk

The Deadly AMRAAM 4.trk

Behold! The Mighty Adder!.trk

Behold! The Mighty Adder! 2.trk

Edited by DCS FIGHTER PILOT

Not even a 4nm shot guarantees you a kill, no shot does. All radar missiles in DCS can be notched and spoofed by chaff, some more, some less. Amraams in particular are pretty trash and unreliable.

I'm not even talking about chaff here, I am simply talking about just plain kinetically defeating it. When chaff gets involved things go downhill even more rapidly.

I'm not even talking about chaff here, I am simply talking about just plain kinetically defeating it. When chaff gets involved things go downhill even more rapidly.

Notching and chaffing seems to work ok, against a 120 chaffing won't work, notching is so difficult, but kinematics seems to be a bit flawed, but that's even ok, in my opinion guidance is the real issue.